> Prev
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Addition to my Photo Kit.
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 17:19:58 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
When I made my move to Fujifilm with the X-E2 one of my goals was to reduce
weight without sacrificing IQ. To that end I was successful. However, when I
bought my X-T2 with the 24MB X-Trans III sensor, and added the
battery/booster grip to get the full potential of the X-T2 much of the weight
saving benefit was negated. The fully configured X-T2 feels much like my
D300S+grip.I certainly cannot claim that it is lightweight, smaller than a
DSLR+grip, but not much lighter.

While I could remove the battery/booster grip for those walk-around moments
that is not the most convenient solution. I have been using my X-E2 as that
light weight, compact for those occasions, and as a spare body. Unfortunately
the X-E2 does not make an ideal pairing with the X-T2 as they have different
sensors, and CPUs. So I have just bought a new X-E3 with the 24MP X-Trans
III. It arrived on Wednesday, and I have been enjoying my new acquisition. It
is actually smaller and lighter than the X-E2. It makes the perfect
lightweight, second body companion to my X-T2. Paired with the XF23mm f/2.0,
or the XF35mm f/1.4 it is a great walk-around/street set up. IQ is identical
to the X-T2. I am not a fan of the Touch screen so for most functions I have
the Touch screen feature turned off, and use the ‘joystick’ for stuff
like moving focus points.

It is so small that, though they perform well, some lenses, such as the
XF16mm f/1.4 just look silly on that small body, and in other than
exceptional situations will be used exclusively on the X-T2.

<http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_e3/&g...

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Addition to my Photo Kit.
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 00:54:56 +0100
In article<0001HW.1FE4AC3E004C6BEB70000BABC2CF@news.giganews.com>,
Savageduck says...

> While I could remove the battery/booster grip for those walk-around moments
> that is not the most convenient solution. I have been using my X-E2 as that
> light weight, compact for those occasions, and as a spare body. Unfortunately
> the X-E2 does not make an ideal pairing with the X-T2 as they have different
> sensors, and CPUs. So I have just bought a new X-E3 with the 24MP X-Trans
> III. It arrived on Wednesday, and I have been enjoying my new acquisition. It
> is actually smaller and lighter than the X-E2. It makes the perfect
> lightweight, second body companion to my X-T2. Paired with the XF23mm f/2.0,
> or the XF35mm f/1.4 it is a great walk-around/street set up. IQ is identical
> to the X-T2. I am not a fan of the Touch screen so for most functions I have
> the Touch screen feature turned off, and use the ?joystick? for stuff
> like moving focus points.
>
> It is so small that, though they perform well, some lenses, such as the
> XF16mm f/1.4 just look silly on that small body, and in other than
> exceptional situations will be used exclusively on the X-T2.
>
> <http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_e3/&g...

So now you have three Fuji bodies...?

Conceptwise it seems to be like the Olympus Pen-F (also a street
photography camera). How is it with larger/heavier lenses, given that
the grip is quite small?
--
Alfred Molon

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 16:36:20 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
On Dec 16, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in article<MPG.349fd0bb1eeaf3b98cf32@news.supernews.com>):

> In article<0001HW.1FE4AC3E004C6BEB70000BABC2CF@news.giganews.com>,
> Savageduck says...
>
> > While I could remove the battery/booster grip for those walk-around moments
> > that is not the most convenient solution. I have been using my X-E2 as that
> > light weight, compact for those occasions, and as a spare body.
> > Unfortunately
> > the X-E2 does not make an ideal pairing with the X-T2 as they have different
> > sensors, and CPUs. So I have just bought a new X-E3 with the 24MP X-Trans
> > III. It arrived on Wednesday, and I have been enjoying my new acquisition.
> > It
> > is actually smaller and lighter than the X-E2. It makes the perfect
> > lightweight, second body companion to my X-T2. Paired with the XF23mm f/2.0,
> > or the XF35mm f/1.4 it is a great walk-around/street set up. IQ is identical
> > to the X-T2. I am not a fan of the Touch screen so for most functions I have
> > the Touch screen feature turned off, and use the ?joystick? for stuff
> > like moving focus points.
> >
> > It is so small that, though they perform well, some lenses, such as the
> > XF16mm f/1.4 just look silly on that small body, and in other than
> > exceptional situations will be used exclusively on the X-T2.
> >
> > <http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_e3/&g...
>
> So now you have three Fuji bodies...?

Yup! However, it is going to make sense to sell, or gift the X-E2 as I
don’t see it getting too much use now that I have the X-E3.
....but I still have my D70, and D300S

> Conceptwise it seems to be like the Olympus Pen-F (also a street
> photography camera). How is it with larger/heavier lenses, given that
> the grip is quite small?

It is surprisingly small, even smaller than the X-E2, and it made sense that
they did away with the D-pad. Doing that creates a larger area for the right
thumb, that and a slightly enlarged swell to the right front of the body to
provide a better grip than the X-E2.

With larger, heavier lenses such as the XF16mm f1.4 and the XF55-200mm it is
off balance.
It is better suited to my physically smaller lenses such as the XF14mm f/2.8,
XF23mm f/2.0, XF35 f/1.4, and the XF18-55mm f/2.8-4.0. It will also do well
with some lenses I don’t own such as the 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/2.0, and the
two pancake lenses the 18mm f/2.0 &  27mm f/2.8.

That said, I can see times when it will be beneficial to have two bodies with
the same sensor, and CPU, mounted with different lenses. For now I will
segregate their usage depending on my needs.
--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 08:54:07 +0100
In article<0001HW.1FE5F384001592C67000071A02CF@news.giganews.com>,
Savageduck says...
> That said, I can see times when it will be beneficial to have two bodies with
> the same sensor, and CPU, mounted with different lenses. For now I will
> segregate their usage depending on my needs.

What kind of photography do you do mostly?
--
Alfred Molon

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 09:55:35 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
On Dec 16, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
(in article<MPG.34a041093636f2a098cf33@news.supernews.com>):

> In article<0001HW.1FE5F384001592C67000071A02CF@news.giganews.com>,
> Savageduck says...
> > That said, I can see times when it will be beneficial to have two bodies
> > with
> > the same sensor, and CPU, mounted with different lenses. For now I will
> > segregate their usage depending on my needs.
>
> What kind of photography do you do mostly?

Mostly?

myphotography is pretty eclectic covering most subjects including, but not
limited to landscape, street, architecture, candid, travel, airshow,
autoshow, motor sport, some sporting events, wildlife, personal portraiture,
all from a hobbyist perspective, mostly anything that opportunity presents
me. I am contemplating adding some macro, and IR to that list, all of it is
something to keep me occupied in my retired old fartdom.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 02:47:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 17:55:47 UTC, Savageduck  wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2017, Alfred Molon wrote
> (in article<MPG.34a041093636f2a098cf33@news.supernews.com>):
>
> > In article<0001HW.1FE5F384001592C67000071A02CF@news.giganews.com>,
> > Savageduck says...
> > > That said, I can see times when it will be beneficial to have two bodies
> > > with
> > > the same sensor, and CPU, mounted with different lenses. For now I will
> > > segregate their usage depending on my needs.
> >
> > What kind of photography do you do mostly?
>
> Mostly?

They mostly come out at night, mostly.

Next <
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 14:43:56 +0000
On 16/12/2017 01:19, Savageduck wrote:
> When I made my move to Fujifilm with the X-E2 one of my goals was to reduce
> weight without sacrificing IQ. To that end I was successful. However, when I
> bought my X-T2 with the 24MB X-Trans III sensor, and added the
> battery/booster grip to get the full potential of the X-T2 much of the weight
> saving benefit was negated. The fully configured X-T2 feels much like my
> D300S+grip.I certainly cannot claim that it is lightweight, smaller than a
> DSLR+grip, but not much lighter.
>
> While I could remove the battery/booster grip for those walk-around moments
> that is not the most convenient solution. I have been using my X-E2 as that
> light weight, compact for those occasions, and as a spare body. Unfortunately
> the X-E2 does not make an ideal pairing with the X-T2 as they have different
> sensors, and CPUs. So I have just bought a new X-E3 with the 24MP X-Trans
> III. It arrived on Wednesday, and I have been enjoying my new acquisition. It
> is actually smaller and lighter than the X-E2. It makes the perfect
> lightweight, second body companion to my X-T2. Paired with the XF23mm f/2.0,
> or the XF35mm f/1.4 it is a great walk-around/street set up. IQ is identical
> to the X-T2. I am not a fan of the Touch screen so for most functions I have
> the Touch screen feature turned off, and use the ‘joystick’ for stuff
> like moving focus points.
>
> It is so small that, though they perform well, some lenses, such as the
> XF16mm f/1.4 just look silly on that small body, and in other than
> exceptional situations will be used exclusively on the X-T2.
>
> <http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_e3/&g...

Nice clean retro look too. I always liked the look of the X-100.