> Prev
Subject: Ping Duck
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 00:38:51 -0500
Aurora in not as intuitive as I originally thought. I have yet to get it
to play nicely with LR, and I can't get it to play with Bridge, at all,
without first opening the files in PS.
--
PeterN

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Ping Duck
Full headers:
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 22:50:41 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Dec 20, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article<p1fhdc0iob@news4.newsguy.com>):

> Aurora in not as intuitive as I originally thought. I have yet to get it
> to play nicely with LR, and I can't get it to play with Bridge, at all,
> without first opening the files in PS.

First, are the Aurora plugins for Lightroom, and PS installed?

If not installed open Aurora standalone, go to the menu->Aurora HDR 2018,
click and from the dropdown select Install Plugins.
The plugins are for LS and PS, not Bridge.

What sort of issue are you having with Aurora and Lightroom?

Once the plugin is installed in LR, navigate to the NEF, or NEF exposure
bracket you want to process, and select the files. Right click and scroll to
Export. Select export to Aurora HDR 2018. The Aurora HDR dialog will open
with the individual image, or the images from the exposure bracket with the
EV differential showing.
At the bottom left of that window you will see a gear icon in a button for a
dropdown menu, and a check box for alignment. If you are processing a bracket
check the Alignment box.

Click on the Gear button and a sub-window will open giving you options for
Ghost Reduction, Color Denoise, and Chromatic Aberration Removal. Select
according to taste, but if you are processing a bracket iit is best to make
good use of those options. after you have selected your options, click on
Create HDR, the HDR will then open in the main editing window for you to do
what you will to it. When you are done, click on Apply/Save and the processed
HDR will be returned to LR with an AuroraHDR tag.

For Bridge, navigate to the NEF, or NEF exposure bracket, select the files;
right click on the selection, and choose Open In-> Aurora HDR 2018, and
follow the procedure as above. The big exception is, you will be working in
the standalone app, and when you are finished you will Save back to location
of the original files, or export using the File Menu, and the options you
will find there.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 23:01:20 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Dec 20, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in article<0001HW.1FEB9141016688E7700001FF12CF@news.giganews.com>):

> On Dec 20, 2017, PeterN wrote
> (in article<p1fhdc0iob@news4.newsguy.com>):
>
> > Aurora in not as intuitive as I originally thought. I have yet to get it
> > to play nicely with LR, and I can't get it to play with Bridge, at all,
> > without first opening the files in PS.
>
> First, are the Aurora plugins for Lightroom, and PS installed?
>
> If not installed open Aurora standalone, go to the menu->Aurora HDR 2018,
> click and from the dropdown select Install Plugins.
> The plugins are for LS and PS, not Bridge.
>
> What sort of issue are you having with Aurora and Lightroom?
>
> Once the plugin is installed in LR, navigate to the NEF, or NEF exposure
> bracket you want to process, and select the files. Right click and scroll to
> Export. Select export to Aurora HDR 2018. The Aurora HDR dialog will open
> with the individual image, or the images from the exposure bracket with the
> EV differential showing.
> At the bottom left of that window you will see a gear icon in a button for a
> dropdown menu, and a check box for alignment. If you are processing a bracket
> check the Alignment box.
>
> Click on the Gear button and a sub-window will open giving you options for
> Ghost Reduction, Color Denoise, and Chromatic Aberration Removal. Select
> according to taste, but if you are processing a bracket iit is best to make
> good use of those options. after you have selected your options, click on
> Create HDR, the HDR will then open in the main editing window for you to do
> what you will to it. When you are done, click on Apply/Save and the processed
> HDR will be returned to LR with an AuroraHDR tag.
>
> For Bridge, navigate to the NEF, or NEF exposure bracket, select the files;
> right click on the selection, and choose Open In->  Aurora HDR 2018, and
> follow the procedure as above. The big exception is, you will be working in
> the standalone app, and when you are finished you will Save back to location
> of the original files, or export using the File Menu, and the options you
> will find there.

Also, for Bridge you should not need to open PS first.

Here is a 5 shot NEF bracket shot with my D300S at Hearst Castle on a night
tour, handheld in impossible light. Opened from Bridge and processed in
Aurora HDR 2018.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/3keh4tprj385221/screenshot_257.png>

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhkoq09t45n4h0t/screenshot_256.png>

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 21:30:30 -0500
On 12/21/2017 1:50 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2017, PeterN wrote
> (in article<p1fhdc0iob@news4.newsguy.com>):
>
>> Aurora in not as intuitive as I originally thought. I have yet to get it
>> to play nicely with LR, and I can't get it to play with Bridge, at all,
>> without first opening the files in PS.
>
> First, are the Aurora plugins for Lightroom, and PS installed?

The Aurora installation shows both LT @ PS plugins checked. PS shows the
plugin. I have been unable to find Aurora in LR. When I try open the
files in an external editor, Aurora does not appear.
When I use PS, the Aurora filter is there. When I try the Export, and
select Aurora, nothing happens.

> If not installed open Aurora standalone, go to the menu->Aurora HDR 2018,
> click and from the dropdown select Install Plugins.
> The plugins are for LS and PS, not Bridge.
>
> What sort of issue are you having with Aurora and Lightroom?

I have not been able to process Aurora files, from LR. Aurora does a
fine job when I manually select the images from its own open file window.

> Once the plugin is installed in LR, navigate to the NEF, or NEF exposure
> bracket you want to process, and select the files. Right click and scroll to
> Export. Select export to Aurora HDR 2018. The Aurora HDR dialog will open
> with the individual image, or the images from the exposure bracket with the
> EV differential showing.
> At the bottom left of that window you will see a gear icon in a button for a
> dropdown menu, and a check box for alignment. If you are processing a bracket
> check the Alignment box.
>
> Click on the Gear button and a sub-window will open giving you options for
> Ghost Reduction, Color Denoise, and Chromatic Aberration Removal. Select
> according to taste, but if you are processing a bracket iit is best to make
> good use of those options. after you have selected your options, click on
> Create HDR, the HDR will then open in the main editing window for you to do
> what you will to it. When you are done, click on Apply/Save and the processed
> HDR will be returned to LR with an AuroraHDR tag.

Thanks. I finally got it. I was using the wrong export button.

> For Bridge, navigate to the NEF, or NEF exposure bracket, select the files;
> right click on the selection, and choose Open In-> Aurora HDR 2018, and
> follow the procedure as above. The big exception is, you will be working in
> the standalone app, and when you are finished you will Save back to location
> of the original files, or export using the File Menu, and the options you
> will find there.

I still can't get it to work in Bridge. When I right click there is no
option to open with Aurora. Strange the only option is to open in PS CC
2017., but the file opens in CC 2018.  however according to the CC
opener, I am opening the latest version. Version 8.0.1.282. I just sent
a help me note to Macphun.

--
PeterN

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 19:40:18 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Dec 21, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article<p1hqo701sl@news3.newsguy.com>):

> On 12/21/2017 1:50 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> > On Dec 20, 2017, PeterN wrote
> > (in article<p1fhdc0iob@news4.newsguy.com>):
> >
> > > Aurora in not as intuitive as I originally thought. I have yet to get it
> > > to play nicely with LR, and I can't get it to play with Bridge, at all,
> > > without first opening the files in PS.
> >
> > First, are the Aurora plugins for Lightroom, and PS installed?
> The Aurora installation shows both LT @ PS plugins checked. PS shows the
> plugin. I have been unable to find Aurora in LR. When I try open the
> files in an external editor, Aurora does not appear.

As you will read further on, Aurora does not appear in the LR external editor
menu. You have to use the Export menu to export either single files, or a
selected exposure bracker to Aurora.

> When I use PS, the Aurora filter is there. When I try the Export, and
> select Aurora, nothing happens.

I have found that PS is awkward to use to process exposure bracket. However,
it is very useful when applying tone-mapping to a single exposure. Just make
a duplicate layer, go to Filters->Skylume Software->  Aurora, and do your
thing.

> > If not installed open Aurora standalone, go to the menu->Aurora HDR 2018,
> > click and from the dropdown select Install Plugins.
> > The plugins are for LS and PS, not Bridge.
> >
> > What sort of issue are you having with Aurora and Lightroom?
> I have not been able to process Aurora files, from LR. Aurora does a
> fine job when I manually select the images from its own open file window.
>
> > Once the plugin is installed in LR, navigate to the NEF, or NEF exposure
> > bracket you want to process, and select the files. Right click and scroll to
> > Export. Select export to Aurora HDR 2018. The Aurora HDR dialog will open
> > with the individual image, or the images from the exposure bracket with the
> > EV differential showing.
> > At the bottom left of that window you will see a gear icon in a button for a
> > dropdown menu, and a check box for alignment. If you are processing a
> > bracket
> > check the Alignment box.
> >
> > Click on the Gear button and a sub-window will open giving you options for
> > Ghost Reduction, Color Denoise, and Chromatic Aberration Removal. Select
> > according to taste, but if you are processing a bracket iit is best to make
> > good use of those options. after you have selected your options, click on
> > Create HDR, the HDR will then open in the main editing window for you to do
> > what you will to it. When you are done, click on Apply/Save and the
> > processed
> > HDR will be returned to LR with an AuroraHDR tag.
>
> Thanks. I finally got it. I was using the wrong export button.

Phew!

> > For Bridge, navigate to the NEF, or NEF exposure bracket, select the files;
> > right click on the selection, and choose Open In->  Aurora HDR 2018, and
> > follow the procedure as above. The big exception is, you will be working in
> > the standalone app, and when you are finished you will Save back to location
> > of the original files, or export using the File Menu, and the options you
> > will find there.
> I still can't get it to work in Bridge. When I right click there is no
> option to open with Aurora. Strange the only option is to open in PS CC
> 2017., but the file opens in CC 2018. however according to the CC
> opener, I am opening the latest version. Version 8.0.1.282. I just sent
> a help me note to Macphun.

With my right click after selecting a bracket in Bridge I get a sub-menu with
Open (default); Open In (a list of all the installed apps which can open the
file type); and Open in Camera RAW.
This is what it looks like:

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9nomutlmruz9sd/screenshot_263.png>

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:50:15 -0500
On 12/21/2017 10:40 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> [...]
>>> right click on the selection, and choose Open In->  Aurora HDR 2018, and
>>> follow the procedure as above. The big exception is, you will be working in
>>> the standalone app, and when you are finished you will Save back to location
>>> of the original files, or export using the File Menu, and the options you
>>> will find there.
>> I still can't get it to work in Bridge. When I right click there is no
>> option to open with Aurora. Strange the only option is to open in PS CC
>> 2017., but the file opens in CC 2018. however according to the CC
>> opener, I am opening the latest version. Version 8.0.1.282. I just sent
>> a help me note to Macphun.
>
> With my right click after selecting a bracket in Bridge I get a sub-menu with
> Open (default); Open In (a list of all the installed apps which can open the

Here is what I get, steps included.
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/18bh30m3vycoamx/Aurora%20issue.zip?dl=0>

--
PeterN

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 06:56:40 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Dec 22, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article<p1j6ru07vn@news6.newsguy.com>):

> On 12/21/2017 10:40 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> >
> > With my right click after selecting a bracket in Bridge I get a sub-menu
> > with Open (default); Open In (a list of all the installed apps which can open the
> > file type); and Open in Camera RAW.
> > This is what it looks like:
> >
> > <https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9nomutlmruz9sd/screenshot_263.png>
>
> Here is what I get, steps included.
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/18bh30m3vycoamx/Aurora%20issue.zip?dl=0>

Zip files! Why are you trying to open zip files with Aurora?

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 10:17:15 -0500
On 12/22/2017 9:56 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2017, PeterN wrote
> (in article<p1j6ru07vn@news6.newsguy.com>):
>
>> On 12/21/2017 10:40 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>>>
>>> With my right click after selecting a bracket in Bridge I get a sub-menu
>>> with Open (default); Open In (a list of all the installed apps which can open the
>>> file type); and Open in Camera RAW.
>>> This is what it looks like:
>>>
>>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9nomutlmruz9sd/screenshot_263.png>
>>
>> Here is what I get, steps included.
>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/18bh30m3vycoamx/Aurora%20issue.zip?dl=0>
>
> Zip files! Why are you trying to open zip files with Aurora?

You don't need Aurora to open the file. It is a record of the steps, and
the final screenshot of my result.
It is definitely not the same as yours, and I can't figure out why. Last
night I sent it to Macphun help.

--
PeterN

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 07:43:04 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Dec 22, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article<p1j8ei08oi@news6.newsguy.com>):

> On 12/22/2017 9:56 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> > On Dec 22, 2017, PeterN wrote
> > (in article<p1j6ru07vn@news6.newsguy.com>):

> > > Here is what I get, steps included.
> > > <https://www.dropbox.com/s/18bh30m3vycoamx/Aurora%20issue.zip?dl=0>
> >
> > Zip files! Why are you trying to open zip files with Aurora?
>
> You don't need Aurora to open the file. It is a record of the steps, and
> the final screenshot of my result.
> It is definitely not the same as yours, and I can't figure out why. Last
> night I sent it to Macphun help.

OK! That might be what you intended, but for whatever reason Dropbox seems to
be choking on your zip file. I tried downloading it and I don’t get a .zip
file. I get a Google Chrome file with this name: Problem_20171222_0943.mht
and I am not able to open it in anything, let alone unzip it.

I hope that the folks at Macphun can open it, if that is what you sent them.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 15:03:25 +1300
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 07:43:04 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On Dec 22, 2017, PeterN wrote
>(in article<p1j8ei08oi@news6.newsguy.com>):
>
>> On 12/22/2017 9:56 AM, Savageduck wrote:
>> > On Dec 22, 2017, PeterN wrote
>> > (in article<p1j6ru07vn@news6.newsguy.com>):

>> > Zip files! Why are you trying to open zip files with Aurora?
>>
>> You don't need Aurora to open the file. It is a record of the steps, and
>> the final screenshot of my result.
>> It is definitely not the same as yours, and I can't figure out why. Last
>> night I sent it to Macphun help.
>
>OK! That might be what you intended, but for whatever reason Dropbox seems to
>be choking on your zip file. I tried downloading it and I don’t get a .zip
>file. I get a Google Chrome file with this name: Problem_20171222_0943.mht
>and I am not able to open it in anything, let alone unzip it.
>
>I hope that the folks at Macphun can open it, if that is what you sent them.

I tried opening it and I finished up with a splurge for Edge (which I
have never used).
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Next <
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 18:20:17 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <p1fhdc0iob@news4.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FEB9141016688E7700001FF12CF@news.giganews.com> <p1hqo701sl@news3.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FECB62201AB2D607000004622CF@news.giganews.com> <p1j6ru07vn@news6.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FED54A801D0546B7000004622CF@news.giganews.com> <p1j8ei08oi@news6.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FED5F8801D2E0DF7000004622CF@news.giganews.com> <b9er3dhks6i5uv5uesg0vd4fptkkuh4r99@4ax.com>
On Dec 22, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in article<b9er3dhks6i5uv5uesg0vd4fptkkuh4r99@4ax.com>):

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 07:43:04 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>  wrote:
>
> > On Dec 22, 2017, PeterN wrote
> > (in article<p1j8ei08oi@news6.newsguy.com>):

> > > You don't need Aurora to open the file. It is a record of the steps, and
> > > the final screenshot of my result.
> > > It is definitely not the same as yours, and I can't figure out why. Last
> > > night I sent it to Macphun help.
> >
> > OK! That might be what you intended, but for whatever reason Dropbox seems
> > be choking on your zip file. I tried downloading it and I don’t get a .zip
> > file. I get a Google Chrome file with this name: Problem_20171222_0943.mht
> > and I am not able to open it in anything, let alone unzip it.
> >
> > I hope that the folks at Macphun can open it, if that is what you sent them.
>
> I tried opening it and I finished up with a splurge for Edge (which I
> have never used).

I haven’t managed to open it at all. I have only been able to download the
x.mht file, and not get any further. I will wait for Peter to explain what
might be actually happening.
At this stage I am not having the issues he is experiencing opening image
files in Aurora via Bridge. We are both using Bridge CC, so the only
difference I can see is one of macOS vs WIN, and that shouldn’t be an
issue.

--

Regards,
Savageduck