> Prev
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Subject: Upgrade report - SSD & photo software
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 12:27:49 -0800
I finally gave up on the cloning, and did a fresh install of Win 10 on
a new SSD. The point of this was to see if I could rejuvenate a 7 or 8
year old laptop, and to see how much better LR would work with only
the change from HDD to an SSD. The laptop is maxed out at 8 GB memory,
and has a 2.2 Ghz Intel CPU.

The main test I used was the spot removal function, which was usable,
but terribly crippled before the changes. After choosing a large-ish
target area, I would move the source area around to see how easily it
would follow the mouse movement. Before the SSD, it would take
forever. So the verdict is that the SSD made a huge difference, and is
definitely worth a try if you have a PC that seems a bit sluggish
working with photo software. Spot removal now works nearly as well as
on my far better spec'd desktop. It's like having a new laptop.

But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
times, also. At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all. So if you do have
some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
that's not an antique, but you should expect problems. Mine seem to
have diminished considerably. Maybe Windows fixes itself. And if
you're happy with an earlier version of Windows, an SSD will almost
certainly be a huge improvement.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Upgrade report - SSD & photo software
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 16:03:55 -0500
In article<uo954dt1i56lru1cvrhbvadhii27tno1q9@4ax.com>, Bill W<nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:

> But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
> restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
> times, also.

while windows has its issues, there shouldn't be any crashes at all,
repeated or not.

> At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
> anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all.

that could be why you are having crashes.

> So if you do have
> some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
> laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
> that's not an antique, but you should expect problems. Mine seem to
> have diminished considerably. Maybe Windows fixes itself. And if
> you're happy with an earlier version of Windows, an SSD will almost
> certainly be a huge improvement.

swapping an hd for an ssd has zero effect on the choice of os.

if whatever is on there now works, it will work after the swap, just
faster. it's just 'another sata drive'.

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 13:43:05 -0800
On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 16:03:55 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article<uo954dt1i56lru1cvrhbvadhii27tno1q9@4ax.com>, Bill W
><nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
>> restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
>> times, also.
>
>while windows has its issues, there shouldn't be any crashes at all,
>repeated or not.

Using it recently after I was done with everything, there haven't been
any crashes, but I haven't used it much. It might be okay, though.

>> At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
>> anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all.
>
>that could be why you are having crashes.

It might also be why I have low read/write speeds - ~250 for each.

>> So if you do have
>> some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
>> laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
>> that's not an antique, but you should expect problems. Mine seem to
>> have diminished considerably. Maybe Windows fixes itself. And if
>> you're happy with an earlier version of Windows, an SSD will almost
>> certainly be a huge improvement.
>
>swapping an hd for an ssd has zero effect on the choice of os.
>
>if whatever is on there now works, it will work after the swap, just
>faster. it's just 'another sata drive'.

Right - that comment was mostly related to OS upgrades. As a corollary
to what you said, if you're having trouble with Win 10 on an older
laptop, those troubles will obviously continue with an SSD upgrade. My
crashes are probably rooted in the clean install, and the need to find
drivers all over again, along with getting all the settings right.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 17:03:58 -0500
In article<25g54d9djvv11vcke8u7k1ctpcdts6vu92@4ax.com>, Bill W<nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:

> >> At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
> >> anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all.
> >
> >that could be why you are having crashes.
>
> It might also be why I have low read/write speeds - ~250 for each.

250 of what units and what time frame?
and how is the drive connected?

> >> So if you do have
> >> some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
> >> laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
> >> that's not an antique, but you should expect problems. Mine seem to
> >> have diminished considerably. Maybe Windows fixes itself. And if
> >> you're happy with an earlier version of Windows, an SSD will almost
> >> certainly be a huge improvement.
> >
> >swapping an hd for an ssd has zero effect on the choice of os.
> >
> >if whatever is on there now works, it will work after the swap, just
> >faster. it's just 'another sata drive'.
>
> Right - that comment was mostly related to OS upgrades. As a corollary
> to what you said, if you're having trouble with Win 10 on an older
> laptop, those troubles will obviously continue with an SSD upgrade.

yep

> My
> crashes are probably rooted in the clean install, and the need to find
> drivers all over again, along with getting all the settings right.

quite likely.

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 17:03:59 -0800
On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 17:03:58 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> >that could be why you are having crashes.
>>
>> It might also be why I have low read/write speeds - ~250 for each.
>
>250 of what units and what time frame?

MB/s. Isn't Sata 2 limited to 300? I'm assuming that's the issue.

>and how is the drive connected?

It's a laptop, so there are no options internally.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 20:11:33 -0500
In article<m3s54dtnjeqo3ti1k6djrqvmj9j45brb95@4ax.com>, Bill W<nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:

> >> It might also be why I have low read/write speeds - ~250 for each.
> >
> >250 of what units and what time frame?
>
> MB/s. Isn't Sata 2 limited to 300? I'm assuming that's the issue.

yep, so 250 mbyte/s is reasonable.

> >and how is the drive connected?
>
> It's a laptop, so there are no options internally.

internal would be sata.

external could be anything.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 21:44:44 -0500
On 12/26/2017 8:11 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> 250 of what units and what time frame?
>>
>> MB/s. Isn't Sata 2 limited to 300? I'm assuming that's the issue.
>
> yep, so 250 mbyte/s is reasonable.
>
>>> and how is the drive connected?
>>
>> It's a laptop, so there are no options internally.
>
> internal would be sata.
>
> external could be anything.

Regardless of computer issues, I just want to wish everybody a happy and
healthy holiday season and following year.

--
PeterN

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 15:25:19 +1300
On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 21:44:44 -0500, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

>On 12/26/2017 8:11 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> MB/s. Isn't Sata 2 limited to 300? I'm assuming that's the issue.
>>
>> yep, so 250 mbyte/s is reasonable.

>>> It's a laptop, so there are no options internally.
>>
>> internal would be sata.
>>
>> external could be anything.
>>

>Regardless of computer issues, I just want to wish everybody a happy and
>healthy holiday season and following year.

Yaah!

You missed me.

I spent Christmas and New Year in hospital having a gangrenous gall
bladder removed.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2018 18:52:25 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
On Jan 7, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in article<dil55dl4e7gjn9kstk1ssrmektarnvhg0g@4ax.com>):

> On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 21:44:44 -0500, PeterN
> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>  wrote:
>
> > On 12/26/2017 8:11 PM, nospam wrote:

> > > yep, so 250 mbyte/s is reasonable.

> > > internal would be sata.
> > >
> > > external could be anything.
> >

> > Regardless of computer issues, I just want to wish everybody a happy and
> > healthy holiday season and following year.
>
> Yaah!
>
> You missed me.
>
> I spent Christmas and New Year in hospital having a gangrenous gall
> bladder removed.

My commiserations, and I hope you are doing better now.

I had gall bladder surgery back in 2004, let us just say that the pain was
exquisite, and I was thankful to be rid of it. I had laprascopic surgery,
which was much better than having to be open up, but the overall effect was
as if I had been stabbed in the belly five times.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
References: <uo954dt1i56lru1cvrhbvadhii27tno1q9@4ax.com> <261220171603550424%nospam@nospam.invalid> <25g54d9djvv11vcke8u7k1ctpcdts6vu92@4ax.com> <261220171703586573%nospam@nospam.invalid> <m3s54dtnjeqo3ti1k6djrqvmj9j45brb95@4ax.com> <261220172011331927%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p1v29c01pnd@news6.newsguy.com> <dil55dl4e7gjn9kstk1ssrmektarnvhg0g@4ax.com> <0001HW.20031469027E2DF7700001AFA2CF@news.giganews.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 22:12:13 +1300
On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 18:52:25 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On Jan 7, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
>(in article<dil55dl4e7gjn9kstk1ssrmektarnvhg0g@4ax.com>):
>
>> On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 21:44:44 -0500, PeterN
>> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>  wrote:

>> > Regardless of computer issues, I just want to wish everybody a happy and
>> > healthy holiday season and following year.
>>
>> Yaah!
>>
>> You missed me.
>>
>> I spent Christmas and New Year in hospital having a gangrenous gall
>> bladder removed.
>
>My commiserations, and I hope you are doing better now.
>
>I had gall bladder surgery back in 2004, let us just say that the pain was
>exquisite, and I was thankful to be rid of it. I had laprascopic surgery,
>which was much better than having to be open up, but the overall effect was
>as if I had been stabbed in the belly five times.

I have only three holes and the pain was not too bad. In fact they had
to have two goes. The first was laparascopic and the second was down
my throat, through my stomach and small intestine and back up the bile
duct. What was supposed to take 1 hour in total took 4 hours on the
first effort and the second took another hour. I think I suffered most
from the anasthesia and I have yet to completely recover. PeterN has
COPD. I presently have POCD. No wonder I get muddled.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 21:52:40 -0500
On 1/8/2018 4:12 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 18:52:25 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 7, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
>> (in article<dil55dl4e7gjn9kstk1ssrmektarnvhg0g@4ax.com>):

>>> Yaah!
>>>
>>> You missed me.
>>>
>>> I spent Christmas and New Year in hospital having a gangrenous gall
>>> bladder removed.
>>
>> My commiserations, and I hope you are doing better now.
>>
>> I had gall bladder surgery back in 2004, let us just say that the pain was
>> exquisite, and I was thankful to be rid of it. I had laprascopic surgery,
>> which was much better than having to be open up, but the overall effect was
>> as if I had been stabbed in the belly five times.
>
> I have only three holes and the pain was not too bad. In fact they had
> to have two goes. The first was laparascopic and the second was down
> my throat, through my stomach and small intestine and back up the bile
> duct. What was supposed to take 1 hour in total took 4 hours on the
> first effort and the second took another hour. I think I suffered most
> from the anasthesia and I have yet to completely recover. PeterN has
> COPD. I presently have POCD. No wonder I get muddled.

I have a interesting schedule, this week.
Pulmanologist - to evaluate my COPD, and determine type and how much
anesthesia for my defibrillator/pacemaker replacement.
It beats the alternative.

--
PeterN

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
References: <uo954dt1i56lru1cvrhbvadhii27tno1q9@4ax.com> <261220171603550424%nospam@nospam.invalid> <25g54d9djvv11vcke8u7k1ctpcdts6vu92@4ax.com> <261220171703586573%nospam@nospam.invalid> <m3s54dtnjeqo3ti1k6djrqvmj9j45brb95@4ax.com> <261220172011331927%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p1v29c01pnd@news6.newsguy.com> <dil55dl4e7gjn9kstk1ssrmektarnvhg0g@4ax.com> <0001HW.20031469027E2DF7700001AFA2CF@news.giganews.com> <i2d65d51klj3kbufp54bid9iiim0tbflp7@4ax.com> <p31bpj02tt2@news6.newsguy.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 21:58:50 +1300
On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 21:52:40 -0500, PeterN

Just about anything does.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 11:46:57 -0500
<j1195ddrnb1q9l0vsop88l1u4ve8ltds5j@4ax.com>
On 1/9/2018 3:58 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 21:52:40 -0500, PeterN
> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 1/8/2018 4:12 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:

>>> I have only three holes and the pain was not too bad. In fact they had
>>> to have two goes. The first was laparascopic and the second was down
>>> my throat, through my stomach and small intestine and back up the bile
>>> duct. What was supposed to take 1 hour in total took 4 hours on the
>>> first effort and the second took another hour. I think I suffered most
>>> from the anasthesia and I have yet to completely recover. PeterN has
>>> COPD. I presently have POCD. No wonder I get muddled.
>>>

>> I have a interesting schedule, this week.
>> Pulmanologist - to evaluate my COPD, and determine type and how much
>> anesthesia for my defibrillator/pacemaker replacement.
>> It beats the alternative.
>
> Just about anything does.

Not necessarily. There is a big difference between living, and being alive.

--
PeterN

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
References: <25g54d9djvv11vcke8u7k1ctpcdts6vu92@4ax.com> <261220171703586573%nospam@nospam.invalid> <m3s54dtnjeqo3ti1k6djrqvmj9j45brb95@4ax.com> <261220172011331927%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p1v29c01pnd@news6.newsguy.com> <dil55dl4e7gjn9kstk1ssrmektarnvhg0g@4ax.com> <0001HW.20031469027E2DF7700001AFA2CF@news.giganews.com> <i2d65d51klj3kbufp54bid9iiim0tbflp7@4ax.com> <p31bpj02tt2@news6.newsguy.com> <j1195ddrnb1q9l0vsop88l1u4ve8ltds5j@4ax.com> <p32rm2125ig@news3.newsguy.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 12:29:02 +1300
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 11:46:57 -0500, PeterN

That's why I wrote 'just'.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com>
From: The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 13:02:09 -0800
On 01/07/2018 06:25 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

> I spent Christmas and New Year in hospital having a gangrenous gall
> bladder removed.

Probably a better celebration than you would have had staying home and
dying :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
   Jesus saves.  Buddha makes incremental backups.

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 15:26:40 +1300
On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 13:02:09 -0800, The Real Bev<bashley101@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 01/07/2018 06:25 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
>
>> I spent Christmas and New Year in hospital having a gangrenous gall
>> bladder removed.
>
>Probably a better celebration than you would have had staying home and
>dying :-(

My thoughts also.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
From: Noons <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 15:10:10 +1100
On 27/12/2017 7:27 @wiz, Bill W wrote:

> But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
> restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
> times, also. At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
> anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all. So if you do hav > some interest in trying the
same thing, check to see what OS your
> laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
> that's not an antique, but you should expect problems.

My Samsung laptop can't be updated to Win10, apparently the wifi chipset
it uses is not "compatible" with it, whatever that means for Microslop
nowadays.
The end result is it will stay on win7Pro-64 for the foreseeable future.
  Which will include an SSD for sure at some stage.

My work laptop is on Win10, it's a recent HP.  And it needs an update
almost every week.  Good thing it's my employerpaying for the downloads,
because I wouldn't!

Same for my desktop: the 3 year old mobo apparently is not "compatible"
either.

Microslop and wheir W10 can go jump in a lake, I'll stick to 7Pro-64.

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 20:43:22 -0800
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 15:10:10 +1100, Noons<wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>On 27/12/2017 7:27 @wiz, Bill W wrote:
>
>> But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
>> restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
>> times, also. At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
>> anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all. So if you do hav > some interest in trying the
same thing, check to see what OS your
>> laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
>> that's not an antique, but you should expect problems.
>
>My Samsung laptop can't be updated to Win10, apparently the wifi chipset
>it uses is not "compatible" with it, whatever that means for Microslop
>nowadays.
>The end result is it will stay on win7Pro-64 for the foreseeable future.
>  Which will include an SSD for sure at some stage.
>
>My work laptop is on Win10, it's a recent HP.  And it needs an update
>almost every week.  Good thing it's my employerpaying for the downloads,
>because I wouldn't!
>
>Same for my desktop: the 3 year old mobo apparently is not "compatible"
>either.
>
>Microslop and wheir W10 can go jump in a lake, I'll stick to 7Pro-64.

The Windows update checker flagged endless compatibility issues with
my laptop, but I installed Win 10 anyway, and then spent a good amount
of time finding drivers, including for the wifi. I did get everything
working, but it might not be worth the trouble for lots of people. You
need to have some time on your hands.

From: David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 09:22:31 +0000
On 27/12/2017 04:10, Noons wrote:
[]
> My Samsung laptop can't be updated to Win10, apparently the wifi chipset
> it uses is not "compatible" with it, whatever that means for Microslop
> nowadays.
> The end result is it will stay on win7Pro-64 for the foreseeable future.
>   Which will include an SSD for sure at some stage.
[]
Simple answer for anyone in a similar situation who /does/ want to
upgrade - get a Wi-Fi USB adapter!  Amazon prices from $3 upwards.

--
Cheers,
David

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 09:53:12 -0500

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 17:24:26 +0100

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 11:27:14 -0500
In article<fahvpqFlkbdU1@mid.individual.net>, android<here@there.was>
wrote:

> > it's also quite likely that the win7 wifi drivers will work.
>
> True. Throw some neto Linux dist into it and run it with Firefox,
> OpenOffice.org and a mail client like Evolution:

and little else.

From: Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Full headers:
From: "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 04:05:16 +0100
On 2017-12-27 17:27, nospam wrote:
> In article<fahvpqFlkbdU1@mid.individual.net>, android<here@there.was>
> wrote:
>
>>> it's also quite likely that the win7 wifi drivers will work.
>>
>> True. Throw some neto Linux dist into it and run it with Firefox,
>> OpenOffice.org and a mail client like Evolution:
>
> and little else.

A matter of opinion. There are thousands of "elses".

--
Cheers, Carlos.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2018 22:11:07 -0500
In article<co3bie-fm.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> >> True. Throw some neto Linux dist into it and run it with Firefox,
> >> OpenOffice.org and a mail client like Evolution:
> >
> > and little else.
>
> A matter of opinion. There are thousands of "elses".

it's not an opinion.

linux has *less* software than mac or windows, and most of it is
nowhere near as good.

From: Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Full headers:
From: "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 04:33:01 +0100
On 2018-01-08 04:11, nospam wrote:

>>> and little else.
>>
>> A matter of opinion. There are thousands of "elses".
>
> it's not an opinion.
>
> linux has *less* software than mac or windows, and most of it is
> nowhere near as good.

ROTFLM!  X'-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2018 22:44:00 -0500
In article<dc5bie-1c2.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> >> A matter of opinion. There are thousands of "elses".
> >
> > it's not an opinion.
> >
> > linux has *less* software than mac or windows, and most of it is
> > nowhere near as good.
>
> ROTFLM!  X'-)

don't laugh too hard. it's not a joke.

state of the art software is on mac/windows. not linux.

there is no return on investment to write linux apps and most linux
users would never pay for it anyway.

Full headers:
From: David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 16:51:41 +0000
[]

<https://www.cio.com/article/2875981/software/the-5-best-open-source-...

> Grab pan2 for Usenet.

Not much use if the software the OP needs to run is Windows-based!
--
Cheers,
David

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 19:36:18 +0100
On 2017-12-27 16:51:41 +0000, David Taylor said:

> On 27/12/2017 16:24, android wrote:
> []
>> True. Throw some neto Linux dist into it and run it with Firefox,
>> OpenOffice.org and a mail client like Evolution:

<https://www.cio.com/article/2875981/software/the-5-best-open-source-...

>> Grab pan2 for Usenet.
>
> Not much use if the software the OP needs to run is Windows-based!

That would present problems but there are Wine and VirtualBox...

<https://www.winehq.org/>

<https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads>

I did get the Acer for Windows stuff, but it ain't fast...
--
teleportation kills

From: Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid>
From: "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 04:09:19 +0100
On 2017-12-27 17:51, David Taylor wrote:
> On 27/12/2017 16:24, android wrote:
> []
>> True. Throw some neto Linux dist into it and run it with Firefox,
>> OpenOffice.org and a mail client like Evolution:

<https://www.cio.com/article/2875981/software/the-5-best-open-source-...

>> Grab pan2 for Usenet.
>
> Not much use if the software the OP needs to run is Windows-based!

Not much use if Windows will not update!

--
Cheers, Carlos.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2018 22:15:37 -0500
In article<vv3bie-fm.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> > Not much use if the software the OP needs to run is Windows-based!
>
> Not much use if Windows will not update!

why wouldn't it update?

From: Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Full headers:
From: "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 04:32:30 +0100
On 2018-01-08 04:15, nospam wrote:
> In article<vv3bie-fm.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
><robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Not much use if the software the OP needs to run is Windows-based!
>>
>> Not much use if Windows will not update!
>
> why wouldn't it update?

Because it doesn't. Incompatible machine, and there will be no more
updates for Windows 7 soon.

Google says they finished on 2015, and now only gets "extended support".

<https://support.microsoft.com/es-es/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fac...

--
Cheers, Carlos.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2018 22:44:02 -0500
In article<eb5bie-1c2.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> >> Not much use if Windows will not update!
> >
> > why wouldn't it update?
>
> Because it doesn't. Incompatible machine, and there will be no more
> updates for Windows 7 soon.

win10.

too bad you missed the free update window.

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 08:26:18 +0100
On 2017-12-26 20:27:49 +0000, Bill W said:

> I finally gave up on the cloning, and did a fresh install of Win 10 on
> a new SSD. The point of this was to see if I could rejuvenate a 7 or 8
> year old laptop, and to see how much better LR would work with only
> the change from HDD to an SSD. The laptop is maxed out at 8 GB memory,
> and has a 2.2 Ghz Intel CPU.
>
> The main test I used was the spot removal function, which was usable,
> but terribly crippled before the changes. After choosing a large-ish
> target area, I would move the source area around to see how easily it
> would follow the mouse movement. Before the SSD, it would take
> forever. So the verdict is that the SSD made a huge difference, and is
> definitely worth a try if you have a PC that seems a bit sluggish
> working with photo software. Spot removal now works nearly as well as
> on my far better spec'd desktop. It's like having a new laptop.
>
> But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
> restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
> times, also. At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
> anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all. So if you do have
> some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
> laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
> that's not an antique, but you should expect problems. Mine seem to
> have diminished considerably. Maybe Windows fixes itself. And if
> you're happy with an earlier version of Windows, an SSD will almost
> certainly be a huge improvement.

I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's unbelivable
how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d but with OSX
Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.
--
teleportation kills

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 00:42:22 -0800
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 08:26:18 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:

>On 2017-12-26 20:27:49 +0000, Bill W said:
>
>> I finally gave up on the cloning, and did a fresh install of Win 10 on
>> a new SSD. The point of this was to see if I could rejuvenate a 7 or 8
>> year old laptop, and to see how much better LR would work with only
>> the change from HDD to an SSD. The laptop is maxed out at 8 GB memory,
>> and has a 2.2 Ghz Intel CPU.
>>
>> The main test I used was the spot removal function, which was usable,
>> but terribly crippled before the changes. After choosing a large-ish
>> target area, I would move the source area around to see how easily it
>> would follow the mouse movement. Before the SSD, it would take
>> forever. So the verdict is that the SSD made a huge difference, and is
>> definitely worth a try if you have a PC that seems a bit sluggish
>> working with photo software. Spot removal now works nearly as well as
>> on my far better spec'd desktop. It's like having a new laptop.
>>
>> But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
>> restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
>> times, also. At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
>> anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all. So if you do have
>> some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
>> laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
>> that's not an antique, but you should expect problems. Mine seem to
>> have diminished considerably. Maybe Windows fixes itself. And if
>> you're happy with an earlier version of Windows, an SSD will almost
>> certainly be a huge improvement.
>
>I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's unbelivable
>how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d but with OSX
>Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.

Mine is also a c2d. Stuff an SSD in yours. We can compare results.

From: android <here@there.was>
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 12:29:27 +0100
On 2017-12-27 08:42:22 +0000, Bill W said:

> On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 08:26:18 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-12-26 20:27:49 +0000, Bill W said:
>>
>>> I finally gave up on the cloning, and did a fresh install of Win 10 on
>>> a new SSD. The point of this was to see if I could rejuvenate a 7 or 8
>>> year old laptop, and to see how much better LR would work with only
>>> the change from HDD to an SSD. The laptop is maxed out at 8 GB memory,
>>> and has a 2.2 Ghz Intel CPU.
>>>
>>> The main test I used was the spot removal function, which was usable,
>>> but terribly crippled before the changes. After choosing a large-ish
>>> target area, I would move the source area around to see how easily it
>>> would follow the mouse movement. Before the SSD, it would take
>>> forever. So the verdict is that the SSD made a huge difference, and is
>>> definitely worth a try if you have a PC that seems a bit sluggish
>>> working with photo software. Spot removal now works nearly as well as
>>> on my far better spec'd desktop. It's like having a new laptop.
>>>
>>> But... Windows still sucks. I think. Repeated crashes and forced
>>> restarts, especially when installing software, but at other random
>>> times, also. At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
>>> anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all. So if you do have
>>> some interest in trying the same thing, check to see what OS your
>>> laptop supports. I think you can force Win 10 onto just about anything
>>> that's not an antique, but you should expect problems. Mine seem to
>>> have diminished considerably. Maybe Windows fixes itself. And if
>>> you're happy with an earlier version of Windows, an SSD will almost
>>> certainly be a huge improvement.
>>
>> I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's unbelivable
>> how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d but with OSX
>> Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.
>
> Mine is also a c2d. Stuff an SSD in yours. We can compare results.

Won't happen! The CPU goes on like crazy with lots of Windows processes
craving its attention. I'll keep it for on the go stuff that can't be
done on the phone or needs Windows. Got me a better Mini that I could
stuff like a turkey with 10GB RAM and might put a SSD in that later if
I can train it to take a nap properly...
--
teleportation kills

From: David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 09:27:02 +0000
On 27/12/2017 07:26, android wrote:
[]

> I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's unbelivable
> how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d but with OSX
> Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.

Win-10 shouldn't be slow, especially with 8 GB memory.  I would check
for any mis-configuration or unwanted processes (especially if it's a
vendor's Win-10 rather than a plain version from Microsoft without all
the junk-ware!).  Use the Task Manager to see what's eating all the CPU,
memory, disk I/O etc.

--
Cheers,
David

From: android <here@there.was>
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 12:32:38 +0100
On 2017-12-27 09:27:02 +0000, David Taylor said:

> On 27/12/2017 07:26, android wrote:
> []
>
>> I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's unbelivable
>> how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d but with OSX
>> Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.
>
> Win-10 shouldn't be slow, especially with 8 GB memory.  I would check
> for any mis-configuration or unwanted processes (especially if it's a
> vendor's Win-10 rather than a plain version from Microsoft without all
> the junk-ware!).  Use the Task Manager to see what's eating all the
> CPU, memory, disk I/O etc.

I have. It's Windows mostly.
--
teleportation kills

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 08:47:11 -0800
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 12:32:38 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:

>On 2017-12-27 09:27:02 +0000, David Taylor said:
>
>> On 27/12/2017 07:26, android wrote:
>> []
>>
>>> I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's unbelivable
>>> how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d but with OSX
>>> Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.
>>
>> Win-10 shouldn't be slow, especially with 8 GB memory.  I would check
>> for any mis-configuration or unwanted processes (especially if it's a
>> vendor's Win-10 rather than a plain version from Microsoft without all
>> the junk-ware!).  Use the Task Manager to see what's eating all the
>> CPU, memory, disk I/O etc.
>
>I have. It's Windows mostly.

Yes, that's the same thing I saw, but it wasn't accurate. As David
said, check for installed software from Acer. My problem was the
Toshiba software. It's not needed, and after I removed all of it, the
laptop was fine, even with the HDD which happened to have bad sectors.
The software I suspect was some backup or disk recovery software, and
one other that was also disk related. The SSD was icing on the cake,
and sped things up considerably.

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 19:36:19 +0100
On 2017-12-27 16:47:11 +0000, Bill W said:

> On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 12:32:38 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-12-27 09:27:02 +0000, David Taylor said:
>>
>>> On 27/12/2017 07:26, android wrote:
>>> []

>>> Win-10 shouldn't be slow, especially with 8 GB memory.  I would check
>>> for any mis-configuration or unwanted processes (especially if it's a
>>> vendor's Win-10 rather than a plain version from Microsoft without all
>>> the junk-ware!).  Use the Task Manager to see what's eating all the
>>> CPU, memory, disk I/O etc.
>>
>> I have. It's Windows mostly.
>
> Yes, that's the same thing I saw, but it wasn't accurate. As David
> said, check for installed software from Acer. My problem was the
> Toshiba software. It's not needed, and after I removed all of it, the
> laptop was fine, even with the HDD which happened to have bad sectors.
> The software I suspect was some backup or disk recovery software, and
> one other that was also disk related. The SSD was icing on the cake,
> and sped things up considerably.

I cleansed the 'puter from stuff like that when I bought it two years ago...
--
teleportation kills

From: David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 16:54:47 +0000
On 27/12/2017 11:32, android wrote:
> On 2017-12-27 09:27:02 +0000, David Taylor said:
>
>> On 27/12/2017 07:26, android wrote:
>> []
>>
>>> I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's
>>> unbelivable how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d
>>> but with OSX Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.
>>
>> Win-10 shouldn't be slow, especially with 8 GB memory.  I would check
>> for any mis-configuration or unwanted processes (especially if it's a
>> vendor's Win-10 rather than a plain version from Microsoft without all
>> the junk-ware!).  Use the Task Manager to see what's eating all the
>> CPU, memory, disk I/O etc.
>
> I have. It's Windows mostly.

You have an issue then which needs to be resolved.  Even on a 2GB tablet
Win-10 is quite usable (I've used it for video reception), but you would
naturally need more memory for some other programs.

--
Cheers,
David

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 11:58:16 -0500

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 19:36:16 +0100
On 2017-12-27 16:54:47 +0000, David Taylor said:

> On 27/12/2017 11:32, android wrote:
>> On 2017-12-27 09:27:02 +0000, David Taylor said:
>>
>>> On 27/12/2017 07:26, android wrote:
>>> []

>>> Win-10 shouldn't be slow, especially with 8 GB memory.

Next <
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 13:37:10 -0500
In article<fai7h0Fneb6U1@mid.individual.net>, android<here@there.was>
wrote:

> > You have an issue then which needs to be resolved.  Even on a 2GB
> > tablet Win-10 is quite usable (I've used it for video reception), but
> > you would naturally need more memory for some other programs.
>
> I've actually done some videoediting on it, it does have 8GB now though
> it came with 2 but the old 3GB Mac is faster.

no surprise there.