> Prev
From: Sandman <mr@sandman.net>
Subject: This Guy Made an 8x10 Large Format Video Camera
From: Sandman <mr@sandman.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 31 Dec 2017 12:38:13 GMT
<https://petapixel.com/2017/12/30/guy-made-8x10-large-format-video-ca...

The title is a bit misleading. He is using a large format lens to project the
image on a cinema screen-like surface in the back of the camera, and then use
a full format Sony A7S II to film that projection with a wide-angle lens.

I suppose it's the closest thing we can come to a large format video camera
without building a huge 8x10 digital sensor.

The end result is 4k@24fps

--
Sandman

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: This Guy Made an 8x10 Large Format Video Camera
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 11:39:27 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Sunday, 31 December 2017 07:38:19 UTC-5, Sandman  wrote:
> <https://petapixel.com/2017/12/30/guy-made-8x10-large-format-video-ca...
>
> The title is a bit misleading. He is using a large format lens to project the
> image on a cinema screen-like surface in the back of the camera, and then use
> a full format Sony A7S II to film that projection with a wide-angle lens.
>
> I suppose it's the closest thing we can come to a large format video camera
> without building a huge 8x10 digital sensor.
>
> The end result is 4k@24fps
>
> --
> Sandman

So he just wanted the kind of image an 8x10 lens produces? Actually, they've built larger sensors
than that for astronomy, but they are composed of multiple large sensors.  They mathematically
removed the frame-lines.  I believe the largest sensor I've seen was about 4x4 inches.

Next <
From: Sandman <mr@sandman.net>
Full headers:
From: Sandman <mr@sandman.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 1 Jan 2018 18:07:23 GMT
In article<088dc8b8-5ad5-4944-b9ba-f11f2a84c589@googlegroups.com>, RichA
wrote:

> > Sandman:
> > <https://petapixel.com/2017/12/30/guy-made-8x10-large-format-video-
camera>
> > The title is a bit misleading. He is using a large format lens to
> > project the image on a cinema screen-like surface in the back of
> > the camera, and then use a full format Sony A7S II to film that
> > projection with a wide-angle lens. I suppose it's the closest
> > thing we can come to a large format video camera without building
> > a huge 8x10 digital sensor. The end result is 4k@24fps -- Sandman
>
> So he just wanted the kind of image an 8x10 lens produces?

Yup, and thi sis probably a better method to achieve this rather than trying
to adapt the lens for the sensor. The A7S II is amazing and if it records the
projected image, you will get 100% of the lens characteristics in the end
result, if you can adjust for the angle properly.

--
Sandman