> Prev
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Subject: Your computer will be slllowwwwing dooowwwnnnnnn....
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 08:45:24 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Not to mention every other system and service available.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42733032

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 12:03:24 -0500
"RichA"<rander3128@gmail.com> wrote

| Not to mention every other system and service available.

  Speak for yourself. AMD here. I wouldn't touch
Intel with a 10-foot anti-static wrist strap. :)

 Not susceptible to
Meltdown and Spectre is not a critical issue, so long
as I don't enable script in the browser while visiting
attack sites. Even then, it's not clear that Spectre
can access any data outside the same process. So
the risk? Apparently using an older version of Firefox
and entering credit card info into one window while
visiting a malware site in another.

  It's not enough to be putting your whole system
at risk for. Even if you have an Intel CPU it might
be best to wait awhile before doing anything. There
seem to be a lot of problems with the fixes so far.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 13:46:48 -0500
In article <p3qk14$e58$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>   Speak for yourself. AMD here. I wouldn't touch
> Intel with a 10-foot anti-static wrist strap. :)
>
>  Not susceptible to
> Meltdown and Spectre is not a critical issue, so long
> as I don't enable script in the browser while visiting
> attack sites.

if only were it that simple.

microsoft just released new patches for (some) amd systems.

maybe you should go tell them they shouldn't have bothered.

<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/good-newsbad-news-in-quest-t...
et-meltdown-and-spectre-patched/>
  The good news: Shortly after its initial release, Microsoft suspended
  shipping its Spectre and Meltdown Windows patches to owners of AMD
  systems after some users found that it left their systems unbootable.
  Microsoft partially lifted the restriction last week, sending the
  update to newer AMD systems but still leaving the oldest machines
  unpatched.

> Even then, it's not clear that Spectre
> can access any data outside the same process.

it can. that's the whole point.

a process already can access its own data. otherwise it wouldn't work
particularly well.

> So
> the risk? Apparently using an older version of Firefox
> and entering credit card info into one window while
> visiting a malware site in another.

it's quite a bit more than that.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 14:08:35 -0500
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| >  Not susceptible to
| > Meltdown and Spectre is not a critical issue, so long
| > as I don't enable script in the browser while visiting
| > attack sites.
|
| if only were it that simple.
|
 | <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/good-newsbad-news-in-quest-t...
| et-meltdown-and-spectre-patched/>

  That doesn't say much, except to confirm
that patches are risky. AMD themselves have explained
that they're not vulnerable to meltdown. There's
also this, from a trusted source that Windows
users may be familiar with:

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

  So people can test for themselves. Since you don't
bother to find the facts and don't understand them,
anyway, you'd save everyone a lot of confusion if
you'd just wait for Timmy Cook's "gift patch" for
your Mac and let Windows/Linux users, who actually
might have AMD CPUs, worry about their computers.

  This isn't a joke for your usual wiseacreing. People are
having their computers fried with funky patches, despite
very low risk in terms of security.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 14:47:37 -0500
In article <p3qrbp$3a7$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | >  Not susceptible to
> | > Meltdown and Spectre is not a critical issue, so long
> | > as I don't enable script in the browser while visiting
> | > attack sites.
> |
> | if only were it that simple.
> |
>  | <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/good-newsbad-news-in-quest-t...
> | et-meltdown-and-spectre-patched/>
>
>   That doesn't say much, except to confirm
> that patches are risky.

everything is risky.

> AMD themselves have explained
> that they're not vulnerable to meltdown.

yet microsoft released a patch for both.

> There's
> also this, from a trusted source that Windows
> users may be familiar with:
>
> https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

yep, except that it gets flagged as malware. :)

>   So people can test for themselves. Since you don't
> bother to find the facts and don't understand them,
> anyway, you'd save everyone a lot of confusion if
> you'd just wait for Timmy Cook's "gift patch" for
> your Mac and let Windows/Linux users, who actually
> might have AMD CPUs, worry about their computers.

ad hominem.

you also might want to take your own advice about finding the facts,
since just about everything you say about apple (as well as other
companies) has little to no basis in fact.

>   This isn't a joke for your usual wiseacreing. People are
> having their computers fried with funky patches, despite
> very low risk in terms of security.

nothing is perfect.

the alternative, ignoring patches, is worse.

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 08:23:40 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 18 January 2018 12:03:41 UTC-5, Mayayana  wrote:
> "RichA"<rander3128@gmail.com> wrote
>
> | Not to mention every other system and service available.
> |

>   Speak for yourself. AMD here. I wouldn't touch
> Intel with a 10-foot anti-static wrist strap. :)

I switched to AMD when the 386DX-40 came out.  But other devices have Intel in them besides home
computers so you may have one and not even know it.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:01:25 -0500
"RichA"<rander3128@gmail.com> wrote

| I switched to AMD when the 386DX-40 came
| out.  But other devices have Intel in them
| besides home computers so you may have
| one and not even know it.

   Other devices? You mean like phones? That
wouldn't concern me, but I wonder if it's
an issue. iPhones seem to use a Samsung CPU
that Apple claims to "design". Androids also
don't seem to use Intel. So what are you
talking about? I can't think of anything I have
with a CPU in it other than Windows computers.
My pickup truck? I don't go online with that,
so I'm OK. (Firefox is faster. :)

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:48:00 -0500
In article <p3tbpu$12m$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | I switched to AMD when the 386DX-40 came
> | out.  But other devices have Intel in them
> | besides home computers so you may have
> | one and not even know it.
>
>    Other devices? You mean like phones? That
> wouldn't concern me, but I wonder if it's
> an issue. iPhones seem to use a Samsung CPU
> that Apple claims to "design".

why the quotes? and as usual, completely wrong. maybe you should find
out the facts before you spew.

apple's a-series processors are designed entirely by apple for apple
products, and not just cpus either. apple has over 10,000 employees
designing all sorts of chips.

the actual fabbing is outsourced to tsmc, samsung and others.

some iphones have intel baseband modems, although that would be
unaffected by meltdown/spectre.

and by the way, amd is also fabless, so their 'designs' are also
outsourced.

<https://www.engadget.com/2015/12/22/samsung-building-chips-for-amd/&...
  With falling smartphone sales, Samsung has been trying to boost its
  chip manufacturing business. AMD, meanwhile, builds CPUs and GPUs for
  PCs and both major consoles, but doesn't have a fab business anymore.
  According to Korea's Electronic Times, that kind of synergy was too
  good to ignore, so Samsung will manufacture CPU and GPU chips for AMD
  on its 14-nanometer chip foundry starting in 2016.

> Androids also
> don't seem to use Intel.

android phones & tablets mostly use qualcomm snapdragon or samsung
exynos, but a few have used intel.

qualcomm is also fabless.

<https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2016/11/17/qualcomm-and-samsu...
collaborate-10nm-process-technology-latest-snapdragon>
  Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM)

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 10:27:24 -0500
"RichA"<rander3128@gmail.com> wrote

| I switched to AMD when the 386DX-40 came out.  But other devices have
Intel in them besides home computers so you may have one and not even know
it.

  You haven't bothered to answer my question, but
I've been trying to keep up on this issue. It turns
out you're right:

https://www.techarp.com/articles/intel-amd-arm-cpu-bug-4/

   That site even lists known CPUs at risk. With
Apple it's pretty much everything. Android doesn't
seem to be much better.

  That adds a whole new wrinkle. For anyone
on a computer, especially using AMD, the actual
risks are very slight: An attacker has to go
through a browser, or similar Internet-connected
software, or be installed. Installed software can
already access data, so the real issue is script
in the browser or malware. Script can be
limited. Malware is already a risk. And browsers
are being updated.

  Even if you allow script and get attacked, there's
very little risk. An attack on AMD can only read
random memory from other programs. An attack
on Intel can read all memory, but there still has
to be something worth reading.
   So a running password manager with your banking
password might have a longshot chance of giving
up that password.

 On the other hand, even if you're reckless enough
to do online banking, what nut would put that
password into a password manager? There is a
tiny chance that your credit card number could
be stolen if you shop with multiple browser windows
open. Don't do that. There's no need.

  So the actual risk is very small, and very tiny
for people who pay any attention to security.

  But on a phone.... If you shop and store lots
of sensitive data on your phone that risk is more
realistic, mostly because it's so hard to control
access to your phone. Mal-apps have become a
big problem. Non-mal-apps are still often spyware
because they're ad-supported. The system is a
sieve.
  On the other hand, if you're giving out your
current location to every Tom, Dick and Harry
app maker now, what info do you have that
you consider sensitive?

   Maybe the moral of this story is don't shop
or bank from your phone. In other words, common
sense.

  You have to remember context in general. A
"smart" door lock? It might be vulnerable, but
there's nothing there to exploit it. A "smart"
frig? Again, it's running alone. Even if such an
item could be exploited, will Chinese hackers
profit by knowing you're low on mayo? This is
not a takeover bug. It's a data stealing bug.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 12:14:02 -0500
In article <p42bh5$qrr$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | I switched to AMD when the 386DX-40 came out.  But other devices have
> Intel in them besides home computers so you may have one and not even know
> it.
>
>   You haven't bothered to answer my question, but
> I've been trying to keep up on this issue. It turns
> out you're right:
>
> https://www.techarp.com/articles/intel-amd-arm-cpu-bug-4/
>
>    That site even lists known CPUs at risk. With
> Apple it's pretty much everything. Android doesn't
> seem to be much better.

it affects just about everything from everyone.

also note that amd initially said it wasn't a problem and then changed
their tune. they're being sued over that bit of misrepresentation, btw.

at least the apple watch is safe.

the real problem is that older devices are unlikely to be patched, a
very big problem for android. most android devices currently in use
will remain vulnerable, making for a *huge* target surface, more so
than it already is.

other devices, such as routers and nases are also at risk, however,
they don't normally run third party apps, so although the flaw exists,
it's unlikely to be used. that is, unless one installs a compromised
app on one.

>   That adds a whole new wrinkle. For anyone
> on a computer, especially using AMD, the actual
> risks are very slight: An attacker has to go
> through a browser, or similar Internet-connected
> software, or be installed. Installed software can
> already access data, so the real issue is script
> in the browser or malware. Script can be
> limited. Malware is already a risk. And browsers
> are being updated.

it's more than slight and not just scripting, but yes, everything is
being updated.

except for windows xp, so you're screwed.

>   Even if you allow script and get attacked, there's
> very little risk. An attack on AMD can only read
> random memory from other programs. An attack
> on Intel can read all memory, but there still has
> to be something worth reading.

the problem is there's no way to know what data you're going to get.

it might have passwords or other useful data, or it could be a couple
of frames of a youtube cat video. it might even be one of your usenet
posts.

>    So a running password manager with your banking
> password might have a longshot chance of giving
> up that password.
>
>  On the other hand, even if you're reckless enough
> to do online banking, what nut would put that
> password into a password manager? There is a
> tiny chance that your credit card number could
> be stolen if you shop with multiple browser windows
> open. Don't do that. There's no need.

online banking and shopping is not reckless and using a password
manager is a *very* *good* idea, one which makes you *less* at risk.

there's also no need to enter in a credit card number anymore for most
sites (although it often remains an option for the unaware).

as usual, you don't understand how things work.

the actual risk is how secure the merchant's system is, not yours, as
the merchant is a *much* bigger and far more valuable target.

one exploit can net a *lot* of card numbers, as it did with oneplus:

<https://www.tomsguide.com/us/oneplus-credit-card-fraud,news-26466.ht...
  OnePlus is investigating complaints from at least 170 customers who
  encountered fraudulent charges on their credit accounts shortly after
  buying items on the OnePlus website. Earlier today (Jan. 16), OnePlus
  said it's temporarily halting credit card payments at its website
  while it continues to investigate.

just three days later:
<https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/jan-19-update-an-update-on-credit...
rd-security.752415/>
  We are deeply sorry to announce that we have indeed been attacked,
  and up to 40k users at oneplus.net may be affected by the incident.
  We have sent out an email to all possibly affected users.
  Some users who entered their credit card info on oneplus.net between
  mid-November 2017 and January 11, 2018, may be affected.

>   You have to remember context in general. A
> "smart" door lock? It might be vulnerable, but
> there's nothing there to exploit it.

other than the contents of your house, you mean.

but there's no need to have a smart lock to be vulnerable. just about
every lock is easily picked in just seconds. including the one on your
front door.

or just break a window and climb in. even the strongest lock won't
prevent that.

> A "smart"
> frig? Again, it's running alone. Even if such an
> item could be exploited, will Chinese hackers
> profit by knowing you're low on mayo? This is
> not a takeover bug. It's a data stealing bug.

at least one smart fridge has a camera inside it that identifies what
food you have in it and lets you know when you're running low on stuff.

it's a marketer's dream, because now they know what brands you buy
*and* when and how often you open the fridge.

and since the fridge is on your local network, there may be other stuff
it can find out...

of course, this is easily secured, but most people don't bother.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 13:08:42 -0500
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| the actual risk is how secure the merchant's system is, not yours, as
| the merchant is a *much* bigger and far more valuable target.

  Nothing to do with the topic at hand. That's
about a hacked website. The thread is about
Meltdown/Spectre.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 13:50:24 -0500
In article <p42kvi$354$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | the actual risk is how secure the merchant's system is, not yours, as
> | the merchant is a *much* bigger and far more valuable target.
> |

>   Nothing to do with the topic at hand. That's
> about a hacked website. The thread is about
> Meltdown/Spectre.

*you* brought up credit cards and online shopping.

From: android <here@there.was>
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 19:43:45 +0100
On 2018-01-18 16:45:24 +0000, RichA said:

> Not to mention every other system and service available.
>
> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42733032

The solution is to reboot the PC world into Pentium II... Any patents
that it's pending should be obsolete within a few years. :-))
--
teleportation kills

From: David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 15:07:26 +0000
On 18/01/2018 16:45, RichA wrote:
> Not to mention every other system and service available.
>
> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42733032

All systems here patched, no perceptible effect.  Mind you, I don't run
systems at 100% CPU 24x7.

--
Cheers,
David

From: Neil <neil@myplaceofwork.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:41:15 -0500
On 1/19/2018 10:07 AM, David Taylor wrote:
> On 18/01/2018 16:45, RichA wrote:
>> Not to mention every other system and service available.
>>
>> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42733032
>
> All systems here patched, no perceptible effect.  Mind you, I don't run
> systems at 100% CPU 24x7.

+1

I doubt that the majority of users will notice any speed difference
since they aren't running hot-rodded gaming systems or big data number
crunchers.

--
best regards,

Neil

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 14:03:12 -0500
"Neil"<neil@myplaceofwork.com> wrote

| I doubt that the majority of users will notice any speed difference
| since they aren't running hot-rodded gaming systems or big data number
| crunchers.

  It's about kernel calls. So, for instance, if
you're using a graphic editor and applying a filter
tp a giant image, that shouldn't slow down
because it's just calculations. But if you're
doing something intensive that requires a lot
of disk read/write than that will be slower
because it will now essentially require calling
an external program for each operation.

From: Neil <neil@myplaceofwork.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 16:12:34 -0500
On 1/19/2018 2:03 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> "Neil"<neil@myplaceofwork.com> wrote
>
> | I doubt that the majority of users will notice any speed difference
> | since they aren't running hot-rodded gaming systems or big data number
> | crunchers.
> |

>    It's about kernel calls. So, for instance, if
> you're using a graphic editor and applying a filter
> tp a giant image, that shouldn't slow down
> because it's just calculations. But if you're
> doing something intensive that requires a lot
> of disk read/write than that will be slower
> because it will now essentially require calling
> an external program for each operation.

Again, that applies to a very small number of users.

--
best regards,

Neil

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 16:33:43 -0500
"Neil"<neil@myplaceofwork.com> wrote

| Again, that applies to a very small number of users.

  Not users. Uses. Frequent disk access has
nothing to do with playing intensive games.
That's intensive CPU load, which is not an
issue. The issue is functions used from the
kernel: Creating files and folders. Reading/writing.
Getting file metadata. Etc. Something
like a backup program or moving files around
may be affected, while your super duper, 3-D
mass murder game may not be.

  But I imagine you're probably right for most
situations, since the current hardware is
far more powerful than most people need.
A slower backup or file-finder utility is probably
not going to be noticed.

From: Neil <neil@myplaceofwork.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 20:02:28 -0500
On 1/19/2018 4:33 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> "Neil"<neil@myplaceofwork.com> wrote
>
> | Again, that applies to a very small number of users.
> |

>    Not users. Uses. Frequent disk access has
> nothing to do with playing intensive games.

I was referring to the example that you gave:

"But if you're doing something intensive that requires a lot
of disk read/write than that will be slower because it will now
essentially require calling an external program for each operation."

> That's intensive CPU load, which is not an
> issue. The issue is functions used from the
> kernel: Creating files and folders. Reading/writing.
> Getting file metadata. Etc. Something
> like a backup program or moving files around
> may be affected, while your super duper, 3-D
> mass murder game may not be.

That would require an extremely large volume of files. Not many folks do
such things frequently, and I can't imagine them saying, "Wow, the last
time I did this, it was 1.3 seconds faster."

--
best regards,

Neil

From: David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 10:10:26 +0000
On 19/01/2018 19:03, Mayayana wrote:
[]
>    It's about kernel calls. So, for instance, if
> you're using a graphic editor and applying a filter
> tp a giant image, that shouldn't slow down
> because it's just calculations. But if you're
> doing something intensive that requires a lot
> of disk read/write than that will be slower
> because it will now essentially require calling
> an external program for each operation.

I'm processing several hundreds of GB of data every day, and monitoring
CPU and disk queue levels, no significant change seen (i.e. it's within
normal variations).

--
Cheers,
David

From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 10:36:57 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Saturday, 20 January 2018 05:10:33 UTC-5, David Taylor  wrote:
> On 19/01/2018 19:03, Mayayana wrote:
> []
> >    It's about kernel calls. So, for instance, if
> > you're using a graphic editor and applying a filter
> > tp a giant image, that shouldn't slow down
> > because it's just calculations. But if you're
> > doing something intensive that requires a lot
> > of disk read/write than that will be slower
> > because it will now essentially require calling
> > an external program for each operation.
>
> I'm processing several hundreds of GB of data every day, and monitoring
> CPU and disk queue levels, no significant change seen (i.e. it's within
> normal variations).
>
> --
> Cheers,
> David
> Web: http://www.satsignal.eu

It's going to be the "frog in slowly heating water" for us.  We won't notice much until one day we
say, "Hey!  I can't stream 4K programming anymore, and HD is sporadic and processing 100 RAW photos
is taking me until 8:30 when I used to be finished at 7:30!"

Full headers:
From: Neil <neil@myplaceofwork.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 15:19:25 -0500
On 1/21/2018 1:36 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Saturday, 20 January 2018 05:10:33 UTC-5, David Taylor  wrote:
>> On 19/01/2018 19:03, Mayayana wrote:
>> []
>>>     It's about kernel calls. So, for instance, if
>>> you're using a graphic editor and applying a filter
>>> tp a giant image, that shouldn't slow down
>>> because it's just calculations. But if you're
>>> doing something intensive that requires a lot
>>> of disk read/write than that will be slower
>>> because it will now essentially require calling
>>> an external program for each operation.
>>
>> I'm processing several hundreds of GB of data every day, and monitoring
>> CPU and disk queue levels, no significant change seen (i.e. it's within
>> normal variations).
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> David
>> Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
>
> It's going to be the "frog in slowly heating water" for us.  We won't notice much until one day we
say, "Hey!  I can't stream 4K programming anymore, and HD is sporadic and processing 100 RAW photos
is taking me until 8:30 when I used to be finished at 7:30!"

What makes you think that things will get worse as time goes on?

--
best regards,

Neil

Next <
From: David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 10:55:57 +0000
On 21/01/2018 18:36, RichA wrote:
[]
> It's going to be the "frog in slowly heating water" for us.  We won't notice much until one day we
say, "Hey!  I can't stream 4K programming anymore, and HD is sporadic and processing 100 RAW photos
is taking me until 8:30 when I used to be finished at 7:30!"

Come back when you have the evidence for that.

By the time that happens likely we'll all be using processors with the
bug removed (and so much faster in any case).  For many of my purposes,
today's computers are fast enough, although I don't shoot raw, and I
avoid slow and expensive software!

--
Cheers,
David