> Prev
Subject: How to undamage the camera?
From: micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 14:48:10 -0500
It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
car, from Thanksgiving day until today.   I last used it half-way back
from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.

OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
before.   A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
polyester or nylon bag.

Have I damaged the camera.  Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
damaging it now?   I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Do I need to wait before I use it.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: How to undamage the camera?
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 14:54:24 -0500
In article<i8676d1uquj7bhnv8jms8589ittb0nek4q@4ax.com>, micky<NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
> car, from Thanksgiving day until today.   I last used it half-way back
> from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
> days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.
>
> OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
> carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
> camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
> before.   A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
> polyester or nylon bag.
>
> Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
> damaging it now?   I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.
>
> Do I need to wait before I use it.

wait until it's room temperature and hope that the lcd didn't freeze
while it was in the car. you will probably need to recharge the
battery.

From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 15:04:59 -0500
On 2018-01-20 14:48, micky wrote:
> It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
> car, from Thanksgiving day until today.   I last used it half-way back
> from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
> days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.
>
> OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
> carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
> camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
> before.   A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
> polyester or nylon bag.
>
> Have I damaged the camera.  Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
> damaging it now?   I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.

Would have been best to put it into a plastic bag before bringing it in
so condensation wouldn't form.

> Do I need to wait before I use it.

Read the manual for the temperature range.  Check the battery.

--
“When it is all said and done, there are approximately 94 million
  full-time workers in private industry paying taxes to support 102

From: micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 22:44:52 -0500
In rec.photo.digital, on Sat, 20 Jan 2018 15:04:59 -0500, Alan Browne<bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:

>On 2018-01-20 14:48, micky wrote:
>> It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
>> car, from Thanksgiving day until today.   I last used it half-way back
>> from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
>> days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.
>>
>> OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
>> carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
>> camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
>> before.   A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
>> polyester or nylon bag.
>>
>> Have I damaged the camera.  Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
>> damaging it now?   I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.
>
>Would have been best to put it into a plastic bag before bringing it in
>so condensation wouldn't form.

Oops.

>> Do I need to wait before I use it.
>
>Read the manual for the temperature range.

The manual gives an operating range of 32 to 104F

Doesn't say anything about storing the camera, so I guess almost
anything is okay.

> Check the battery.

Waited 5 hours, until room temp.  Camera seems to work fine.  My battery
was hard to find just a year ago, so I bought two spares, all of which I
used on the last trip. If this battery is damaged, still have two
others.  Going again in February so it's a good thing I found the
camera.

Thanks.

From: Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com>
Full headers:
From: Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 08:06:25 +1100
On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 14:48:10 -0500, micky<NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
>car, from Thanksgiving day until today.   I last used it half-way back
>from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
>days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.
>
>OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
>carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
>camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
>before.   A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
>polyester or nylon bag.
>
>Have I damaged the camera.  Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
>damaging it now?   I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.
>
>Do I need to wait before I use it.

I have dried out equipment (calculators, timers) by putting these in
an oven overnight at 35-40degC.

Next <
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 14:14:04 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Jan 21, 2018, Peter Jason wrote
(in article<740a6d1d2jav6ppv4cliccj8tec9v5koi4@4ax.com>):

> On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 14:48:10 -0500, micky<NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It turns out I left my beloved point & shoot camera in the trunk of my
> > car, from Thanksgiving day until today. I last used it half-way back
> > from Florida, and I've been in Baltimore, Md. where it's rained on a few
> > days and the temp was down to 10F at night on several days in a row.
> >
> > OTOH, the trunk is dry, no condensation like in a previous car, the
> > carpet is dry, the cordboard boxes are like new, and the outside of the
> > camera, including the leaves that cover the lens, look no different than
> > before. A Samsung WB35F, and was in a little, partly closed woven
> > polyester or nylon bag.
> >
> > Have I damaged the camera. Or do I need to take any precaution to avoid
> > damaging it now? I took it out of the car to a 70^F house.
> >
> > Do I need to wait before I use it.
>
> I have dried out equipment (calculators, timers) by putting these in
> an oven overnight at 35-40degC.

No! No! No!

--

Regards,