> Prev
From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Subject: Renovation of a photograph
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 18:10:00 +0000
Hi

My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World War.

Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW

How best can the image be improved?

--
David B.

From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: Renovation of a photograph
From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 16:30:03 -0500
On 01/21/2018 01:10 PM, David B. wrote:
> Hi
>
> My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
> grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World War.
>
> Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
>
> How best can the image be improved?

First, scan it with a flatbed scanner rather than photographing it, so
you won't have the shadows.
Second, those creases may show up less depending on which way you turn
the photo in the scanner, so try four scans rotating the photo a
quarter-turn for each one. Pick the best.
Third, I've seen much worse photos than this one. You are lucky to have
one that has held up so well. Convert it to black and white, increase
the contrast just a bit, and use cloning to get rid of the creases. Or
just leave it as is- it's an old photo, let it look old.
Finally, make (or have made) good quality prints for both you and your
sister. Go to an art supply store and get a low-acid envelope (or other
container) for the original, and store it someplace safe for your
grandchildren.

--
Ken Hart
kwhart1@frontier.com

From: philo <philo@privacy.net>
Full headers:
From: philo <philo@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 16:43:16 -0600
On 01/21/2018 03:30 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
> On 01/21/2018 01:10 PM, David B. wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
>> grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World
>> War.
>>
>> Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
>>
>> How best can the image be improved?
>>

> First, scan it with a flatbed scanner rather than photographing it, so
> you won't have the shadows.
> Second, those creases may show up less depending on which way you turn
> the photo in the scanner, so try four scans rotating the photo a
> quarter-turn for each one. Pick the best.
> Third, I've seen much worse photos than this one. You are lucky to have
> one that has held up so well. Convert it to black and white, increase
> the contrast just a bit, and use cloning to get rid of the creases. Or
> just leave it as is- it's an old photo, let it look old.
> Finally, make (or have made) good quality prints for both you and your
> sister. Go to an art supply store and get a low-acid envelope (or other
> container) for the original, and store it someplace safe for your
> grandchildren.

Excellent advice.

I agree. Fix it up a bit perhaps but do not over-do it.

Some imperfections will help show the age.

Were I doing it, I'd increase the contrast a bit and reduce the creases
and that would be about it.

From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Full headers:
From: Alfred Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 23:54:21 +0100
In article <p43524$her$2@dont-email.me>, philo says...

From: dale <dale@dalekelly.org>
Full headers:
From: dale <dale@dalekelly.org>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 18:40:28 -0500
On 1/21/18 5:54 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <p43524$her$2@dont-email.me>, philo says...

> <snip>
>
>> Were I doing it, I'd increase the contrast a bit and reduce the
> creases
>> and that would be about it.
>
> Just wondering if there is a way to make the detail in the photo more
> visible besides increasing the contrast. Some fancy image processibg,
> not sure if that exists.

image stability varies according to conditions,

for instance, if you knew the cycle of temperature, humidity, and light
exposure, you might be able to back out the keeping if you had an
original palette of the media and a palette of the media following the
same keeping conditions

might be a good invention to keep a small palette on an image and
original palette color data just for this purpose

next best thing would be some tuning "dials" from the media manufacturer
derived from typical keeping conditions

I might be coming at this from too much of an idealist point of view,
the "dials" might not have to be so specific to a media, just figure out
which "dials" fit best for ... stain, fade, etc.

hard to back out stain without selecting specific sections of an image,
hard to figure out what was somewhere when there was fade ...

--
Not a professional opinion unless specified.
dale - http://www.dalekelly.org/

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:18:25 +0000
On 21/01/2018 22:43, philo wrote:
> On 01/21/2018 03:30 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
>> On 01/21/2018 01:10 PM, David B. wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
>>> grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World
>>> War.
>>>
>>> Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
>>>
>>> How best can the image be improved?
>>>

>> First, scan it with a flatbed scanner rather than photographing it, so
>> you won't have the shadows.
>> Second, those creases may show up less depending on which way you turn
>> the photo in the scanner, so try four scans rotating the photo a
>> quarter-turn for each one. Pick the best.
>> Third, I've seen much worse photos than this one. You are lucky to
>> have one that has held up so well. Convert it to black and white,
>> increase the contrast just a bit, and use cloning to get rid of the
>> creases. Or just leave it as is- it's an old photo, let it look old.
>> Finally, make (or have made) good quality prints for both you and your
>> sister. Go to an art supply store and get a low-acid envelope (or
>> other container) for the original, and store it someplace safe for
>> your grandchildren.
>>

> Excellent advice.
>
> I agree. Fix it up a bit perhaps but do not over-do it.
>
> Some imperfections will help show the age.
>

> Were I doing it, I'd increase the contrast a bit and reduce the creases
> and that would be about it.

It's good to read that you are in agreement with Ken! :-)

You have my permission to play with the image I've already posted should
you wish to do so.

--
David B.

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 14:49:40 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Jan 21, 2018, Ken Hart wrote
(in article <p430oq$1c3m$1@gioia.aioe.org>):

> On 01/21/2018 01:10 PM, David B. wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
> > grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World War.
> >
> > Here is a copy of same:- https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
> >
> > How best can the image be improved?
>
> First, scan it with a flatbed scanner rather than photographing it, so
> you won't have the shadows.
> Second, those creases may show up less depending on which way you turn
> the photo in the scanner, so try four scans rotating the photo a
> quarter-turn for each one. Pick the best.
> Third, I've seen much worse photos than this one. You are lucky to have
> one that has held up so well. Convert it to black and white, increase
> the contrast just a bit, and use cloning to get rid of the creases. Or
> just leave it as is- it's an old photo, let it look old.
> Finally, make (or have made) good quality prints for both you and your
> sister. Go to an art supply store and get a low-acid envelope (or other
> container) for the original, and store it someplace safe for your
> grandchildren.

Here is a fix from a flatbed scan.
The big caveat is to be patient and meticulous with all the correction work
in PS, and use layers.

Original scan with fix:

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsx3yqdarmf39js/screenshot_275.png>

Fix without matte:

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/uoci40wrucsolgl/E-05AACV1440.jpg>

Fix with matte:

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjkbwdw0xg71x0b/E-05AACV1200.jpg>

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 19:31:23 -0500
In article <p430oq$1c3m$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Ken Hart<kwhart1@frontier.com> wrote:

> Second, those creases may show up less depending on which way you turn
> the photo in the scanner, so try four scans rotating the photo a
> quarter-turn for each one. Pick the best.

even if that did make a difference (it won't), only two orientations
would be needed.

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:16:06 +0000
On 21/01/2018 21:30, Ken Hart wrote:
> On 01/21/2018 01:10 PM, David B. wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
>> grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World
>> War.
>>
>> Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
>>
>> How best can the image be improved?
>>

> First, scan it with a flatbed scanner rather than photographing it, so
> you won't have the shadows.
> Second, those creases may show up less depending on which way you turn
> the photo in the scanner, so try four scans rotating the photo a
> quarter-turn for each one. Pick the best.
> Third, I've seen much worse photos than this one. You are lucky to have
> one that has held up so well. Convert it to black and white, increase
> the contrast just a bit, and use cloning to get rid of the creases. Or
> just leave it as is- it's an old photo, let it look old.
> Finally, make (or have made) good quality prints for both you and your
> sister. Go to an art supply store and get a low-acid envelope (or other
> container) for the original, and store it someplace safe for your
> grandchildren.

I appreciate your comments, Ken.

Thanks. :-)

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 19:55:04 -0500
On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 18:10:00 +0000, "David B."<DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>Hi
>
>My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
>grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World War.
>
>Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
>
>How best can the image be improved?

I suggest you post it at https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/ .
Requests like this are handled routinely in that forum, and some of
the results are spectacular.  Make sure you title your post to include
that you want an old photo reconstructed.

In your post, specify that you would like to know what steps were
taken in the reconstruction, and that you would like to be able to
follow those steps yourself.  State what you will be working with (eg:
CC2018, PS6, Elements, Lightroom, etc)*

Some of the "gurus" there will do the reconstruction, but if you ask
to be informed of the steps they'll provide screenshots.  Even if you
want to take on this project yourself, you'll pick up some tips from
this group if someone takes on your project.

What you start with is going to greatly determine what you end up
with.  The better your scan, the better starting point you have.  The
higher the resolution at the scanning, the better the result.  It
takes longer, but this isn't an issue with one photograph.

This looks like a photograph of a photograph, not a scan.  The
lighting is poor and too much to the right.  The depth of field is too
wide open.  The focus point seems to be the lower right edge. Unless
you have a copy stand and the right lighting, a good scan is a better
starting point.

Actually, you have a good subject to start with.  Except for your
grandfather's lower left leg (on the right viewing the image), there's
no real need for reconstructing damaged or missing areas.  The crack
across the face is a simple fix with the right software.

At Photoshop Gurus you aren't guaranteed that someone will work on it
unless you offer to pay, but most free requests get good responses.

*This is something you should do even in a newsgroup post.  Without
knowing what tool box you'll be working with, people can't really give
useful instructions.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:36:25 +0000
On 22/01/2018 00:55, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 18:10:00 +0000, "David B."
><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
>> grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World War.
>>
>> Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
>>
>> How best can the image be improved?
>
> I suggest you post it at https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/ .
> Requests like this are handled routinely in that forum, and some of
> the results are spectacular.  Make sure you title your post to include
> that you want an old photo reconstructed.
>
> In your post, specify that you would like to know what steps were
> taken in the reconstruction, and that you would like to be able to
> follow those steps yourself.  State what you will be working with (eg:
> CC2018, PS6, Elements, Lightroom, etc)*
>
> Some of the "gurus" there will do the reconstruction, but if you ask
> to be informed of the steps they'll provide screenshots.  Even if you
> want to take on this project yourself, you'll pick up some tips from
> this group if someone takes on your project.
>
> What you start with is going to greatly determine what you end up
> with.  The better your scan, the better starting point you have.  The
> higher the resolution at the scanning, the better the result.  It
> takes longer, but this isn't an issue with one photograph.

Hi Tony

Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!

I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
everyday 'home users' like me. Is it something that would make a world
of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
software?
> This looks like a photograph of a photograph, not a scan.  The
> lighting is poor and too much to the right.  The depth of field is too
> wide open.  The focus point seems to be the lower right edge. Unless
> you have a copy stand and the right lighting, a good scan is a better
> starting point.

You are quite right! My sister took a photograph of the old snapshot
with her new iPad Pro and, after a number of failed efforts, was truly
delighted when she discovered that I'd received the image!

She's never used a computer nor a smart phone - EVER! It's a
considerable learning curve for an 81 year old! ;-)

> Actually, you have a good subject to start with.  Except for your
> grandfather's lower left leg (on the right viewing the image), there's
> no real need for reconstructing damaged or missing areas.  The crack
> across the face is a simple fix with the right software.
>
> At Photoshop Gurus you aren't guaranteed that someone will work on it
> unless you offer to pay, but most free requests get good responses.

That good to know, Thank you for your advice. :-)

> *This is something you should do even in a newsgroup post.  Without
> knowing what tool box you'll be working with, people can't really give
> useful instructions.

That's something I'll try to remember. I haven't any additional tools
above and beyond those included with Apple's High Sierra.

I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)

Once again, thanks for helping.

--
David B.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 10:45:23 -0500
In article <_xn9C.449811$6_2.43059@fx30.fr7>, David B.<DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
> and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!

those poor people.

> I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
> everyday 'home users' like me.

it is.

there is a consumer version, however, called photoshop elements.

you don't need either one.

> Is it something that would make a world
> of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
> software?

it would if you know how to use it. otherwise, hell no.

> I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
> complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)

nope. it's that the gimp is poorly designed, with no attention paid to
ui/ux.

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:56:39 +0000
On 22/01/2018 15:45, nospam wrote:
> In article <_xn9C.449811$6_2.43059@fx30.fr7>, David B.
><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>

>> Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
>> and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!
>
> those poor people.

Read here!

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/are-you-inquisitive-too...

>> I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
>> everyday 'home users' like me.
>
> it is.
>
> there is a consumer version, however, called photoshop elements.
>
> you don't need either one.

OK
>> Is it something that would make a world
>> of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
>> software?
>
> it would if you know how to use it. otherwise, hell no.

I'm not sure that I want to do it .... but I might!

>> I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
>> complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)
>
> nope. it's that the gimp is poorly designed, with no attention paid to
> ui/ux.

You do come out with interesting comments sometimes! ;-)

--
David B.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 14:59:31 -0500
In article <Zlr9C.639740$2X4.197226@fx11.fr7>, David B.<DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> >> Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
> >> and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!
> >
> > those poor people.
>
> Read here!
>
> https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/are-you-inquisitive-too...

and the trolling begins there.

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty <a.nony.mous@example.inwalid>
From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.inwalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 21:40:21 -0000 (UTC)
nospam wrote:

>> > those poor people.
>>
>> Read here!
>>
>> https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/are-you-inquisitive-
too.63905/

> and the trolling begins there.

It's already started -- and apparently ended. His link above results in:

   Oops! We ran into some problems.
   The requested thread could not be found.

LOL!  Kicked out and banned already!!!

--
   -bts

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:58:42 -0500
In article <p45lo5$34u$1@dont-email.me>, Beauregard T. Shagnasty<a.nony.mous@example.inwalid> wrote:

> >> Read here!
> >>
> >> https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/are-you-inquisitive-
> too.63905/
> >
> > and the trolling begins there.
>
> It's already started -- and apparently ended. His link above results in:
>
>    Oops! We ran into some problems.
>    The requested thread could not be found.
>
> LOL!  Kicked out and banned already!!!

awesome.

i did see the thread. he was asking who owns the site and how it's
funded, completely irrelevant rubbish, as is typical for him.

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 22:37:25 +0000
On 22/01/2018 21:58, nospam wrote:
> In article <p45lo5$34u$1@dont-email.me>, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
><a.nony.mous@example.inwalid> wrote:

>> too.63905/
>>>
>>> and the trolling begins there.
>>
>> It's already started -- and apparently ended. His link above results in:
>>
>>     Oops! We ran into some problems.
>>     The requested thread could not be found.
>>
>> LOL!  Kicked out and banned already!!!
>
> awesome.
>
> i did see the thread. he was asking who owns the site and how it's
> funded, completely irrelevant rubbish, as is typical for him.

It's NOT irrelevant, just sensible.

Read here:-

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/conversations/ok-whats-up.62887

(if you can)

--
David B.

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty <a.nony.mous@example.inwalid>
From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.inwalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 22:47:51 -0000 (UTC)
David B. STALKER wrote:

>>> too.63905/

>>> It's already started -- and apparently ended. His link above results
>>> in:
>>>
>>>     Oops! We ran into some problems.
>>>     The requested thread could not be found.
>>>
>>> LOL!  Kicked out and banned already!!!
>>
>> awesome.
>>
>> i did see the thread. he was asking who owns the site and how it's
>> funded, completely irrelevant rubbish, as is typical for him.
>
> It's NOT irrelevant, just sensible.

No, it is STALKING just as you do everywhere you go. Everyone you
encounter. You're world-famous for it.

> Read here:-
>
> https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/conversations/ok-whats-up.62887
>
> (if you can)

You must be logged-in to do that. "

--
   -bts

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 18:25:24 -0500
In article <IIt9C.742728$aI1.621339@fx23.fr7>, David B.<DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> >> too.63905/

> >> It's already started -- and apparently ended. His link above results in:
> >>
> >>     Oops! We ran into some problems.
> >>     The requested thread could not be found.
> >>
> >> LOL!  Kicked out and banned already!!!
> >
> > awesome.
> >
> > i did see the thread. he was asking who owns the site and how it's
> > funded, completely irrelevant rubbish, as is typical for him.
>
> It's NOT irrelevant, just sensible.

it's not the least bit sensible. it's none of your business unless that
information is volunteered in some way.

you were trolling, which is why the moderators killed the thread.

> Read here:-
>
> https://www.ph

apparently, you're continuing to troll there, which will likely result
in a ban, thereby relieving the people of the site from your bullshit.

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 08:54:54 +0000
On 22/01/2018 23:25, nospam wrote:

>>> awesome.
>>>
>>> i did see the thread. he was asking who owns the site and how it's
>>> funded, completely irrelevant rubbish, as is typical for him.
>>
>> It's NOT irrelevant, just sensible.
>
> it's not the least bit sensible. it's none of your business unless that
> information is volunteered in some way.

It's not a FREE BBS - someone is paying for it!

https://xenforo.com/purchase/

Perhaps a philanthropist, but it would be comforting to know the truth.

> you were trolling, which is why the moderators killed the thread.

Nope. You're wrong!

>> Read here:-
>>
>> https://www.ph
>
> apparently, you're continuing to troll there, which will likely result
> in a ban, thereby relieving the people of the site from your bullshit.

You may follow the conversation here if you wish:-

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 10:05:33 +0100
References: <ZH49C.360796$qG4.136583@fx20.fr7> <koba6dpgnvtr1j7895ur7i01k1gqvi8imt@4ax.com> <_xn9C.449811$6_2.43059@fx30.fr7> <220120181045236215%nospam@nospam.invalid> <Zlr9C.639740$2X4.197226@fx11.fr7> <220120181459311120%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p45lo5$34u$1@dont-email.me> <220120181658420177%nospam@nospam.invalid> <IIt9C.742728$aI1.621339@fx23.fr7> <220120181825242292%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ALC9C.670870$t31.364737@fx26.fr7>
On 2018-01-23 08:54:54 +0000, David B. said:

> On 22/01/2018 23:25, nospam wrote:

>>> It's NOT irrelevant, just sensible.
>>
>> it's not the least bit sensible. it's none of your business unless that
>> information is volunteered in some way.
>
> It's not a FREE BBS - someone is paying for it!
>
> https://xenforo.com/purchase/

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joomla>

You would need to ad a redundant Pentium but...

> Perhaps a philanthropist, but it would be comforting to know the truth.

Prego...
--
teleportation kills

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 08:28:49 -0500
In article <ALC9C.670870$t31.364737@fx26.fr7>, David B.<DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> >> It's NOT irrelevant, just sensible.
> >
> > it's not the least bit sensible. it's none of your business unless that
> > information is volunteered in some way.
>
> It's not a FREE BBS - someone is paying for it!

it's not a bbs at all, and who pays for it and how is not any of your
concern.

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:46:48 -0500
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:56:39 +0000, "David B."<DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>On 22/01/2018 15:45, nospam wrote:
>> In article <_xn9C.449811$6_2.43059@fx30.fr7>, David B.
>><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
>>> and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!
>>
>> those poor people.
>
>Read here!
>
>https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/are-you-inquisitive-too...
>
>>> I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
>>> everyday 'home users' like me.
>>
>> it is.
>>
>> there is a consumer version, however, called photoshop elements.
>>
>> you don't need either one.
>
>OK
>>> Is it something that would make a world
>>> of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
>>> software?
>>
>> it would if you know how to use it. otherwise, hell no.
>
>I'm not sure that I want to do it .... but I might!
>
>>> I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
>>> complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)
>>
>> nope. it's that the gimp is poorly designed, with no attention paid to
>> ui/ux.
>
>You do come out with interesting comments sometimes! ;-)

Don't pay any attention to nospam.  He's never helpful, and just hangs
around here to argue with anything said.

He doesn't have the talent to do anything himself, so he puts others
down.  We don't even know if he does any photography.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:58:41 -0500
In article<rpmc6ddop9cthnivpbqd3rco0id6hqmop1@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> those poor people.
> >
> >Read here!
> >
> >https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/are-you-inquisitive-too...

> >> it is.
> >>
> >> there is a consumer version, however, called photoshop elements.
> >>
> >> you don't need either one.
> >
> >OK
> >>
> >> it would if you know how to use it. otherwise, hell no.
> >
> >I'm not sure that I want to do it .... but I might!

> >> nope. it's that the gimp is poorly designed, with no attention paid to
> >> ui/ux.
> >
> >You do come out with interesting comments sometimes! ;-)
>
> Don't pay any attention to nospam.  He's never helpful, and just hangs
> around here to argue with anything said.
>
> He doesn't have the talent to do anything himself, so he puts others
> down.  We don't even know if he does any photography.

nothing more than ad hominem attacks.

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 17:09:30 -0500
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:58:41 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> >Read here!
>> >
>> >https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/are-you-inquisitive-too...

>> >OK

>> >I'm not sure that I want to do it .... but I might!

>> >You do come out with interesting comments sometimes! ;-)
>>
>> Don't pay any attention to nospam.  He's never helpful, and just hangs
>> around here to argue with anything said.
>>
>> He doesn't have the talent to do anything himself, so he puts others
>> down.  We don't even know if he does any photography.
>
>nothing more than ad hominem attacks.

The truth hurts, hunh?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 18:25:24 -0500
In article<46oc6dd3ajgc2lu9e2uerqjijssma4pq44@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Don't pay any attention to nospam.  He's never helpful, and just hangs
> >> around here to argue with anything said.
> >>
> >> He doesn't have the talent to do anything himself, so he puts others
> >> down.  We don't even know if he does any photography.
> >
> >nothing more than ad hominem attacks.
>
> The truth hurts, hunh?

there is no truth in what you say.

all you can do is insult.

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 08:24:01 +0100
On 2018-01-22 22:09:30 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:58:41 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> Don't pay any attention to nospam.  He's never helpful, and just hangs
>>> around here to argue with anything said.
>>>
>>> He doesn't have the talent to do anything himself, so he puts others
>>> down.  We don't even know if he does any photography.
>>
>> nothing more than ad hominem attacks.
>
> The truth hurts, hunh?

The truth shall set you free!
--
teleportation kills

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 12:48:11 -0500
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:36:25 +0000, "David B."<DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>On 22/01/2018 00:55, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 18:10:00 +0000, "David B."
>><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
>>> grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World War.
>>>
>>> Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
>>>
>>> How best can the image be improved?
>>
>> I suggest you post it at https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/ .
>> Requests like this are handled routinely in that forum, and some of
>> the results are spectacular.  Make sure you title your post to include
>> that you want an old photo reconstructed.
>>
>> In your post, specify that you would like to know what steps were
>> taken in the reconstruction, and that you would like to be able to
>> follow those steps yourself.  State what you will be working with (eg:
>> CC2018, PS6, Elements, Lightroom, etc)*
>>
>> Some of the "gurus" there will do the reconstruction, but if you ask
>> to be informed of the steps they'll provide screenshots.  Even if you
>> want to take on this project yourself, you'll pick up some tips from
>> this group if someone takes on your project.
>>
>> What you start with is going to greatly determine what you end up
>> with.  The better your scan, the better starting point you have.  The
>> higher the resolution at the scanning, the better the result.  It
>> takes longer, but this isn't an issue with one photograph.
>
>Hi Tony
>
>Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
>and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!
>
>I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
>everyday 'home users' like me. Is it something that would make a world
>of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
>software?
>> This looks like a photograph of a photograph, not a scan.  The
>> lighting is poor and too much to the right.  The depth of field is too
>> wide open.  The focus point seems to be the lower right edge. Unless
>> you have a copy stand and the right lighting, a good scan is a better
>> starting point.
>
>You are quite right! My sister took a photograph of the old snapshot
>with her new iPad Pro and, after a number of failed efforts, was truly
>delighted when she discovered that I'd received the image!

What can be done with a restoration is very dependent on the quality
of what you start with.  A photo of a photo sent in email handicaps
the effort from the get-go.  Not an insurmountable handicap, but a
good scan at high resolution would provide a better starting point.

>She's never used a computer nor a smart phone - EVER! It's a
>considerable learning curve for an 81 year old! ;-)
>
>> Actually, you have a good subject to start with.  Except for your
>> grandfather's lower left leg (on the right viewing the image), there's
>> no real need for reconstructing damaged or missing areas.  The crack
>> across the face is a simple fix with the right software.
>>
>> At Photoshop Gurus you aren't guaranteed that someone will work on it
>> unless you offer to pay, but most free requests get good responses.
>
>That good to know, Thank you for your advice. :-)

>> *This is something you should do even in a newsgroup post.  Without
>> knowing what tool box you'll be working with, people can't really give
>> useful instructions.
>
>That's something I'll try to remember. I haven't any additional tools
>above and beyond those included with Apple's High Sierra.

I'm a Windows person and know nothing about what High Sierra does, but
I get the feeling that it's not a program that would lend itself to
this type of project.

>I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
>complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)

At 79 and still learning new applications of Photoshop, I really can't
agree with that.  Gimp is very much deprecated in this group, but
there are many users of Gimp that do manage to come up with some good
work.  Gimp, though, is no different in some ways than programs like
Photoshop:  the complexity of using it diminishes if you put some time
into learning it.  It's really not worth it for a one-shot job like
this, though.

>Once again, thanks for helping.

You're welcome.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 14:07:57 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Jan 22, 2018, David B. wrote
(in article <_xn9C.449811$6_2.43059@fx30.fr7>):

> On 22/01/2018 00:55, Tony Cooper wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 18:10:00 +0000, "David B."
> ><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>  wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
> > > grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World War.
> > >
> > > Here is a copy of same:- https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
> > >
> > > How best can the image be improved?
> >
> > I suggest you post it at https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/ .
> > Requests like this are handled routinely in that forum, and some of
> > the results are spectacular. Make sure you title your post to include
> > that you want an old photo reconstructed.
> >
> > In your post, specify that you would like to know what steps were
> > taken in the reconstruction, and that you would like to be able to
> > follow those steps yourself. State what you will be working with (eg:
> > CC2018, PS6, Elements, Lightroom, etc)*
> >
> > Some of the "gurus" there will do the reconstruction, but if you ask
> > to be informed of the steps they'll provide screenshots. Even if you
> > want to take on this project yourself, you'll pick up some tips from
> > this group if someone takes on your project.
> >
> > What you start with is going to greatly determine what you end up
> > with. The better your scan, the better starting point you have. The
> > higher the resolution at the scanning, the better the result. It
> > takes longer, but this isn't an issue with one photograph.
>
> Hi Tony
>
> Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
> and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!

All good suggestions. However, you are hobbled from the start by not having
the available tools, or editing experience.

> I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
> everyday 'home users' like me. Is it something that would make a world
> of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
> software?

That is a false assumption. There are a considerable number of non-pro photo
enthusiasts in this NG alone who either have, and use an earlier stand-alone
edition of Photoshop, or who subscribe to Adobe CC and have current editions
of Photoshop CC 2018 & Lightroom CC Classic.

> > This looks like a photograph of a photograph, not a scan. The
> > lighting is poor and too much to the right. The depth of field is too
> > wide open. The focus point seems to be the lower right edge. Unless
> > you have a copy stand and the right lighting, a good scan is a better
> > starting point.
>
> You are quite right! My sister took a photograph of the old snapshot
> with her new iPad Pro and, after a number of failed efforts, was truly
> delighted when she discovered that I'd received the image!

....and that is possibly the worst source image to use for any repair. As many
of us have told you, your starting point to obtain a good source image file
is via a high quality flat bed scan, at the highest resolution possible. If
you are not able to do that, then see if you have a local camera store, or
print shop which will do that scan for you.

> She's never used a computer nor a smart phone - EVER! It's a
> considerable learning curve for an 81 year old! ;-)

Well she has an iPad Pro, and she was capable enough to know/learn how to
send you her photo of the photo.

> > Actually, you have a good subject to start with. Except for your
> > grandfather's lower left leg (on the right viewing the image), there's
> > no real need for reconstructing damaged or missing areas. The crack
> > across the face is a simple fix with the right software.
> >
> > At Photoshop Gurus you aren't guaranteed that someone will work on it
> > unless you offer to pay, but most free requests get good responses.
>
> That good to know, Thank you for your advice. :-)
>
> > *This is something you should do even in a newsgroup post. Without
> > knowing what tool box you'll be working with, people can't really give
> > useful instructions.
>
> That's something I'll try to remember. I haven't any additional tools
> above and beyond those included with Apple's High Sierra.

High Sierra is an OS, not a photo editing app. The Apple excuse for a photo
editor is Photos. You should consider at least one of my suggestions below.
You are not going to be able to do anything beyond basic stuff with Photos.

> I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
> complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)
>
> Once again, thanks for helping.

Personally I would not recommend GIMP. If I were you I would look to one of
these Mac apps, each of which are capable of doing the repair work.
Pixelmator (now updated to Pixelmator Pro), and Luminar are very good and
will also give you Extensions to suplement Apple Photos. Affinity Photo is
also very good. However, it has a steeper learning curve than the other two.
All three have many online tutorials and guides.

Pixelmator
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixelmator/id407963104>
Pixelmator Pro
<http://www.pixelmator.com/pro/>

Luminar 2018
<https://macphun.com/luminar>

Affinity Photo
<https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/>

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 23:59:10 +0000
On 22/01/2018 22:07, Savageduck wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2018, David B. wrote
> (in article <_xn9C.449811$6_2.43059@fx30.fr7>):
>
>> On 22/01/2018 00:55, Tony Cooper wrote:

>>> I suggest you post it at https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/ .
>>> Requests like this are handled routinely in that forum, and some of
>>> the results are spectacular. Make sure you title your post to include
>>> that you want an old photo reconstructed.
>>>
>>> In your post, specify that you would like to know what steps were
>>> taken in the reconstruction, and that you would like to be able to
>>> follow those steps yourself. State what you will be working with (eg:
>>> CC2018, PS6, Elements, Lightroom, etc)*
>>>
>>> Some of the "gurus" there will do the reconstruction, but if you ask
>>> to be informed of the steps they'll provide screenshots. Even if you
>>> want to take on this project yourself, you'll pick up some tips from
>>> this group if someone takes on your project.
>>>
>>> What you start with is going to greatly determine what you end up
>>> with. The better your scan, the better starting point you have. The
>>> higher the resolution at the scanning, the better the result. It
>>> takes longer, but this isn't an issue with one photograph.
>>
>> Hi Tony
>>
>> Thank you so much for your link. I've been there to have a quick look
>> and have also enroled on the forum. I'll be returning for sure!
>
> All good suggestions. However, you are hobbled from the start by not having
> the available tools, or editing experience.

I can obtain them if there is a need and I *do* still have the ability
to learn, especially with good folk like you, and others here, to
provide help and advice.

>> I've always thought that Photoshop is for 'professionals', not for
>> everyday 'home users' like me. Is it something that would make a world
>> of difference over the facilities now included with Apple's 'Photos'
>> software?
>
> That is a false assumption. There are a considerable number of non-pro photo
> enthusiasts in this NG alone who either have, and use an earlier stand-alone
> edition of Photoshop, or who subscribe to Adobe CC and have current editions
> of Photoshop CC 2018 & Lightroom CC Classic.

Noted. I've been leaving things until my boating days come to an end.

>>> This looks like a photograph of a photograph, not a scan. The
>>> lighting is poor and too much to the right. The depth of field is too
>>> wide open. The focus point seems to be the lower right edge. Unless
>>> you have a copy stand and the right lighting, a good scan is a better
>>> starting point.
>>
>> You are quite right! My sister took a photograph of the old snapshot
>> with her new iPad Pro and, after a number of failed efforts, was truly
>> delighted when she discovered that I'd received the image!
>
> ...and that is possibly the worst source image to use for any repair. As many
> of us have told you, your starting point to obtain a good source image file
> is via a high quality flat bed scan, at the highest resolution possible. If
> you are not able to do that, then see if you have a local camera store, or
> print shop which will do that scan for you.

All understood. Action will be taken to obtain the original photograph
and proceed as you, and others, have suggested.

>> She's never used a computer nor a smart phone - EVER! It's a
>> considerable learning curve for an 81 year old! ;-)
>
> Well she has an iPad Pro, and she was capable enough to know/learn how to
> send you her photo of the photo.

You wouldn't believe how much time I have spent helping her! Her son and
daughter were totally dismayed when they discovered that I had ordered
the device for her and had had it delivered directly to her home before
Christmas! They'd been telling her for years that she would not be able
to use it.

>>> Actually, you have a good subject to start with. Except for your
>>> grandfather's lower left leg (on the right viewing the image), there's
>>> no real need for reconstructing damaged or missing areas. The crack
>>> across the face is a simple fix with the right software.
>>>
>>> At Photoshop Gurus you aren't guaranteed that someone will work on it
>>> unless you offer to pay, but most free requests get good responses.
>>
>> That good to know, Thank you for your advice. :-)
>>
>>> *This is something you should do even in a newsgroup post. Without
>>> knowing what tool box you'll be working with, people can't really give
>>> useful instructions.
>>
>> That's something I'll try to remember. I haven't any additional tools
>> above and beyond those included with Apple's High Sierra.
>
> High Sierra is an OS, not a photo editing app. The Apple excuse for a photo
> editor is Photos. You should consider at least one of my suggestions below.
> You are not going to be able to do anything beyond basic stuff with Photos.

OK. I will study at the links you have provided.

>> I did once experiment with GIMP on my old iMac but found it rather
>> complicated to use. Perhaps it's an age thing! ;-)
>>
>> Once again, thanks for helping.
>
> Personally I would not recommend GIMP. If I were you I would look to one of
> these Mac apps, each of which are capable of doing the repair work.
> Pixelmator (now updated to Pixelmator Pro), and Luminar are very good and
> will also give you Extensions to suplement Apple Photos. Affinity Photo is
> also very good. However, it has a steeper learning curve than the other two.
> All three have many online tutorials and guides.

I will explore. Thank you. :-)

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 18:12:41 +0100
On 2018-01-21 18:10:00 +0000, David B. said:

> Hi
>
> My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
> grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World
> War.
>
> Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
>
> How best can the image be improved?

I'm soo sorry for your loss! You're with no doubt a troll and that file
is useless! But you could try the free version off Fotor Photo Editor
provided that you could get a better scan of the original. It seems to
have some useless features. Report back to the group and let us know
how it goes...

https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/fotor-photo-editor/id503039729?l=en&...
--
teleportation kills

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 18:29:55 +0100
On 2018-01-22 17:12:41 +0000, android said:

> On 2018-01-21 18:10:00 +0000, David B. said:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
>> grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World
>> War.
>>
>> Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
>>
>> How best can the image be improved?
>
> I'm soo sorry for your loss! You're with no doubt a troll and that file
> is useless! But you could try the free version off Fotor Photo Editor
> provided that you could get a better scan of the original. It seems to
> have some useless features. Report back to the group and let us know
> how it goes...
>
> https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/fotor-photo-editor/id503039729?l=en&...

I downloaded the app meself and had a go... Do you want me to post the result?
--
teleportation kills

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:31:02 +0000
On 22/01/2018 17:29, android wrote:
> On 2018-01-22 17:12:41 +0000, android said:
>
>> On 2018-01-21 18:10:00 +0000, David B. said:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
>>> grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World
>>> War.
>>>
>>> Here is a copy of same:-  https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW
>>>
>>> How best can the image be improved?
>>
>> I'm soo sorry for your loss! You're with no doubt a troll and that
>> file is useless! But you could try the free version off Fotor Photo
>> Editor provided that you could get a better scan of the original. It
>> seems to have some useless features. Report back to the group and let
>> us know how it goes...
>>
>> https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/fotor-photo-editor/id503039729?l=en&...
>
> I downloaded the app meself and had a go... Do you want me to post the
> result?

Wow! Yes, please. :-)

--
David B.

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:43:48 -0500

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 14:15:09 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Jan 22, 2018, Tony Cooper wrote
(in article<rimc6ddduilescqis3vl7our14kpj29b7e@4ax.com>):

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:31:02 +0000, "David B."
><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>  wrote:

> > > I downloaded the app meself and had a go... Do you want me to post the
> > > result?
> >
> > Wow! Yes, please. :-)
>
> I took a shot at it. Mostly cleaned up, but I'm not happy with the
> foot restoration. I'd prefer to replace the background on the left,
> but that table needs to stay there.
>
> https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Photos/i-PZK8MPx/0/245e38d0/O/2018-01...
>
> Done in Photoshop (CC 2018)

Not bad, not bad at all. Good work Tony.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:39:33 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Jan 22, 2018, Savageduck wrote
(in article<0001HW.201699ED01FAEA7E7000054A32CF@news.giganews.com>):

> On Jan 22, 2018, Tony Cooper wrote
> (in article<rimc6ddduilescqis3vl7our14kpj29b7e@4ax.com>):
>
> > On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:31:02 +0000, "David B."
> ><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>  wrote:

> > > Wow! Yes, please. :-)
> >
> > I took a shot at it. Mostly cleaned up, but I'm not happy with the
> > foot restoration. I'd prefer to replace the background on the left,
> > but that table needs to stay there.
> >
> > https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Photos/i-PZK8MPx/0/245e38d0/O/2018-01...
> >
> > Done in Photoshop (CC 2018)
>
> Not bad, not bad at all. Good work Tony.

Though I see you have given him two right feet. ;-)

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 21:01:09 -0500
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 14:15:09 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On Jan 22, 2018, Tony Cooper wrote
>(in article<rimc6ddduilescqis3vl7our14kpj29b7e@4ax.com>):
>
>> On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:31:02 +0000, "David B."
>><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>  wrote:

>> > Wow! Yes, please. :-)
>>
>> I took a shot at it. Mostly cleaned up, but I'm not happy with the
>> foot restoration. I'd prefer to replace the background on the left,
>> but that table needs to stay there.
>>
>> https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Photos/i-PZK8MPx/0/245e38d0/O/2018-01...
>>
>> Done in Photoshop (CC 2018)
>
>Not bad, not bad at all. Good work Tony.

The problem with this type of project is that there is no end. Anytime
you stop, you look at it and see something else that can be done.

It's difficult to keep in mind that the finished product should look
like the original...but in better shape.  It's not going to be a nice,
sharp photograph most of the time.

The other problem is what I encountered with the foot.  You have to
have a source to use to create a missing part.  I shoulda done better
with the heel and the floor.  I would have done something with his
left hand, but taking the right and flopping and turning it still
wouldn't make it a good source.  Coulda maybe drawn in some lines to
show fingers in closed fist.

Finally, I just said "That's it" and flattened and saved as a .jpg.  I
had to go to the baseball field.  Tonight was try-out night for the
new baseball season for the middle grandson, and the night the coaches
decide who to draft.  He did well.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 22:40:43 +0000
On 22/01/2018 21:43, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 19:31:02 +0000, "David B."
><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>>> I downloaded the app meself and had a go... Do you want me to post the
>>> result?
>>
>> Wow! Yes, please. :-)
>

> I took a shot at it.  Mostly cleaned up, but I'm not happy with the
> foot restoration.  I'd prefer to replace the background on the left,
> but that table needs to stay there.
>
> https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Photos/i-PZK8MPx/0/245e38d0/O/2018-01...
>
> Done in Photoshop (CC 2018)

Wow! That's amazing. :-)

Thank you so much, Tony. :-)

May I send your copy to my sister?

--
David B.

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 17:47:30 -0500

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 23:32:36 +0000
On 22/01/2018 22:47, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 22:40:43 +0000, "David B."
><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>> On 22/01/2018 21:43, Tony Cooper wrote:

>>> I took a shot at it.  Mostly cleaned up, but I'm not happy with the
>>> foot restoration.  I'd prefer to replace the background on the left,
>>> but that table needs to stay there.
>>>
>>> https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Photos/i-PZK8MPx/0/245e38d0/O/2018-01...
>>>
>>> Done in Photoshop (CC 2018)
>>
>> Wow! That's amazing. :-)
>>
>> Thank you so much, Tony. :-)
>>
>> May I send your copy to my sister?
>
> It's yours.  Download and do whatever you want with it.  I like a
> challenge and the chance to play around in Photoshop.

Thank you, Tony. You are most kind. :-)

I will obtain the original photograph from my sister in due course and
scan it on my Cannon PSC. I'll then let you have a copy to play with
once again if you wish. How do you suggest that I pass same on to you to
maintain the best quality image for you to work on?

With kind regards,

--
David.

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 17:49:15 +0000
On 22/01/2018 23:32, David B. wrote:
> On 22/01/2018 22:47, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 22:40:43 +0000, "David B."
>><DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>>> Wow! That's amazing. :-)
>>>
>>> Thank you so much, Tony. :-)
>>>
>>> May I send your copy to my sister?
>>
>> It's yours.  Download and do whatever you want with it.  I like a
>> challenge and the chance to play around in Photoshop.
>
> Thank you, Tony. You are most kind. :-)
>
> I will obtain the original photograph from my sister in due course and
> scan it on my Cannon PSC. I'll then let you have a copy to play with
> once again if you wish. How do you suggest that I pass same on to you to
> maintain the best quality image for you to work on?
>
> With kind regards,

No response received. :-(

You may view the scanned image here, should you so wish:-

http://www.mediafire.com/view/6q6mpjga2ja9eu2/Granddad%20scan.jpeg

Granddad is holding a 'swagger stick' in his left hand!

Thanks again for 'playing'! :-)

--
David B.

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 13:55:40 -0500

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 12:46:39 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Jan 24, 2018, David B. wrote
(in article <xG3aC.521993$hn.138347@fx07.fr7>):

> On 22/01/2018 23:32, David B. wrote:
> > On 22/01/2018 22:47, Tony Cooper wrote:

> > > It's yours. Download and do whatever you want with it. I like a
> > > challenge and the chance to play around in Photoshop.
> >
> > Thank you, Tony. You are most kind. :-)
> >
> > I will obtain the original photograph from my sister in due course and
> > scan it on my Cannon PSC. I'll then let you have a copy to play with
> > once again if you wish. How do you suggest that I pass same on to you to
> > maintain the best quality image for you to work on?
> >
> > With kind regards,
>
> No response received. :-(
>
> You may view the scanned image here, should you so wish:-
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/view/6q6mpjga2ja9eu2/Granddad%20scan.jpeg
>
> Granddad is holding a 'swagger stick' in his left hand!
>
> Thanks again for 'playing'! :-)

It would have been nice to have that as a .TIFF, but no matter. Here is what
I came up with.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/wngnfgyqybjh093/Granddad-E2.png>

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 13:00:54 -0800
References: <ZH49C.360796$qG4.136583@fx20.fr7> <fcmkc9FcpbdU1@mid.individual.net> <fcmlcjFd120U1@mid.individual.net> <WZq9C.649714$Pi3.325238@fx24.fr7> <rimc6ddduilescqis3vl7our14kpj29b7e@4ax.com> <LLt9C.742729$aI1.507818@fx23.fr7> <6bqc6dppl881cas25k46faoeckh8l5oilk@4ax.com> <rwu9C.591948$SF3.141078@fx28.fr7> <xG3aC.521993$hn.138347@fx07.fr7> <0001HW.2019282F029440EB7000008DA2CF@news.giganews.com>
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 12:46:39 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On Jan 24, 2018, David B. wrote
>(in article <xG3aC.521993$hn.138347@fx07.fr7>):

>> > Thank you, Tony. You are most kind. :-)
>> >
>> > I will obtain the original photograph from my sister in due course and
>> > scan it on my Cannon PSC. I'll then let you have a copy to play with
>> > once again if you wish. How do you suggest that I pass same on to you to
>> > maintain the best quality image for you to work on?
>> >
>> > With kind regards,
>>
>> No response received. :-(
>>
>> You may view the scanned image here, should you so wish:-
>>
>> http://www.mediafire.com/view/6q6mpjga2ja9eu2/Granddad%20scan.jpeg
>>
>> Granddad is holding a 'swagger stick' in his left hand!
>>
>> Thanks again for 'playing'! :-)
>
>It would have been nice to have that as a .TIFF, but no matter. Here is what
>I came up with.
>
><https://www.dropbox.com/s/wngnfgyqybjh093/Granddad-E2.png>

That's pretty good. The only obvious anomaly you left is what appears
as a hole in his right ear. I think that's easily fixed.

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 21:57:23 +0000
On 24/01/2018 20:46, Savageduck wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2018, David B. wrote
> (in article <xG3aC.521993$hn.138347@fx07.fr7>):

>>> Thank you, Tony. You are most kind. :-)
>>>
>>> I will obtain the original photograph from my sister in due course and
>>> scan it on my Cannon PSC. I'll then let you have a copy to play with
>>> once again if you wish. How do you suggest that I pass same on to you to
>>> maintain the best quality image for you to work on?
>>>
>>> With kind regards,
>>
>> No response received. :-(
>>
>> You may view the scanned image here, should you so wish:-
>>
>> http://www.mediafire.com/view/6q6mpjga2ja9eu2/Granddad%20scan.jpeg
>>
>> Granddad is holding a 'swagger stick' in his left hand!
>>
>> Thanks again for 'playing'! :-)
>
> It would have been nice to have that as a .TIFF, but no matter. Here is what
> I came up with.
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/wngnfgyqybjh093/Granddad-E2.png>

That is FANTASTIC!  :-)

THANK YOU!

--
David B.

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 16:05:54 +0000
On 24/01/2018 20:46, Savageduck wrote:
[....]
> It would have been nice to have that as a .TIFF, but no matter. Here is what
> I came up with.
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/wngnfgyqybjh093/Granddad-E2.png>

Hi 'Savageduck'

I wonder if you can deduce if my grandfather's cap badge looks like the
one shown here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_Light_Infantry

I'd be grateful if you would take a look.

--
David B.

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 11:18:10 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <ZH49C.360796$qG4.136583@fx20.fr7> <fcmkc9FcpbdU1@mid.individual.net> <fcmlcjFd120U1@mid.individual.net> <WZq9C.649714$Pi3.325238@fx24.fr7> <rimc6ddduilescqis3vl7our14kpj29b7e@4ax.com> <LLt9C.742729$aI1.507818@fx23.fr7> <6bqc6dppl881cas25k46faoeckh8l5oilk@4ax.com> <rwu9C.591948$SF3.141078@fx28.fr7> <xG3aC.521993$hn.138347@fx07.fr7> <0001HW.2019282F029440EB7000008DA2CF@news.giganews.com> <Cr1bC.566129$9Z.475914@fx19.fr7>
On Jan 27, 2018, David B. wrote
(in article <Cr1bC.566129$9Z.475914@fx19.fr7>):

> On 24/01/2018 20:46, Savageduck wrote:
> [....]
> > It would have been nice to have that as a .TIFF, but no matter. Here is what
> > I came up with.
> >
> > <https://www.dropbox.com/s/wngnfgyqybjh093/Granddad-E2.png>
>
> Hi 'Savageduck'
>
> I wonder if you can deduce if my grandfather's cap badge looks like the
> one shown here:-
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_Light_Infantry
>
> I'd be grateful if you would take a look.

It would be difficult to confirm that, however, the cap badge does seem to
have the shape of the DLI badge.

I would suggest that you have a few options to reseach that for yourself in
the UK. This is your quest, not mine, and you are better located to do the
work.

Start with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, both web site, and/or
offices. Then from the Wikipedia article you provided, the Durham County
Records Office which seems to hold DLI archives might prove to be helpful.
Also You could try and contact WWI historic organizations for service roster
records.The Royal British Legion might be of some help.

<https://www.cwgc.org>

<http://www.greatwar.co.uk/war-graves/ww1-war-graves.htm>

<http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/10563/Durham-Light-Inf...
Archives>

<http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/10566/Researching-Firs...
War-British-Soldiers>

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
<0001HW.201D07F20047561B70000ED142CF@news.giganews.com>
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 20:51:34 +0000
On 27/01/2018 19:18, Savageduck wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2018, David B. wrote
> (in article <Cr1bC.566129$9Z.475914@fx19.fr7>):
>
>> On 24/01/2018 20:46, Savageduck wrote:
>> [....]
>>> It would have been nice to have that as a .TIFF, but no matter. Here is what
>>> I came up with.
>>>
>>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/wngnfgyqybjh093/Granddad-E2.png>
>>
>> Hi 'Savageduck'
>>
>> I wonder if you can deduce if my grandfather's cap badge looks like the
>> one shown here:-
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_Light_Infantry
>>
>> I'd be grateful if you would take a look.
>
> It would be difficult to confirm that, however, the cap badge does seem to
> have the shape of the DLI badge.
>
> I would suggest that you have a few options to reseach that for yourself in
> the UK. This is your quest, not mine, and you are better located to do the
> work.
>
> Start with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, both web site, and/or
> offices. Then from the Wikipedia article you provided, the Durham County
> Records Office which seems to hold DLI archives might prove to be helpful.
> Also You could try and contact WWI historic organizations for service roster
> records.The Royal British Legion might be of some help.
>
> <https://www.cwgc.org>
>
> <http://www.greatwar.co.uk/war-graves/ww1-war-graves.htm>
>
> <http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/10563/Durham-Light-Inf...
> Archives>
>
> <http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/10566/Researching-Firs...
> War-British-Soldiers>

Oops! Thanks for yours efforts, Savageduck.

ALL I was after was your view as to whether or not the image of his cap
badge shown in your photoshop (or other) software image matches that of
the cap badge shown in Wikipedia.

 From what I've now unearthed on Ancestry.com, it seems that granddad
*was* in the 19th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry but /later/
transferred to the Royal Engineers (i.e. AFTER that image was taken).

I've now discovered a photograph of MY dad - can you see any resemblance
to granddad?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/eqrox9qbbnwdxdg/My%20dad%2C%20on%20th...

This photograph must have been taken in his late teens/very early
twenties because he was no longer in the army when he married my mother
at the age of twenty three (in the first quarter of 1934). Dad was
married in 1911.

--
David B.

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
<sD5bC.573015$9Z.119928@fx19.fr7>
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 21:07:10 +0000
On 27/01/2018 20:51, David B. got things muddled! :-(

> Dad was married in 1911

Dad was *BORN* in 1911

Sorry about that. :-(

--
David B.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 16:13:10 -0500
References: <ZH49C.360796$qG4.136583@fx20.fr7> <fcmkc9FcpbdU1@mid.individual.net> <fcmlcjFd120U1@mid.individual.net> <WZq9C.649714$Pi3.325238@fx24.fr7> <rimc6ddduilescqis3vl7our14kpj29b7e@4ax.com> <LLt9C.742729$aI1.507818@fx23.fr7> <6bqc6dppl881cas25k46faoeckh8l5oilk@4ax.com> <rwu9C.591948$SF3.141078@fx28.fr7> <xG3aC.521993$hn.138347@fx07.fr7> <0001HW.2019282F029440EB7000008DA2CF@news.giganews.com> <Cr1bC.566129$9Z.475914@fx19.fr7> <0001HW.201D07F20047561B70000ED142CF@news.giganews.com> <sD5bC.573015$9Z.119928@fx19.fr7> <2S5bC.736557$2X4.252554@fx11.fr7>
In article <2S5bC.736557$2X4.252554@fx11.fr7>, David B.<DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> Dad was *BORN* in 1911
>
> Sorry about that. :-(

so is the rest of the world.