> Prev
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Subject: Lightroom Classic CC problem
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 16:05:42 +1300
My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
When I select Print it brings up the appropriate screen identifying
the printer and the paper size and then a notice pops up which says
something like:

   Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.

   A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
   Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
   available.

As far as I know all my software is up to date. Is this just my
problem or have other people also experienced it?

W10 of course.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Subject: Re: Lightroom Classic CC problem
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 19:20:21 -0800
On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 16:05:42 +1300, Eric Stevens<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

>My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
>When I select Print it brings up the appropriate screen identifying
>the printer and the paper size and then a notice pops up which says
>something like:
>
>   Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
>
>   A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
>   Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
>   available.
>
>As far as I know all my software is up to date. Is this just my
>problem or have other people also experienced it?
>
>W10 of course.

I think there was a recent Win update, so check for the latest printer
drivers.

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 16:31:48 +1300
On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 16:05:42 +1300, Eric Stevens<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

>My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
>When I select Print it brings up the appropriate screen identifying
>the printer and the paper size and then a notice pops up which says
>something like:
>
>   Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
>
>   A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
>   Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
>   available.
>
>As far as I know all my software is up to date. Is this just my
>problem or have other people also experienced it?
>
>W10 of course.

This gets slightly weird.

Trial 1
-------
I started up LR and then Task Manager and there was LR. I selected
'PRINT' and up popped the notice once again. I ignored the invitation
to shut the program down and instead shut down the warning notice. I
then tried LR and found that nothing responded. I tried shut it down
(clicking on X) and got no response. I tried shutting it down using
Task Manager and found it wouldn't shut down. I then shut down the
computer from the Windows button.

Trial 2
-------
I rebooted the computer and started Task Manager. I then started LR
and all looked OK on the surface but I noticed that Task Manager was
showing LR taking a steadily increasing amount of memory until it got
to (about) 683Mb, at which point it instantaneously got back to 9.7Mb.
I selected 'PRINT' and got the warning notice once again. At this
point LR had dissapeared from the Task Manager. I I tried shutting LR
down from the X in the corner of the LR window. To my surprise LR did
not just shut down but started the backup routine and then shut down
after the backup had finished, all the while with no LR showing in the
Task Manager.

As far as I can see, the Library and Develop sections of LR seem to
work correctly.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 19:59:14 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Feb 5, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in article<li7i7dlsaf25grpebuhcslalhg5917196f@4ax.com>):

> On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 16:05:42 +1300, Eric Stevens
><eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>  wrote:
>
> > My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
> > When I select Print it brings up the appropriate screen identifying
> > the printer and the paper size and then a notice pops up which says
> > something like:
> >
> > Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
> >
> > A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
> > Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
> > available.
> >
> > As far as I know all my software is up to date. Is this just my
> > problem or have other people also experienced it?
> >
> > W10 of course.
>
> This gets slightly weird.
>
> Trial 1
> -------
> I started up LR and then Task Manager and there was LR. I selected
> 'PRINT' and up popped the notice once again. I ignored the invitation
> to shut the program down and instead shut down the warning notice. I
> then tried LR and found that nothing responded. I tried shut it down
> (clicking on X) and got no response. I tried shutting it down using
> Task Manager and found it wouldn't shut down. I then shut down the
> computer from the Windows button.

That sounds like a W10 - LR CCC conflict, and might be printer driver
related.

> Trial 2
> -------
> I rebooted the computer and started Task Manager. I then started LR
> and all looked OK on the surface but I noticed that Task Manager was
> showing LR taking a steadily increasing amount of memory until it got
> to (about) 683Mb, at which point it instantaneously got back to 9.7Mb.
> I selected 'PRINT' and got the warning notice once again. At this
> point LR had dissapeared from the Task Manager. I I tried shutting LR
> down from the X in the corner of the LR window. To my surprise LR did
> not just shut down but started the backup routine and then shut down
> after the backup had finished, all the while with no LR showing in the
> Task Manager.

That sounds like some sort of memory leak.

> As far as I can see, the Library and Develop sections of LR seem to
> work correctly.

I hate to be the ignorant Apple user in the room, but what is this Task
Manager of which you talk?

It certainly doesn’t seem to be managing LR printing tasks.

I believe you have little choice other than contacting Adobe CC support, and
or MS W10 support.

....and then there is Epson to see if there is an issue with their driver and
the current edition of W10.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 09:13:30 -0500
"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote

| I hate to be the ignorant Apple user in the room, but what is this Task
| Manager of which you talk?

  It's not really a manager. It's a system applet designed
to be unaffected by software running at "user" level.
It can be invoked to see how much RAM is in use, CPU
usage, and to see a list of running processes, along
with their memory usage.

  For general usage, Process Monitor from Sysinternals
is much better. It provides more info, including a list
of loaded libraries for each process. But TaskMon, as
it's often called, can be handy for killing a frozen program.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 16:00:12 -0500
On 2/6/2018 9:13 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote
>
> | I hate to be the ignorant Apple user in the room, but what is this Task
> | Manager of which you talk?
> |

>    It's not really a manager. It's a system applet designed
> to be unaffected by software running at "user" level.
> It can be invoked to see how much RAM is in use, CPU
> usage, and to see a list of running processes, along
> with their memory usage.
>
>    For general usage, Process Monitor from Sysinternals
> is much better. It provides more info, including a list
> of loaded libraries for each process. But TaskMon, as
> it's often called, can be handy for killing a frozen program.

Yep. It hand frozen programs well. And to think Bill Gates originally
did not want it included in the O/S.

--
PeterN

From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Full headers:
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 19:47:05 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Feb 5, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in article<fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com>):

> My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
> When I select Print it brings up the appropriate screen identifying
> the printer and the paper size and then a notice pops up which says
> something like:
>
> Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.

“Something like?” What was the exact wording?

Was there no error code?

Are you getting any sort of crash report?

Have you notified Adobe CC Support?

> A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Obviously, but where does the problem lie, with LR CCC, or W10?

> Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
> available.

I gather Windows hasn’t been able to figure out a solution?

> As far as I know all my software is up to date. Is this just my
> problem or have other people also experienced it?
>
> W10 of course.

Printer driver?

Current LR CCC on macOS no issue with the print module.

BTW: I am heading out of here on my trip to South Africa in the early AM. So
I will be away from my desktop for about a month, and I will be restricted to
my iPad Pro, iPhone, and Adobe mobile apps for about a month.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 00:43:10 -0500
On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 19:47:05 -0800, Savageduck

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 21:31:37 +1300
On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 19:47:05 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On Feb 5, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
>(in article<fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com>):
>
>> My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
>> When I select Print it brings up the appropriate screen identifying
>> the printer and the paper size and then a notice pops up which says
>> something like:

You are about to start commenting on the message text. In my previous
post I quoted it as reading:

   Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.

   A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
   Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
   available.

>> Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
>
>“Something like?” What was the exact wording?
>
>Was there no error code?

Nope

>Are you getting any sort of crash report?

Nope

>Have you notified Adobe CC Support?

Not yet

>> A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
>
>Obviously, but where does the problem lie, with LR CCC, or W10?
>>
>> Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
>> available.
>
>I gather Windows hasn’t been able to figure out a solution?

Not that it has told me.

>> As far as I know all my software is up to date. Is this just my
>> problem or have other people also experienced it?
>>
>> W10 of course.
>
>Printer driver?

Don't think so. It doesn't get s far as trying to print. I hadn't even
selected a template.

>Current LR CCC on macOS no issue with the print module.
>
>BTW: I am heading out of here on my trip to South Africa in the early AM. So
>I will be away from my desktop for about a month, and I will be restricted to
>my iPad Pro, iPhone, and Adobe mobile apps for about a month.

Have a good trip.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: David B. <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 10:59:56 +0000
On 06/02/2018 03:47, Savageduck wrote:
> I am heading out of here on my trip to South Africa in the early AM. So
> I will be away from my desktop for about a month, and I will be restricted to
> my iPad Pro, iPhone, and Adobe mobile apps for about a month.
>
> -- Regards, Savageduck

I trust that you'll have an outstanding visit. :-)

A long-standing friend and his wife went there in December and posted
lots of interesting items on Facebook. I'll be happy to share them with
you if you are on Facebook yourself.

--
David B.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 22:59:37 -0500
In article<fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.

no problems with windows since 2000, you say?

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 21:33:16 +1300
On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 22:59:37 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article<fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
><eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
>
>no problems with windows since 2000, you say?

That was two or three days ago. Even so, we don't yet know where the
problem arises.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 13:18:53 +0000
On 06/02/2018 08:33, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 22:59:37 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> In article<fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
>><eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
>>
>> no problems with windows since 2000, you say?
>
> That was two or three days ago. Even so, we don't yet know where the
> problem arises.

Don't use lightroom, but Win10 regularly shags my printer settings
somewhere. The last occasion (in the past couple of days) was printing
from Acrobat.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 10:06:15 -0500
In article<i0qi7dtp98m553qfg1lg2hld63tk4jka91@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> >> My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
> >
> >no problems with windows since 2000, you say?
>
> That was two or three days ago. Even so, we don't yet know where the
> problem arises.

windows.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 10:48:50 -0500
"Eric Stevens"<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote

|   Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
|
|   A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
|   Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
|   available.

   You might find something out if there's a button
for "Details". I have Visual Studio installed, which
also gives me the option to debug the CPU instructions!
But it's rare that you'll learn anything helpful from
all that. Sometimes if it tells you a DLL that crashed
then that might tell you something.

  What you're seeing is just a PR wrapper around
a program crash. The program crashed. Microsoft
is making it look like they've got everything under
control: "Don't worry. We're on it." It used to be that
it just crashed. Now Microsoft design it to make
you think there's an army of people in lab coats
standing by to examine the problem and fix it....
And that's why Win10 *must* be spyware. For
your own good.

   So why did the program crash? Maybe it's an Adobe
bug. Maybe it's an incompatible printer driver. Maybe
it's something seemingly unrelated, like a font mixup
or graphics problem. All you can do is to search and
see if someone has figured it out. (And watch out
for false information. There are a lot of people who
stop getting a rash after drinking a Coke and then
jump to the conclusion that Coke cures rashes.)

  But you also have to remember that you really
shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
decides to zap you with their next test version that
corporate customers don't have to put up with.

   That may seem snide, or anti-Win10, or
anti-Microsoft, but it's actually just plain fact.
Win10 is not a stable system. System updates
need to be carefully tested over time for
compatibility. Corporate IT people do that before
rolling out updates to their "fleet". Prior to Win10,
even those tested updates were tested for months
or years *before* the IT people got them. A
Windows version or service pack was
created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
in version after version.... Only after months or
even years of that was the final version released for
IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
works that way. You're getting largely untested
updates that Microsoft forces down your throat
when the mood hits them.

  With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
without getting paid for your trouble.

  But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
know where the problem is coming from.

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 17:21:10 +0100
On 2018-02-06 15:48:50 +0000, Mayayana said:

> "Eric Stevens"<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote
>
> |   Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
> |
> |   A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
> |   Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
> |   available.
> |

>    You might find something out if there's a button
> for "Details". I have Visual Studio installed, which
> also gives me the option to debug the CPU instructions!
> But it's rare that you'll learn anything helpful from
> all that. Sometimes if it tells you a DLL that crashed
> then that might tell you something.
>
>   What you're seeing is just a PR wrapper around
> a program crash. The program crashed. Microsoft
> is making it look like they've got everything under
> control: "Don't worry. We're on it." It used to be that
> it just crashed. Now Microsoft design it to make
> you think there's an army of people in lab coats
> standing by to examine the problem and fix it....
> And that's why Win10 *must* be spyware. For
> your own good.
>
>    So why did the program crash? Maybe it's an Adobe
> bug. Maybe it's an incompatible printer driver. Maybe
> it's something seemingly unrelated, like a font mixup
> or graphics problem. All you can do is to search and
> see if someone has figured it out. (And watch out
> for false information. There are a lot of people who
> stop getting a rash after drinking a Coke and then
> jump to the conclusion that Coke cures rashes.)
>
>   But you also have to remember that you really
> shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
> You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
> can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
> decides to zap you with their next test version that
> corporate customers don't have to put up with.
>
>    That may seem snide, or anti-Win10, or
> anti-Microsoft, but it's actually just plain fact.
> Win10 is not a stable system. System updates
> need to be carefully tested over time for
> compatibility. Corporate IT people do that before
> rolling out updates to their "fleet". Prior to Win10,
> even those tested updates were tested for months
> or years *before* the IT people got them. A
> Windows version or service pack was
> created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
> in version after version.... Only after months or
> even years of that was the final version released for
> IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
> works that way. You're getting largely untested
> updates that Microsoft forces down your throat
> when the mood hits them.
>
>   With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
> without getting paid for your trouble.

True, but who would volunteer to work for a company like Microsoft
without getting paid? If MS want work for free then they obviosly have
to make them Win 10 Home users use untested soft... And then just wait
for bugreports so that updates can be fixed before Win 10 Pro users
updates at their convenience.

>   But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
> that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
> or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
> know where the problem is coming from.

Windows?
--
teleportation kills

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 13:16:20 -0500
"android"<here@there.was> wrote

| >   With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
| > without getting paid for your trouble.
|
| True, but who would volunteer to work for a company like Microsoft
| without getting paid?

   You'd be surprised. I know I am. :)
   Even with Win10 there are "early adopters" who are
thrilled to get the latest version before anyone else
and to imagine they're getting a pat on the head.

   Before Win10 there was no shortage of beta testers.
They feel important making bug reports. And if they
write software then beta testing gives them early access
to test their own product. Though that second reason
doesn't hold water. There's little benefit in testing on
a system that's still subject to change.

   When I first started selling shareware online, Microsoft
found me quickly. I guess they check the software
download sites. I got two emails from them. Both
basically said, "Thank you for your interest in beta
testing. Please choose which products you would like
to test. If you decide not to be a beta tester you
will probably at least want to consider buying a Technet
membership." (That was something like $2K/year for
free copies of Windows and Office, along with docs.)

  I was amazed at the nerve, pretending that I'd
want to do their work for free AND subscribe to a
wildly overpriced support subscription. (It's the
software authors, after all, that gave Microsoft their
monopoly.) But over time I found that their email
was not really so outrageous. A lot of people really
want to be lackeys for Microsoft. Just like little kids
want to go with Dad to the store.

| If MS want work for free then they obviosly have
| to make them Win 10 Home users use untested soft... And then just wait
| for bugreports so that updates can be fixed before Win 10 Pro users
| updates at their convenience.

 Win10 Pro users are also suckers in this. The
ability to defer updates is limited, and MS no longer
makes clear exactly what's in updates.

| >   But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
| > that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
| > or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
| > know where the problem is coming from.
|
| Windows?

   Windows. Printer drivers. Adobe software. Or 100
other things. I once wrote a program that kept closing
as soon as it started. I couldn't figure out why. It
turned out the problem was that I was enumerating printer
fonts at startup and if there was no printer connected
that caused a crash without error. The problem is not
always with the software that's crashing, and when it is
the cause may be unexpected.

   That's why I suggest doing a search. Something like:

[printer model] crash lightroom windows 10

   The relevant Adobe forum posts should show up
in the search, but so will discussions of the printer
model and Win10/printer issues. If it's a problem
for other people there's a good chance someone
already found the solution - or lack of it.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 13:19:57 -0500
In article <p5cre2$pc5$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | >   With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
> | > without getting paid for your trouble.
> |
> | True, but who would volunteer to work for a company like Microsoft
> | without getting paid?
>
>    You'd be surprised. I know I am. :)
>    Even with Win10 there are "early adopters" who are
> thrilled to get the latest version before anyone else
> and to imagine they're getting a pat on the head.

they're not working for microsoft.

>    Before Win10 there was no shortage of beta testers.

that's no different now.

> They feel important making bug reports. And if they
> write software then beta testing gives them early access
> to test their own product. Though that second reason
> doesn't hold water. There's little benefit in testing on
> a system that's still subject to change.

false.

> | >   But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
> | > that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
> | > or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
> | > know where the problem is coming from.
> |
> | Windows?
>
>    Windows. Printer drivers. Adobe software. Or 100
> other things. I once wrote a program that kept closing
> as soon as it started. I couldn't figure out why.

then you're not very good at writing or debugging software.

> It turned out the problem was that I was enumerating printer
> fonts at startup and if there was no printer connected
> that caused a crash without error. The problem is not
> always with the software that's crashing, and when it is
> the cause may be unexpected.

in other words, your bug.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 16:09:51 -0500
On 2/6/2018 11:21 AM, android wrote:

<snip>

> True, but who would volunteer to work for a company like Microsoft
> without getting paid? If MS want work for free then they obviosly have
> to make them Win 10 Home users use untested soft... And then just wait
> for bugreports so that updates can be fixed before Win 10 Pro users
> updates at their convenience.

I have issues with Win 10 Pro, on my laptop. Yet some of my friends say
they have no issues with Win 10.

--
PeterN

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 17:05:55 -0500
"PeterN" <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote

| I have issues with Win 10 Pro, on my laptop. Yet some of my friends say
| they have no issues with Win 10.

 I guess it depends on what you do and what you
expect. Some people probably think every time
they get interrupted for updates it means pure
goodness is flowing into their computer. :)

   I saw something yesterday about shutting off
uncontrolled updates and spyware. It was a
complicated series of PowerShell incantations,
but all it actually did was to disable the Windows
Update service. (Much easier to accomplish through
the services applet, but I guess that doesn't justify
an article. Numerous obscure incantations makes
it sound fancy.)

  I don't know whether that actually works. I would
think Windows would go around it, or eventually
throw a tantrum, demanding to call home. But if
I had Win10 I'd try it. As it is, I always do that
on WinXP and Win7 anyway. I just installs SPs.
And I installed the "wrapup" for Win7. But I don't
allow any willy nilly dripfeed.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 23:51:25 -0500
On 2/7/2018 5:05 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> "PeterN" <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote
>
> | I have issues with Win 10 Pro, on my laptop. Yet some of my friends say
> | they have no issues with Win 10.
> |

>   I guess it depends on what you do and what you
> expect. Some people probably think every time
> they get interrupted for updates it means pure
> goodness is flowing into their computer. :)
>
>     I saw something yesterday about shutting off
> uncontrolled updates and spyware. It was a
> complicated series of PowerShell incantations,
> but all it actually did was to disable the Windows
> Update service. (Much easier to accomplish through
> the services applet, but I guess that doesn't justify
> an article. Numerous obscure incantations makes
> it sound fancy.)
>
>    I don't know whether that actually works. I would
> think Windows would go around it, or eventually
> throw a tantrum, demanding to call home. But if
> I had Win10 I'd try it. As it is, I always do that
> on WinXP and Win7 anyway. I just installs SPs.
> And I installed the "wrapup" for Win7. But I don't
> allow any willy nilly dripfeed.

I have had few issues with Win7. I have had password issues with the
Chrome browser, when I change passwords.

--
PeterN

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 10:03:13 -0500
"PeterN" <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote

| I have had few issues with Win7. I have had password issues with the
| Chrome browser, when I change passwords.

  I've never tried that. I don't use anything that
Google have had their hands on. Too slimy. But
watch out this week. There was a bug. I don't
know if it's fixed yet. Sites are crashing/freezing
Chrome by using a javascript bug to trick it
into masive downloads. On the bright side it seems
to be used as part of a scam rather than a direct
attack. As in, "Bad guys have attacked your
browser. Click here or call to get it fixed."

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 11:14:11 -0500
In article <p5hos0$8ra$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>  I don't use anything that
> Google have had their hands on.

you should disconnect from the internet and sell all of your computers.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 13:44:09 -0500
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| >  I don't use anything that
| > Google have had their hands on.
|
| you should disconnect from the internet and sell all of your computers.

  Interesting idea. You didn't know that there
were other things to do with computers besides
Google? Even an Apple devotee like yourself?
I guess Google/Doubleclick hegemony is worse
than I thought. :)

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 13:59:02 -0500
In article <p5i5q8$f0p$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | >  I don't use anything that
> | > Google have had their hands on.
> |
> | you should disconnect from the internet and sell all of your computers.
>
>   Interesting idea.

a very worthwhile one, given your extreme distrust of google and other
mega-corps.

>   You didn't know that there
> were other things to do with computers besides
> Google?

i did. you could play solitaire. win95 edition.

if you are on line at all, google will have their fingers in what
you're doing in ways you never even thought of, making it *very*
difficult to avoid all of it.

your only option is to disconnect entirely, which also keeps facebook
and other company's info of you at a minimum.

just think, with all that additional free time, you will be able to
cover your roof with tin foil. i heard it's on sale this week too.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 14:29:58 -0500
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| if you are on line at all, google will have their fingers in what
| you're doing in ways you never even thought of, making it *very*
| difficult to avoid all of it.

   Famous last words of the ostrich, before it
gets kicked in the ass while burying its head.
Ostriches always have a good rationalization
as to why lifting a finger is not only tiring but
actually useless.

  I won't try to explain how to avoid Google. It
does take a bit of effort. People who care to
can figure it out.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 15:09:37 -0500
In article <p5i8g5$46n$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | if you are on line at all, google will have their fingers in what
> | you're doing in ways you never even thought of, making it *very*
> | difficult to avoid all of it.
>
>    Famous last words of the ostrich, before it
> gets kicked in the ass while burying its head.
> Ostriches always have a good rationalization
> as to why lifting a finger is not only tiring but
> actually useless.

that would be you.

>   I won't try to explain how to avoid Google.

only because you don't want to embarrass yourself.

>   It
> does take a bit of effort. People who care to
> can figure it out.

no they can't, nor can they even if they do.

it's impossible to completely prevent google tracking without going
fully offline, and even then, google can (and does) gather information
on you in *other* ways.

for example:
<http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40027706>
  Announcing the service, Google said that it captures around 70% of
  credit and debit card transactions in the US.

you would need to pay cash for *everything* to avoid that, or hope that
you're always in the 30% that isn't captured.

google's entire business model is tracking and they have ways of doing
it in ways you can't even begin to imagine.

if you don't know how they're doing it, you can't even start to block
it.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 17:02:35 -0500
References: <fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com> <p5cipj$o45$1@dont-email.me> <fdu2vmFeuv1U1@mid.individual.net> <p5fpuv01e6s@news4.newsguy.com> <p5ft8h$8lv$1@dont-email.me> <p5gkju02fe7@news7.newsguy.com> <p5hos0$8ra$1@dont-email.me> <080220181114116368%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i5q8$f0p$1@dont-email.me> <080220181359029826%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i8g5$46n$1@dont-email.me> <080220181509373937%nospam@nospam.invalid>
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| it's impossible to completely prevent google tracking without going
| fully offline, and even then, google can (and does) gather information
| on you in *other* ways.
|
| for example:
| <http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40027706>
|  Announcing the service, Google said that it captures around 70% of
|  credit and debit card transactions in the US.

  Read your own link. If you're walking around
with a cellphone turned on then, yes, you're
being tracked. It's virtually a radio collar. If
you shop online you might be tracked. If you
don't add Google properties to your HOSTS file
you're being tracked on most webpages. Probably
at least 70%. and that's just Google.

This list is for use with Acrylic DNS proxy. (Free
software.) Normal HOSTS file doesn't accept
wildcards.

127.0.0.1 *.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 *.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1 *.googlecommerce.com
127.0.0.1 *.scorecardresearch.com
127.0.0.1 *.1e100.com
127.0.0.1 *.1e100.net
127.0.0.1 *.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 *.doubleclick.com
127.0.0.1 *.googletagservices.com
127.0.0.1 *.googletagmanager.com
127.0.0.1 *.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 fonts.googleapis.com
127.0.0.1 googleadapis.l.google.com
127.0.0.1 ssl.gstatic.com
127.0.0.1 plusone.google.com
127.0.0.1 cse.google.com
127.0.0.1 www.google.com/cse
127.0.0.1 www.youtube-nocookie.com
127.0.0.1 *.appspot.com

| you would need to pay cash for *everything* to avoid that, or hope that
| you're always in the 30% that isn't captured.

  No. Like I said, it does take a little bit
of effort. But yes, it's much easier, in a
sense, to just be lazy and tell everyone else
that's the only option. And an all-or-nothing
logic is also a clever trick to maintain laziness:
I can't stop it all, so why bother?

   I say it's easier in a sense because ignoring
reality is actually a very demanding, anxiety-
provoking pastime. Laziness is exhausting. If
you related to it instead then you wouldn't
feel compelled to constantly tell people
they're wrong because you wouldn't be trying
to hide from yourself.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 17:24:07 -0500
References: <fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com> <p5cipj$o45$1@dont-email.me> <fdu2vmFeuv1U1@mid.individual.net> <p5fpuv01e6s@news4.newsguy.com> <p5ft8h$8lv$1@dont-email.me> <p5gkju02fe7@news7.newsguy.com> <p5hos0$8ra$1@dont-email.me> <080220181114116368%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i5q8$f0p$1@dont-email.me> <080220181359029826%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i8g5$46n$1@dont-email.me> <080220181509373937%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5iheb$985$1@dont-email.me>
In article <p5iheb$985$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | it's impossible to completely prevent google tracking without going
> | fully offline, and even then, google can (and does) gather information
> | on you in *other* ways.
> |
> | for example:
> | <http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40027706>
> |  Announcing the service, Google said that it captures around 70% of
> |  credit and debit card transactions in the US.
>
>   Read your own link.

i did, as well as many others.

>   If you're walking around
> with a cellphone turned on then, yes, you're
> being tracked. It's virtually a radio collar.

not by google, unless it's an android phone.

> If you shop online you might be tracked.

online shopping is just one method of tracking.

the point of the article is that google is now tracking purchases made
*offline*, in ordinary brick&mortar stores, by capturing credit/debit
transactions.

> If you
> don't add Google properties to your HOSTS file
> you're being tracked on most webpages.

first of all, you don't know *all* of google's properties and second,
you have *no* control over what web sites you visit do.

> Probably
> at least 70%. and that's just Google.
>
> This list is for use with Acrylic DNS proxy. (Free
> software.) Normal HOSTS file doesn't accept
> wildcards.

which is why a hosts file is not an effective way to block everything.

a host file does have its use, but there are much better ways to block
stuff.

> | you would need to pay cash for *everything* to avoid that, or hope that
> | you're always in the 30% that isn't captured.
> |

>   No. Like I said, it does take a little bit
> of effort.

much more than a little bit.

> But yes, it's much easier, in a
> sense, to just be lazy and tell everyone else
> that's the only option. And an all-or-nothing
> logic is also a clever trick to maintain laziness:
> I can't stop it all, so why bother?

it's not about being lazy. it's that the amount of effort is *much*
more than you think it is.

no matter how hard you try, google, facebook, etc. are *better* at
extracting data than you are at blocking it.

if you leak *anything* (and you do), then you can be (and most
certainly are being) tracked.

you can pretend that your simple hosts file blocks everything, but it
doesn't. at best, it limits it, a little.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 18:39:42 -0500
References: <fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com> <p5cipj$o45$1@dont-email.me> <fdu2vmFeuv1U1@mid.individual.net> <p5fpuv01e6s@news4.newsguy.com> <p5ft8h$8lv$1@dont-email.me> <p5gkju02fe7@news7.newsguy.com> <p5hos0$8ra$1@dont-email.me> <080220181114116368%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i5q8$f0p$1@dont-email.me> <080220181359029826%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i8g5$46n$1@dont-email.me> <080220181509373937%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5iheb$985$1@dont-email.me> <080220181724078165%nospam@nospam.invalid>
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| >   If you're walking around
| > with a cellphone turned on then, yes, you're
| > being tracked. It's virtually a radio collar.
|
| not by google, unless it's an android phone.

  If you use Android it's Google's phone. If you
enable location tracking on an iPhone you're
being tracked. If you also enable Google
maps they're tracking you. If you use any Google
services, are logged in, and also enable location
services then you're probably being tracked. That's
what your link was talking about. How else do
you think they're following people into stores?

  In one way you're right: It's hard to deal with that
kind of thing because most phone apps make money
via spyware/targetted ads. They often require that
many functions be enabled, even if they don't really
need them. So if you turn off the tracking beacons
you might have to give up your restaurant recommendation
app. You might even have to learn to read maps. As
the cartoon hyena used to say, "Oh me. Oh my."
(Was that Hardee Har Har?)

| the point of the article is that google is now tracking purchases made
| *offline*, in ordinary brick&mortar stores, by capturing credit/debit
| transactions.

  That was one point. It's an interesting bit of news.
EPIC is asking the Feds to look into it. There seem to
be two possibilities: 1) Google is buying data from
credit card companies directly, perhaps illegally.
2) Google is bluffing, using their other vast data
store to make it look like they know everything and
thereby command high ad prices.

  The basic idea is that they want to be able to tell
Acme Mattress exactly how many mattresses they
sold directly as a result of their AdWords campaign.

  But even if Google is buying your credit history, it
doesn't tell them much if you block their tracking online,
don't use their products, and minimize the times you turn
on your phone, or at least disable as much location
tracking as possible. (Also a tricky thing to accomplish.
Even Firefox now has an option to track you. The prefs
geo.enabled and geo.wifi.logging.enabled deal with
letting websirtes know your location in mobile scenarios.)

  In other words, if you block tracking, even just to
the extent that it's not at all inconvenient, you leave
Google with very limited data. The fact that you bought
a TV with your credit card will give them no indication
of whether their ads were involved.

| first of all, you don't know *all* of google's properties and second,
| you have *no* control over what web sites you visit do.

   Of course I do. If you don't use a HOSTS file, enable
3rd-party files, and enable script, then yes, you have
no control. But this is just your same laziness argument:
I can't block 100% so I may as well just give up and
take a nap.

| no matter how hard you try, google, facebook, etc. are *better* at
| extracting data than you are at blocking it.

   Oh me. Oh my. I don't like how this is looking Lippy.
Let's just give up, huh? Oh, wait, I have Facebook in
my HOSTS file. So there's hope. :)

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 20:42:18 -0500
References: <fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com> <p5cipj$o45$1@dont-email.me> <fdu2vmFeuv1U1@mid.individual.net> <p5fpuv01e6s@news4.newsguy.com> <p5ft8h$8lv$1@dont-email.me> <p5gkju02fe7@news7.newsguy.com> <p5hos0$8ra$1@dont-email.me> <080220181114116368%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i5q8$f0p$1@dont-email.me> <080220181359029826%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i8g5$46n$1@dont-email.me> <080220181509373937%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5iheb$985$1@dont-email.me> <080220181724078165%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5in4a$1vth$1@gioia.aioe.org>
In article <p5in4a$1vth$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | >   If you're walking around
> | > with a cellphone turned on then, yes, you're
> | > being tracked. It's virtually a radio collar.
> |
> | not by google, unless it's an android phone.
>
>   If you use Android it's Google's phone.

nope. it's *your* phone, however, google is tracking you because that's
how google makes money.

that's very different from apple, who does not monetize their users and
goes well out of their way to protect user's privacy.

>   If you
> enable location tracking on an iPhone you're
> being tracked.

not by google, you aren't, nor apple for that matter.

> If you also enable Google
> maps they're tracking you.

google maps is an app, not something that's enabled, and it doesn't
necessarily track you in the way you think it does.

> If you use any Google
> services, are logged in, and also enable location
> services then you're probably being tracked.

that obviously helps, but is not required.

your rough location can be determined simply by ip address and the
browser you use can be fingerprinted.

they might not know your name (although they probably do), but they do
have enough data to uniquely identify you next time you come back.

> That's
> what your link was talking about. How else do
> you think they're following people into stores?

by capturing credit card data.

that's yet another advantage of using apple pay (versus android/google
pay). not only does the merchant *not* get the actual card number (they
get a virtual number), but more importantly, they don't get the
customer's name. all they see is 'valued customer' or similar.

some merchants may require a name to complete the transaction, such as
needing an address to deliver a large appliance, but that would need to
be provided even with cash.

>   In one way you're right: It's hard to deal with that
> kind of thing because most phone apps make money
> via spyware/targetted ads.

some do, some don't.

free apps are often ad supported, but there's usually an in-app
purchase to remove the ads, or there's a separate paid version of the
app, perhaps with additional features as well.

the user gets to choose.

further, on iphones, apps can only get a unique id, which can be reset
at any time by the user, for any reason. apple explicitly prohibits
apps from trying to obtain personally identifying information that the
user does *not* volunteer.

android is a lot easier to find out user info. *really* easy, actually.
and yes, that's exploited, a lot.

> They often require that
> many functions be enabled, even if they don't really
> need them. So if you turn off the tracking beacons
> you might have to give up your restaurant recommendation
> app. You might even have to learn to read maps. As
> the cartoon hyena used to say, "Oh me. Oh my."
> (Was that Hardee Har Har?)

apps may request various functions, but the user can say no.

sometimes it will make a difference and sometimes it won't.

for example, a restaurant recommendation app works best if it knows
exactly where you are, but you could always enter a zip code, which
could even be nearby instead of where you happen to be standing.

a camera app would be completely useless if it didn't have access to
the camera.

you're also mistakenly assuming that obtaining the user's current
location is the same as logging everywhere they go and uploading it
somewhere. it's not.

> | the point of the article is that google is now tracking purchases made
> | *offline*, in ordinary brick&mortar stores, by capturing credit/debit
> | transactions.
>
>   That was one point. It's an interesting bit of news.
> EPIC is asking the Feds to look into it. There seem to
> be two possibilities: 1) Google is buying data from
> credit card companies directly, perhaps illegally.
> 2) Google is bluffing, using their other vast data
> store to make it look like they know everything and
> thereby command high ad prices.

credit card companies are only too happy to sell your information.

not only do they know where you shop, but many times, specifically what
you bought.

>   The basic idea is that they want to be able to tell
> Acme Mattress exactly how many mattresses they
> sold directly as a result of their AdWords campaign.
>
>   But even if Google is buying your credit history, it
> doesn't tell them much if you block their tracking online,
> don't use their products, and minimize the times you turn
> on your phone, or at least disable as much location
> tracking as possible. (Also a tricky thing to accomplish.
> Even Firefox now has an option to track you. The prefs
> geo.enabled and geo.wifi.logging.enabled deal with
> letting websirtes know your location in mobile scenarios.)
>
>   In other words, if you block tracking, even just to
> the extent that it's not at all inconvenient, you leave
> Google with very limited data. The fact that you bought
> a TV with your credit card will give them no indication
> of whether their ads were involved.

limited data != no data.

all it takes is one little bit of data to link everything together, and
you can be *sure* that google has thought of all sorts of ways to do
exactly that, ways you have not thought of, which means you can't have
blocked it.

google definitely knows there are those who use ad blockers, tracking
blockers, disabling cookies, etc. do you think they just give up and
not bother with those people or do you think they try to find ways
around it?

> | first of all, you don't know *all* of google's properties and second,
> | you have *no* control over what web sites you visit do.
> |
>    Of course I do.

you might think you do, but you don't, and to both.

>    If you don't use a HOSTS file, enable
> 3rd-party files, and enable script, then yes, you have
> no control.

as i said, you don't know *all* of google's properties. you can only
block the ones you know, so while you may have a lengthy list in your
hosts file, you are still leaking data.

you also have *no* control over what web sites do with any data they
gather. google can (and almost certainly does) get all sorts of data
from the web site, not you.

> But this is just your same laziness argument:
> I can't block 100% so I may as well just give up and
> take a nap.

you're assuming that google is easily fooled and that you can outsmart
them.

not a good bet.

> | no matter how hard you try, google, facebook, etc. are *better* at
> | extracting data than you are at blocking it.
> |
>    Oh me. Oh my. I don't like how this is looking Lippy.
> Let's just give up, huh? Oh, wait, I have Facebook in
> my HOSTS file. So there's hope. :)

i didn't say give up.

i said it's for all intents not possible to block everything and that
it only takes a tiny leak to piece the entire puzzle together.

put another way, google isn't giving up trying to track you just
because you have a hosts file blocking them.

and it isn't just google. you are being tracked if you step outside
your house.

police are using alpr to scan license plates and are starting to use
facial recognition on surveillance video.

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/09/29/facial-recognition...
ted-5000-cctv-cameras-moscow/>
  Russia has fitted thousands of security cameras across Moscow with
  facial recognition technology that give police the ability to track
  criminals and terror suspects.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 22:32:46 -0500
References: <fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com> <p5cipj$o45$1@dont-email.me> <fdu2vmFeuv1U1@mid.individual.net> <p5fpuv01e6s@news4.newsguy.com> <p5ft8h$8lv$1@dont-email.me> <p5gkju02fe7@news7.newsguy.com> <p5hos0$8ra$1@dont-email.me> <080220181114116368%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i5q8$f0p$1@dont-email.me> <080220181359029826%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i8g5$46n$1@dont-email.me> <080220181509373937%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5iheb$985$1@dont-email.me> <080220181724078165%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5in4a$1vth$1@gioia.aioe.org> <080220182042181664%nospam@nospam.invalid>
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| i said it's for all intents not possible to block everything and that
| it only takes a tiny leak to piece the entire puzzle together.

  Another way to look at it: If naysayers like yourself
would just stop arguing and spend even a few minutes
dealing with the issue -- find a techie friend to set
you up with a HOSTS file and adjust your privacy
settings in software you use -- then the spyware
economy would collapse. You can easily reduce the
spying on yourself to a trickle.

  The spyware business model only works because
people like you can't be bothered to deal with the
control you have. It's not about having total privacy.
The point is just to not make it easy for companies
like Google to have a dossier on you for advertising.

  A HOSTS file and Firefox with NoScript would go a
very long way. If you don't know how to do that
then ask someone to help. (I recently set up my
ladyfriend with NoScript. I thought she'd complain,
but she actually understood the point immediately
and has no trouble deciding which script sources to
allow. Like most people, she was stunned to see how
many unfamiliar domains were running script in her
browser.)

   In addition to those steps, set cookies to delete
when the browser closes. Choose privacy settings in your
phone. It's not rocket science and it's not a lot of work.
If you don't have the patience for even that much then
the single best "bang for the buck" is to get a HOSTS
file. You can get one here:

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

  All you have to do is download it and put it in the
right folder. Most people can handle that much.

  Companies like Google get away with what they're
doing *only* because people like you want convenience
and can't be bothered to adjust even the most basic
things. Instead you'd rather make excuses.

  Anyway, do as you like. I'm not going to argue
anymore. It was worthwhile only insofar as it
might have provided some information useful
to others.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 23:14:07 -0500
References: <fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com> <p5cipj$o45$1@dont-email.me> <fdu2vmFeuv1U1@mid.individual.net> <p5fpuv01e6s@news4.newsguy.com> <p5ft8h$8lv$1@dont-email.me> <p5gkju02fe7@news7.newsguy.com> <p5hos0$8ra$1@dont-email.me> <080220181114116368%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i5q8$f0p$1@dont-email.me> <080220181359029826%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i8g5$46n$1@dont-email.me> <080220181509373937%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5iheb$985$1@dont-email.me> <080220181724078165%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5in4a$1vth$1@gioia.aioe.org> <080220182042181664%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5j4pd$hi1$1@dont-email.me>
In article <p5j4pd$hi1$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | i said it's for all intents not possible to block everything and that
> | it only takes a tiny leak to piece the entire puzzle together.
> |

>   Another way to look at it: If naysayers like yourself
> would just stop arguing and spend even a few minutes
> dealing with the issue -- find a techie friend to set
> you up with a HOSTS file and adjust your privacy
> settings in software you use -- then the spyware
> economy would collapse. You can easily reduce the
> spying on yourself to a trickle.

you need to get off your high horse.

not only do i have a hosts file, which is appropriate for blocking
*some* sites (not all), but i also use *far* more sophisticated and
easier to use tools that can automatically detect and block suspicious
sites on the fly. i also use more than one browser, configured from
very locked down to very (but not fully) open, depending on the site.

which *still* misses the point, in that you *can't* block everything
unless you go off the grid, and even then, you're still being tracked.

you *are* leaking data, far more than you realize and in ways you
haven't thought of, ones which google, facebook and others have known
for years.

for online, start here:
<https://panopticlick.eff.org>
<https://amiunique.org/fp>

>   The spyware business model only works because
> people like you can't be bothered to deal with the
> control you have. It's not about having total privacy.
> The point is just to not make it easy for companies
> like Google to have a dossier on you for advertising.

another one of your incorrect assumptions.

you have *no* idea what i do or don't do in regards to google or other
companies.

> Anyway, do as you like. I'm not going to argue
> anymore. It was worthwhile only insofar as it
> might have provided some information useful
> to others.

except you didn't.

all you did was demonstrate how little you know about the topic.

From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Full headers:
From: Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 20:21:33 -0800
References: <p5ft8h$8lv$1@dont-email.me> <p5gkju02fe7@news7.newsguy.com> <p5hos0$8ra$1@dont-email.me> <080220181114116368%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i5q8$f0p$1@dont-email.me> <080220181359029826%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i8g5$46n$1@dont-email.me> <080220181509373937%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5iheb$985$1@dont-email.me> <080220181724078165%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5in4a$1vth$1@gioia.aioe.org> <080220182042181664%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5j4pd$hi1$1@dont-email.me>
On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 22:32:46 -0500, "Mayayana"<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>  Companies like Google get away with what they're
>doing

What are they getting away with? What are they doing that damages me?

From: android <here@there.was>
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 07:51:45 +0100
References: <fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com> <p5cipj$o45$1@dont-email.me> <fdu2vmFeuv1U1@mid.individual.net> <p5fpuv01e6s@news4.newsguy.com> <p5ft8h$8lv$1@dont-email.me> <p5gkju02fe7@news7.newsguy.com> <p5hos0$8ra$1@dont-email.me> <080220181114116368%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i5q8$f0p$1@dont-email.me> <080220181359029826%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i8g5$46n$1@dont-email.me> <080220181509373937%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5iheb$985$1@dont-email.me> <080220181724078165%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5in4a$1vth$1@gioia.aioe.org> <080220182042181664%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5j4pd$hi1$1@dont-email.me> <1d8q7d9o5do4lkfpav6vkgid5cup83nm67@4ax.com>
On 2018-02-09 04:21:33 +0000, Bill W said:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 22:32:46 -0500, "Mayayana"
><mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>> Companies like Google get away with what they're
>> doing
>
> What are they getting away with? What are they doing that damages me?

You're a oatmeal kinda guy, right? :-))
--
teleportation kills

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 10:06:54 -0500
References: <p5ft8h$8lv$1@dont-email.me> <p5gkju02fe7@news7.newsguy.com> <p5hos0$8ra$1@dont-email.me> <080220181114116368%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i5q8$f0p$1@dont-email.me> <080220181359029826%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i8g5$46n$1@dont-email.me> <080220181509373937%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5iheb$985$1@dont-email.me> <080220181724078165%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5in4a$1vth$1@gioia.aioe.org> <080220182042181664%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5j4pd$hi1$1@dont-email.me> <1d8q7d9o5do4lkfpav6vkgid5cup83nm67@4ax.com>
"Bill W"<nothing@nowhere.com> wrote

| >  Companies like Google get away with what they're
| >doing
|
| What are they getting away with? What are they doing that damages me?

  That's up to you. I'm not going to be the scapegoat
for your ignorance. If you want to know, there's
enough info and links in this thread to find out. You
can decide for yourself after getting informed. If you
don't want to know then you can do that on your own
time. Don't ask me to help.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 10:55:42 -0500
References: <p5ft8h$8lv$1@dont-email.me> <p5gkju02fe7@news7.newsguy.com> <p5hos0$8ra$1@dont-email.me> <080220181114116368%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i5q8$f0p$1@dont-email.me> <080220181359029826%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i8g5$46n$1@dont-email.me> <080220181509373937%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5iheb$985$1@dont-email.me> <080220181724078165%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5in4a$1vth$1@gioia.aioe.org> <080220182042181664%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5j4pd$hi1$1@dont-email.me> <1d8q7d9o5do4lkfpav6vkgid5cup83nm67@4ax.com> <p5kdes$j6t$1@dont-email.me>
In article <p5kdes$j6t$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | >  Companies like Google get away with what they're
> | >doing
> |
> | What are they getting away with? What are they doing that damages me?
>
>   That's up to you. I'm not going to be the scapegoat
> for your ignorance. If you want to know, there's
> enough info and links in this thread to find out. You
> can decide for yourself after getting informed. If you
> don't want to know then you can do that on your own
> time. Don't ask me to help.

non-answer.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 13:25:15 -0500
On 2/8/2018 10:03 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "PeterN" <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote
>
> | I have had few issues with Win7. I have had password issues with the
> | Chrome browser, when I change passwords.
> |

>    I've never tried that. I don't use anything that
> Google have had their hands on. Too slimy. But
> watch out this week. There was a bug. I don't
> know if it's fixed yet. Sites are crashing/freezing
> Chrome by using a javascript bug to trick it
> into masive downloads. On the bright side it seems
> to be used as part of a scam rather than a direct
> attack. As in, "Bad guys have attacked your
> browser. Click here or call to get it fixed."

I always get a similar message if I use AOL web-mail. However the
message comes from AOL. I am weaning myself away from AOL, and giving
important people my new addy.

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 13:31:25 -0500
In article<p5i4mc0100f@news1.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

> I always get a similar message if I use AOL web-mail. However the
> message comes from AOL. I am weaning myself away from AOL, and giving
> important people my new addy.

the 1990s is calling you back.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 13:41:31 -0500
"PeterN" <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote

| > attack. As in, "Bad guys have attacked your
| > browser. Click here or call to get it fixed."
| >
| I always get a similar message if I use AOL web-mail. However the
| message comes from AOL.

  Well, I suppose AOL could be considered a kind of malware. :)

| I am weaning myself away from AOL, and giving
| important people my new addy.

  I have a brother who still uses AOL. Actually
I know a lot of people who still use it. It's
not as tacky as hotmail or yahoo. (How has a
company called "yahoo" lasted so long?) And
it's probably not as intrusive as gmail.

  Have you considered having your own domain?
It doesn't cost much and you can get dozens
of email addresses, with any name you like. You
don't have to be petern1234567abcd@gmail

From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Full headers:
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 01:23:05 -0500
On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 16:09:51 -0500, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

>On 2/6/2018 11:21 AM, android wrote:
>

><snip>
>
>> True, but who would volunteer to work for a company like Microsoft
>> without getting paid? If MS want work for free then they obviosly have
>> to make them Win 10 Home users use untested soft... And then just wait
>> for bugreports so that updates can be fixed before Win 10 Pro users
>> updates at their convenience.
>
>I have issues with Win 10 Pro, on my laptop. Yet some of my friends say
>they have no issues with Win 10.

The only problem I've had with Win 10 has been recent, and that's that
my Start menu disappears.  It's done it twice, but I followed the
steps I found on the web and solved the problem.  Hasn't happened
again.  There are enough webhits on this that is must be common
problem.

Really, just a temporary minor inconvenience.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

From: android <here@there.was>
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 07:32:01 +0100
On 2018-02-07 21:09:51 +0000, PeterN said:

> On 2/6/2018 11:21 AM, android wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
>> True, but who would volunteer to work for a company like Microsoft
>> without getting paid? If MS want work for free then they obviosly have
>> to make them Win 10 Home users use untested soft... And then just wait
>> for bugreports so that updates can be fixed before Win 10 Pro users
>> updates at their convenience.
>
> I have issues with Win 10 Pro, on my laptop. Yet some of my friends say
> they have no issues with Win 10.

The difference in updating is that with Pro you have a grace period of
six plus months to apply system updates and can thus do it then you
have a few days to spare...
--
teleportation kills

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 11:24:11 -0500
In article <p5cipj$o45$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>   But you also have to remember that you really
> shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
> You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
> can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
> decides to zap you with their next test version that
> corporate customers don't have to put up with.

nonsense.

>    That may seem snide, or anti-Win10, or
> anti-Microsoft, but it's actually just plain fact.

it's not remotely close to fact. it's complete bullshit.

> Win10 is not a stable system.

you don't run win10 so you're not in a position to comment.

win10 is actually very stable, much more than your beloved windows xp.

nothing is perfect and there will *always* be bugs, no matter what the
software is.

> System updates
> need to be carefully tested over time for
> compatibility.

then it's a good thing that's what happens.

microsoft deploys updates in a staggered fashion, first with insiders
who volunteer to test upcoming builds, then when it's stable, it's
released a subset of users known to have compatible hardware, and over
time, larger and larger groups of users so that any bumps along the way
can be quickly resolved before affecting users..

what they don't do is push untested updates to everyone.

> Corporate IT people do that before
> rolling out updates to their "fleet". Prior to Win10,
> even those tested updates were tested for months
> or years *before* the IT people got them.

eric is *not* corporate it.

nor are you.

> A Windows version or service pack was
> created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
> in version after version.... Only after months or
> even years of that was the final version released for
> IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
> works that way.

yes it does.

> You're getting largely untested
> updates that Microsoft forces down your throat
> when the mood hits them.

nonsense.

>   With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
> without getting paid for your trouble.

nonsense.

>   But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
> that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
> or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
> know where the problem is coming from.

it's clear where one problem is coming from.

you.

From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 13:43:29 -0500
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| >   But you also have to remember that you really
| > shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
| > You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
| > can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
| > decides to zap you with their next test version that
| > corporate customers don't have to put up with.
|
| nonsense.

  Indeed it is. That's the first intelligent use of
that word I've seen you use, even if you didn't
mean to. But I'll give you credit, anyway. :)

| > A Windows version or service pack was
| > created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
| > in version after version.... Only after months or
| > even years of that was the final version released for
| > IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
| > works that way.
|
| yes it does.

  As usual, you don't have the slightest idea what you're
talking about, but who cares, right? As long as you stick
to "nonsense", "bullshit" and "yes it does", it doesn't really
matter what you're talking about. Unfortunately, there
are people here who may be misled because they fall
for your authoritative airs.

"On average, a release took about three years from inception to completion
but only about six to nine months of that time was spent developing "new"
code. The rest of the time was spent in integration, testing, alpha and beta
periods - each lasting a few months."

That quote is from a former Microsoft manager:

https://blog.usejournal.com/what-really-happened-with-vista-an-insid...

   In other words, they'd work 6 months on, say, Win98.
Then they'd polish and test for 2 1/2 years. That was
Windows as a software platform. Windows 10 is "Windows
as a Service". From their point of view they're just posting
the latest service improvements and those just happen
to be running on your computer rather than on their server.

  Don't take my word for it. Look up Windows as
a service. The idea is that they want you to provide
salable personal data and buy stuff. If you want to
do real work you should be doing that on Win7. (Which
is why Win10 has only just caught up with Win7 in
usage, 2 1/2 years after its release and despite it
being forced on people for free.... Yes, forced. There
were many people who were very surprised when
they clicked some seemingly harmless message and
ended up with a Win10 computer by the time the
dust settled.)

  A look at Win10 version updates shows a fundamentally
different approach from the 3-year cycle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

  Major versions are being piped out every 6-9 months
while minor updates typically come out in the range
of 1 week to 1 month. That's the "service" idea. It's
not just monthly security patches. It's constant changes
to the product. But the problem is that it's not really
a service. A service would be something online that you
access with stable software on your computer. Windows
10, by contrast, is an unstable, constantly changing
product that's on your computer.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 14:27:43 -0500
In article <p5ct0v$b3i$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | >   But you also have to remember that you really
> | > shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
> | > You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
> | > can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
> | > decides to zap you with their next test version that
> | > corporate customers don't have to put up with.
> |
> | nonsense.
>
>   Indeed it is.

yep. it is, just like everything else you post.

>   That's the first intelligent use of
> that word I've seen you use, even if you didn't
> mean to. But I'll give you credit, anyway. :)

as well you should, however, you won't learn anything.

> | > A Windows version or service pack was
> | > created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
> | > in version after version.... Only after months or
> | > even years of that was the final version released for
> | > IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
> | > works that way.
> |
> | yes it does.
>
>   As usual, you don't have the slightest idea what you're
> talking about,

yes i most certainly do know what i'm talking about.

win10 works exactly the same way.

microsoft has been working on the next version of win10 (and the
version *after* that) for quite a while.

windows insiders have been using and testing it for several months. i
don't remember when it was first available but it was around when fcu
came out.

it's expected to be released in a month or two to the first wave of
users, with most users getting it in the weeks and months that follow.

microsoft staggers the release so that any problems are caught early
and affect the fewest number of people. most of it has been ironed out
with insider builds, but as with any software, there are always bugs
that slip through.

it people can defer it if they want.

it people are also not relevant to this discussion since eric, you or
any of the other regulars in this newsgroup are not it people. they are
using their own personal systems and should always be running the most
up to date versions, if for no other reason, security.

> but who cares, right? As long as you stick
> to "nonsense", "bullshit" and "yes it does", it doesn't really
> matter what you're talking about. Unfortunately, there
> are people here who may be misled because they fall
> for your authoritative airs.

unfortunately, you continue to spew about windows 10 even though you
don't actually use it.

> "On average, a release took about three years from inception to completion
> but only about six to nine months of that time was spent developing "new"
> code. The rest of the time was spent in integration, testing, alpha and beta
> periods - each lasting a few months."
>
> That quote is from a former Microsoft manager:
>
> https://blog.usejournal.com/what-really-happened-with-vista-an-insid...
> pective-f713ee77c239?gi=38e71fdf876

you skipped the first sentence in that paragraph, intentionally
misleading readers.

here it is in its *entirety* :
  By far the biggest problem with Windows releases, in my humble
  opinion, was the length of each release. On average, a release took

From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 16:06:06 -0500
On 2/6/2018 10:48 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "Eric Stevens"<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote
>
> |   Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
> |
> |   A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
> |   Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
> |   available.
> |

>     You might find something out if there's a button
> for "Details". I have Visual Studio installed, which
> also gives me the option to debug the CPU instructions!
> But it's rare that you'll learn anything helpful from
> all that. Sometimes if it tells you a DLL that crashed
> then that might tell you something.
>
>    What you're seeing is just a PR wrapper around
> a program crash. The program crashed. Microsoft
> is making it look like they've got everything under
> control: "Don't worry. We're on it." It used to be that
> it just crashed. Now Microsoft design it to make
> you think there's an army of people in lab coats
> standing by to examine the problem and fix it....
> And that's why Win10 *must* be spyware. For
> your own good.
>
>     So why did the program crash? Maybe it's an Adobe
> bug. Maybe it's an incompatible printer driver. Maybe
> it's something seemingly unrelated, like a font mixup
> or graphics problem. All you can do is to search and
> see if someone has figured it out. (And watch out
> for false information. There are a lot of people who
> stop getting a rash after drinking a Coke and then
> jump to the conclusion that Coke cures rashes.)
>
>    But you also have to remember that you really
> shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
> You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
> can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
> decides to zap you with their next test version that
> corporate customers don't have to put up with.
>
>     That may seem snide, or anti-Win10, or
> anti-Microsoft, but it's actually just plain fact.
> Win10 is not a stable system. System updates
> need to be carefully tested over time for
> compatibility. Corporate IT people do that before
> rolling out updates to their "fleet". Prior to Win10,
> even those tested updates were tested for months
> or years *before* the IT people got them. A
> Windows version or service pack was
> created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
> in version after version.... Only after months or
> even years of that was the final version released for
> IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
> works that way. You're getting largely untested
> updates that Microsoft forces down your throat
> when the mood hits them.
>
>    With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
> without getting paid for your trouble.
>
>    But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
> that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
> or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
> know where the problem is coming from.

I use Win 7 on my desktop, for that very reason. I have Win10 on my
laptop, and it seems to be frequently getting updates, some of which
keep forcing me to change settings.

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2018 16:32:26 -0500
In article<p5fpnt01e4h@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

> I use Win 7 on my desktop, for that very reason. I have Win10 on my
> laptop, and it seems to be frequently getting updates, some of which
> keep forcing me to change settings.

which ones?

although updates are way too frequent, your settings shouldn't be
changing.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 23:45:13 -0500
On 2/7/2018 4:32 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article<p5fpnt01e4h@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:
>

>> I use Win 7 on my desktop, for that very reason. I have Win10 on my
>> laptop, and it seems to be frequently getting updates, some of which
>> keep forcing me to change settings.
>
> which ones?
>
> although updates are way too frequent, your settings shouldn't be
> changing.

Win 10 Pro. J agree with you. I will take it in to the Windows store
when I feel like it.

--
PeterN

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:57:03 -0500
On 2/5/2018 10:05 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
> When I select Print it brings up the appropriate screen identifying
> the printer and the paper size and then a notice pops up which says
> something like:
>
>     Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
>
>     A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
>     Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
>     available.
>
> As far as I know all my software is up to date. Is this just my
> problem or have other people also experienced it?
>
> W10 of course.

Call Adobe support. it comes with the package. The last time i had an
issue, I I used them, and they remotely found and fixed the problem.

--
PeterN

From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 11:34:18 +1300
On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:57:03 -0500, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

>On 2/5/2018 10:05 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
>> My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
>> When I select Print it brings up the appropriate screen identifying
>> the printer and the paper size and then a notice pops up which says
>> something like:
>>
>>     Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
>>
>>     A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
>>     Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
>>     available.
>>
>> As far as I know all my software is up to date. Is this just my
>> problem or have other people also experienced it?
>>
>> W10 of course.
>>

>Call Adobe support. it comes with the package. The last time i had an
>issue, I I used them, and they remotely found and fixed the problem.

I'm now doing that but haven't got to the remote connection as yet.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens