> Prev
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Subject: A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windows without installing anything on either
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 21:07:59 -0800
I just accidentally ran into this very simple way to transfer photos from
your phone to Windows (and back) without installing anything on either

1. I gave a few $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus phablets as gifts over Christmas and
as a direct result I inherited a handful of new-to-me older Android phones,
even though my main phone is a circa 2012 S3 which works just fine for me
but which I mount on Windows to use in the native Windows file explorer
using the Windows "Add a network location" wizard.

2. One of that handful of old phones is a circa 2014 Moto G, running
Android 5.1, which I just plugged into Windows where I was surprised the
phone immediately showed up as its own "XT104" USB drive.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/1xt104_a.jpg

3. Clicking on that drive shows the entire available file system mount
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/2xt104b.jpg

4. That allows two way drag and drop between Windows and the phone
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/3xt104c.jpg

5. Plugging it in again, I noticed an option pops up for something called
"Photos", which, seems to search the Android phone for photos to upload.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/4xt104d.jpg

6. That native "Photos" app then provides thumbnails to select which photos
to upload to previously defined directories and file name conversions on
Windows.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/5xt104e.jpg

7. The result is that, without installing anything on either the phone or
on Windows, it seems I can import anything I like using this Photos native
app.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/6xt104f.jpg

Generally I don't use Windows native apps (because they generally suck),
but this one doesn't seem to show any obvious drawbacks yet.

So I simply present this as a working system, that just works without
installing anything on either the phone or Windows, and ask if you know of
a better method of bi-directional drag and drop between your phone &
Windows?

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windows
without installing anything on either
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 08:11:07 -0500
On 2/22/2018 12:07 AM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
> I just accidentally ran into this very simple way to transfer photos from
> your phone to Windows (and back) without installing anything on either
>
> 1. I gave a few $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus phablets as gifts over Christmas and
> as a direct result I inherited a handful of new-to-me older Android phones,
> even though my main phone is a circa 2012 S3 which works just fine for me
> but which I mount on Windows to use in the native Windows file explorer
> using the Windows "Add a network location" wizard.
>
> 2. One of that handful of old phones is a circa 2014 Moto G, running
> Android 5.1, which I just plugged into Windows where I was surprised the
> phone immediately showed up as its own "XT104" USB drive.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/1xt104_a.jpg
>
> 3. Clicking on that drive shows the entire available file system mount
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/2xt104b.jpg
>
> 4. That allows two way drag and drop between Windows and the phone
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/3xt104c.jpg
>
> 5. Plugging it in again, I noticed an option pops up for something called
> "Photos", which, seems to search the Android phone for photos to upload.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/4xt104d.jpg
>
> 6. That native "Photos" app then provides thumbnails to select which photos
> to upload to previously defined directories and file name conversions on
> Windows.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/5xt104e.jpg
>
> 7. The result is that, without installing anything on either the phone or
> on Windows, it seems I can import anything I like using this Photos native
> app.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/6xt104f.jpg
>
> Generally I don't use Windows native apps (because they generally suck),
> but this one doesn't seem to show any obvious drawbacks yet.
>
> So I simply present this as a working system, that just works without
> installing anything on either the phone or Windows, and ask if you know of
> a better method of bi-directional drag and drop between your phone &
> Windows?

Yep. That works, I am not sure about iPhones though. i had iTunes
installed on my computers. So I don't know it that also works with
iPhones.

--
PeterN

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 06:39:53 -0800
PeterN <peter,newdelete@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

> Yep. That works, I am not sure about iPhones though. i had iTunes
> installed on my computers. So I don't know it that also works with
> iPhones.

When I plug an arbitrary iOS iPad into an arbitrary Linux desktop (Ubuntu
16.04), the file system (that is available to the user) is "mounted" after
a bunch of needlessly repeated "Do you trust this computer" requests on the
iPad, but when I plug those same iPads into an arbitrary Windows 10 desktop
(without iTunes), nothing useful happens.

Why does that work beautifully on Linux, and not at all on Windows?

I don't know, so if someone can answer that basic question, it would be
helfpul for us all.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
without installing anything on either
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 14:55:44 -0500
On 2/22/2018 9:39 AM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
> PeterN <peter,newdelete@deleteverizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Yep. That works, I am not sure about iPhones though. i had iTunes
>> installed on my computers. So I don't know it that also works with
>> iPhones.
>
> When I plug an arbitrary iOS iPad into an arbitrary Linux desktop (Ubuntu
> 16.04), the file system (that is available to the user) is "mounted" after
> a bunch of needlessly repeated "Do you trust this computer" requests on the
> iPad, but when I plug those same iPads into an arbitrary Windows 10 desktop
> (without iTunes), nothing useful happens.
>
> Why does that work beautifully on Linux, and not at all on Windows?
>
> I don't know, so if someone can answer that basic question, it would be
> helfpul for us all.

You need to install iTunes for Windows. It's a free DL from Apple. IIRC
iOS and Linux have a common ancestor. Unix.

--
PeterN

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 14:59:08 -0500
In article<p6n6pl01b78@news7.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

> On 2/22/2018 9:39 AM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
> > When I plug an arbitrary iOS iPad into an arbitrary Linux desktop (Ubuntu
> > 16.04), the file system (that is available to the user) is "mounted" after
> > a bunch of needlessly repeated "Do you trust this computer" requests on the
> > iPad, but when I plug those same iPads into an arbitrary Windows 10 desktop
> > (without iTunes), nothing useful happens.
> >
> > Why does that work beautifully on Linux, and not at all on Windows?
> >
> > I don't know, so if someone can answer that basic question, it would be
> > helfpul for us all.
> >
> You need to install iTunes for Windows. It's a free DL from Apple.

he has an abnormal hatred for itunes, even though it's not required.

> IIRC
> iOS and Linux have a common ancestor. Unix.

only the core of ios is unix.

From: Zaidy036 <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam>
From: Zaidy036 <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to
Windows without installing anything on either
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 06:32:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WGqIkPy3jw73c/jhWsE41+55egA=
PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:
> On 2/22/2018 12:07 AM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
>> I just accidentally ran into this very simple way to transfer photos from
>> your phone to Windows (and back) without installing anything on either
>>
>> 1. I gave a few $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus phablets as gifts over Christmas and
>> as a direct result I inherited a handful of new-to-me older Android phones,
>> even though my main phone is a circa 2012 S3 which works just fine for me
>> but which I mount on Windows to use in the native Windows file explorer
>> using the Windows "Add a network location" wizard.
>>
>> 2. One of that handful of old phones is a circa 2014 Moto G, running
>> Android 5.1, which I just plugged into Windows where I was surprised the
>> phone immediately showed up as its own "XT104" USB drive.
>> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/1xt104_a.jpg
>>
>> 3. Clicking on that drive shows the entire available file system mount
>> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/2xt104b.jpg
>>
>> 4. That allows two way drag and drop between Windows and the phone
>> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/3xt104c.jpg
>>
>> 5. Plugging it in again, I noticed an option pops up for something called
>> "Photos", which, seems to search the Android phone for photos to upload.
>> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/4xt104d.jpg
>>
>> 6. That native "Photos" app then provides thumbnails to select which photos
>> to upload to previously defined directories and file name conversions on
>> Windows.
>> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/5xt104e.jpg
>>
>> 7. The result is that, without installing anything on either the phone or
>> on Windows, it seems I can import anything I like using this Photos native
>> app.
>> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/6xt104f.jpg
>>
>> Generally I don't use Windows native apps (because they generally suck),
>> but this one doesn't seem to show any obvious drawbacks yet.
>>
>> So I simply present this as a working system, that just works without
>> installing anything on either the phone or Windows, and ask if you know of
>> a better method of bi-directional drag and drop between your phone &
>> Windows?
>>

> Yep. That works, I am not sure about iPhones though. i had iTunes
> installed on my computers. So I don't know it that also works with
> iPhones.

Use “AirDrop” for iPhone photo transfer

--
Zaidy036

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 00:55:42 -0800

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 00:57:34 -0800

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 09:23:50 -0500
In article <1c9w8k4zj6zx.1gx89wbj8m6wv$.dlg@40tude.net>, ultred
ragnusen<ultred@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> Except that this so-called AirDrop (which was bought from Android
> developers)

once again, you do not understand what airdrop actually is. only the
*name* was bought, not the underlying technology, which android
recently added under a different name and it doesn't do anywhere near
as much.

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 06:47:23 -0800
nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> Except that this so-called AirDrop (which was bought from Android
>> developers)
>
> once again, you do not understand what airdrop actually is. only the
> *name* was bought, not the underlying technology, which android
> recently added under a different name and it doesn't do anywhere near
> as much.

As usual, you don't comprehend my words, as you are very well aware that
I've searched extensively in the past /exactly/ what the word "AirDrop"
meant to the Android developers and to Apple, and where I've said /many
times/ that it's a meaningless trademarked bought-and-paid-for word that
can and does mean anything the owners want it to mean.

In the past, the meaningless word "AirDrop" stood for an assemblage of
Android marketing services, while Apple legal says specifically that it
stands for their particular assemblage of "ad hoc file transfer services".

We've had this discussion so many times that I know you're just arguing for
arguments sake, since you know full well all of this, since I've told you
very many times that the word "AirDrop" is a meaningless brand name that
Apple bought from Android developers which Apple can use to mean anything
they want it to mean (which is the nature of trademarks).

I've also pointed you to the web pages where Apple specifically states that
any third party (which includes us) legally should /always/ use the
descriptor provided (of ad hoc file transfer services) the first time in
any document that the name "AirDrop" is used, since only Apple, legally, is
allowed to just use the word all by itself.

You know all this ... so you're just playing your silly games, again.

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 09:50:18 -0500
In article <1vggtznv8eefh.wrzncjz1wss5$.dlg@40tude.net>, ultred
ragnusen<ultred@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> >> Except that this so-called AirDrop (which was bought from Android
> >> developers)
> >
> > once again, you do not understand what airdrop actually is. only the
> > *name* was bought, not the underlying technology, which android
> > recently added under a different name and it doesn't do anywhere near
> > as much.
>
> As usual, you don't comprehend my words,

other way around. you don't comprehend what others tell you.

> as you are very well aware that
> I've searched extensively in the past /exactly/ what the word "AirDrop"
> meant to the Android developers and to Apple,

you only searched on the word. you have *zero* understanding about the
underlying technology (and not much more than that about the word).

> You know all this ... so you're just playing your silly games, again.

that would be you.

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 07:11:19 -0800
nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> You know all this ... so you're just playing your silly games, again.
>
> that would be you.

Pot, kettle, black.

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
From: "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 13:43:13 +0000
In message <11idmlb0drad.ruxcmauj9dq1$.dlg@40tude.net>, ultred ragnusen<ultred@ragnusen.com> writes:
>nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> You know all this ... so you're just playing your silly games, again.
>>
>> that would be you.
>
>Pot, kettle, black.

This can mean that the pot is as bad as the kettle - but doesn't mean
the kettle is clean!

Or in other words: just because the accuser may be equally guilty,
doesn't mean an accusation isn't a valid one. "Two wrongs don't make a
right" as they say.

A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd like a pint
of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman, "that'll be
ATP." (Quoted in) The Independent, 2013-7-13

From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Full headers:
without installing anything on either
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 09:51:47 -0500
On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd like
> a pint
> of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman,
> "that'll be
> ATP."

Exceptionally clever.

--
“The less the prudence with which others conduct their affairs,
  the greater the prudence with which we must conduct our own.”

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
Full headers:
From: "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 20:35:09 +0000
In message<x-OdnYNI24ceKwfHnZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>, Alan Browne<bitbucket@blackhole.com> writes:
>On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>  A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd
>>like  a pint
>> of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman,
>>"that'll be
>> ATP."
>
>Exceptionally clever.

(Would have emailed but your signature doesn't say how to demunge your
address:) yes, I thought so! I certainly didn't create it: it was from a
list of something like 100 best jokes, or 20 best puns, or something, in
the Independent (a British newspaper) some years ago.

Probably lost on non-UK readers though (-:

[What's your guilty pleasure?] Why should you feel guilty about pleasure? -
Michel Roux Jr in Radio Times 2-8 February 2013

From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Full headers:
without installing anything on either
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 16:18:29 -0500
On 2018-03-03 15:35, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message<x-OdnYNI24ceKwfHnZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>, Alan Browne
><bitbucket@blackhole.com> writes:
>> On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>>  A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd
>>> like  a pint
>>> of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman,
>>> "that'll be
>>> ATP."
>>
>> Exceptionally clever.
>>
> (Would have emailed but your signature doesn't say how to demunge your
> address:) yes, I thought so! I certainly didn't create it: it was from a
> list of something like 100 best jokes, or 20 best puns, or something, in
> the Independent (a British newspaper) some years ago.
>
> Probably lost on non-UK readers though (-:

I got the "eighty p." easily enough.  I had to look up the substance to
find the clever bit.

From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windows without
installing anything on either
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2018 17:18:17 -0500
References: <1pat6bvdosd5h$.1v0zueckye1z0$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6mf310qql@news7.newsguy.com> <p786pc$ste$1@dont-email.me> <1c9w8k4zj6zx.1gx89wbj8m6wv$.dlg@40tude.net> <010320180923501589%nospam@nospam.invalid> <1vggtznv8eefh.wrzncjz1wss5$.dlg@40tude.net> <010320180950186847%nospam@nospam.invalid> <11idmlb0drad.ruxcmauj9dq1$.dlg@40tude.net> <JjYeXeLxZqmaFwhE@255soft.uk> <x-OdnYNI24ceKwfHnZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <1+bBgmU9bwmaFwH5@255soft.uk> <z_ydnQLYGoq7jAbHnZ2dnUU7-UednZ2d@giganews.com>
Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2018-03-03 15:35, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message<x-OdnYNI24ceKwfHnZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>, Alan
>> Browne<bitbucket@blackhole.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Exceptionally clever.
>>>
>> (Would have emailed but your signature doesn't say how to demunge your
>> address:) yes, I thought so! I certainly didn't create it: it was from
>> a list of something like 100 best jokes, or 20 best puns, or
>> something, in the Independent (a British newspaper) some years ago.
>>
>> Probably lost on non-UK readers though (-:
>
> I got the "eighty p." easily enough.  I had to look up the substance to
> find the clever bit.

A little Google gets the process rolling...

   "bioluminescence-for-beverages
    ... Since ATP is a proxy for how much bacteria is present
   "

That's not how you make beer of course :-)

That suggests the biochemist is aware that a beer would
be rich in ATP, as it's a marker of some sort of "activity" (fermentation???).

https://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/yeast-fermentation-and-the...

    "ATP is a versatile molecule used by enzymes and other proteins
     in many cellular processes. It is required for many chemical reactions,
     such as sugar degradation and fermentation (Voet & Voet 2004)"

It suggests the biochemist has been in the lab too long,
and needs a break :-)

    Paul

From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Full headers:
without installing anything on either
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 16:39:53 -0500
On 2018-03-03 17:18, Paul wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2018-03-03 15:35, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

>>> (Would have emailed but your signature doesn't say how to demunge
>>> your address:) yes, I thought so! I certainly didn't create it: it
>>> was from a list of something like 100 best jokes, or 20 best puns, or
>>> something, in the Independent (a British newspaper) some years ago.
>>>
>>> Probably lost on non-UK readers though (-:
>>
>> I got the "eighty p." easily enough.  I had to look up the substance
>> to find the clever bit.
>>

> A little Google gets the process rolling...
>
>    "bioluminescence-for-beverages
>     ... Since ATP is a proxy for how much bacteria is present
>    "
>
> That's not how you make beer of course :-)
>
> That suggests the biochemist is aware that a beer would
> be rich in ATP, as it's a marker of some sort of "activity"
> (fermentation???).

<snipped>

You haven't come even close to the clever bit.

From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
without installing anything on either
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 15:20:05 -0500
On 3/3/2018 3:35 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message<x-OdnYNI24ceKwfHnZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>, Alan Browne
><bitbucket@blackhole.com> writes:
>> On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>>  A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd
>>> like  a pint
>>> of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman,
>>> "that'll be
>>> ATP."
>>
>> Exceptionally clever.
>>
> (Would have emailed but your signature doesn't say how to demunge your
> address:) yes, I thought so! I certainly didn't create it: it was from a
> list of something like 100 best jokes, or 20 best puns, or something, in
> the Independent (a British newspaper) some years ago.
>
> Probably lost on non-UK readers though (-:

Not if they were involved in healthcare. ;-)
I was not a healthcare provider, but had many clients who were.

--
PeterN

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
Full headers:
From: "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 21:33:21 +0000

From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Full headers:
without installing anything on either
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 16:50:28 -0500
On 2018-03-05 16:33, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message<p7hkdl0mi2@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> writes:
>> On 3/3/2018 3:35 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

>>> (Would have emailed but your signature doesn't say how to demunge
>>> your  address:) yes, I thought so! I certainly didn't create it: it
>>> was from a  list of something like 100 best jokes, or 20 best puns,
>>> or something, in  the Independent (a British newspaper) some years ago.
>>>  Probably lost on non-UK readers though (-:
>>
>> Not if they were involved in healthcare. ;-)
>> I was not a healthcare provider, but had many clients who were.
>>
> It wasn't the ATP aspect I thought might not be obvious outside the UK,
> it was the 80p aspect.

.... which still isn't the "clever" bit...

From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
without installing anything on either
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 20:27:07 -0500
On 3/5/2018 4:33 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message<p7hkdl0mi2@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> writes:
>> On 3/3/2018 3:35 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

>>> (Would have emailed but your signature doesn't say how to demunge
>>> your  address:) yes, I thought so! I certainly didn't create it: it
>>> was from a  list of something like 100 best jokes, or 20 best puns,
>>> or something, in  the Independent (a British newspaper) some years ago.
>>>  Probably lost on non-UK readers though (-:
>>
>> Not if they were involved in healthcare. ;-)
>> I was not a healthcare provider, but had many clients who were.
>>
> It wasn't the ATP aspect I thought might not be obvious outside the UK,
> it was the 80p aspect.
>
> Though I should amend it to "some" adenosine; I suspect it's a _long_
> time since 80p would get you a pint of _anything_ from a barman.

I took the comment as a pun.

--
PeterN

From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Full headers:
without installing anything on either
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
<p7hkdl0mi2@news4.newsguy.com> <aUtqKPShebnaFwZl@255soft.uk>
<p7kqpb01j2@news2.newsguy.com>
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 08:28:57 -0500
On 2018-03-05 20:27, PeterN wrote:
> On 3/5/2018 4:33 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message<p7hkdl0mi2@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
>> <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> writes:

>>> Not if they were involved in healthcare. ;-)
>>> I was not a healthcare provider, but had many clients who were.
>>>
>> It wasn't the ATP aspect I thought might not be obvious outside the
>> UK, it was the 80p aspect.
>>
>> Though I should amend it to "some" adenosine; I suspect it's a _long_
>> time since 80p would get you a pint of _anything_ from a barman.
>
> I took the comment as a pun.

It's actually a very clever joke - the 80 p. pun only scratched the surface.

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
From: "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 15:05:22 +0000
<Xu6dnSPVYukECgPHnZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@giganews.com>

From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
without installing anything on either
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 12:58:24 -0500
<Xu6dnSPVYukECgPHnZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@giganews.com> <260iK6Yy4qnaFwOJ@255soft.uk>
On 2018.03.06 10:05, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message<Xu6dnSPVYukECgPHnZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@giganews.com>, Alan Browne
><bitbucket@blackhole.com> writes:

>>>  I took the comment as a pun.
>>
>> It's actually a very clever joke - the 80 p. pun only scratched the
>> surface.
>>
> I realise humour is usually spoilt by explanation, but please explain
> anyway: I couldn't see beyond the 80p.

I was going to wait another 24 hours or so...

To a biochemist it goes further if one looks into the role that ATP
plays in living cells:

It is often referred to as the "molecular unit of currency" of
intracellular energy transfer.

That is the clever bit that turns the pun into a fine joke ... ATP as
currency.  80 p. worth in this case.

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate

When you posted that sig, knowing that engineers and scientists always
have their inside humour I thought it best to know more about ATP.

Wikipedia is always a good source for such.

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
Full headers:
From: "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 18:46:14 +0000
<p7mks2$3k6$1@dont-email.me>
In message <p7mks2$3k6$1@dont-email.me>, Alan Browne<alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> writes:
>On 2018.03.06 10:05, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message<Xu6dnSPVYukECgPHnZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@giganews.com>, Alan Browne
>><bitbucket@blackhole.com> writes:

>>> It's actually a very clever joke - the 80 p. pun only scratched the
>>> surface.
>>>
>> I realise humour is usually spoilt by explanation, but please explain
>> anyway: I couldn't see beyond the 80p.
>
>I was going to wait another 24 hours or so...
>
>To a biochemist it goes further if one looks into the role that ATP
>plays in living cells:
>
>It is often referred to as the "molecular unit of currency" of
>intracellular energy transfer.
>
>That is the clever bit that turns the pun into a fine joke ... ATP as
>currency.  80 p. worth in this case.
>
>ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate
>
>When you posted that sig, knowing that engineers and scientists always
>have their inside humour I thought it best to know more about ATP.
>
>Wikipedia is always a good source for such.

Thanks. I knew - from my O level biology about 40 years ago! - that ATP
is basically what makes muscles work, turning it into ADP. (I may have
remembered some of this wrong.) I didn't know the "currency" nickname
for it though: that's maybe been added since then.

No, I haven't changed my mind - I'm perfectly happy with the one I have, thank
you.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
without installing anything on either
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 00:00:13 -0500

From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
without installing anything on either
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 12:38:26 -0500
<p7mks2$3k6$1@dont-email.me> <p7nrku02mu7@news1.newsguy.com>
On 2018.03.07 00:00, PeterN wrote:
> On 3/6/2018 12:58 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2018.03.06 10:05, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

>>> I realise humour is usually spoilt by explanation, but please explain
>>> anyway: I couldn't see beyond the 80p.
>>
>> I was going to wait another 24 hours or so...
>>
>> To a biochemist it goes further if one looks into the role that ATP
>> plays in living cells:
>>
>> It is often referred to as the "molecular unit of currency" of
>> intracellular energy transfer.
>>
>> That is the clever bit that turns the pun into a fine joke ... ATP as
>> currency.  80 p. worth in this case.
>>
>> ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate
>>
>> When you posted that sig, knowing that engineers and scientists always
>> have their inside humour I thought it best to know more about ATP.
>>
>> Wikipedia is always a good source for such.
>
> Just a bit of explanation. Last December my wife passed from large cell
> lymphoma.

You have my sympathies.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
without installing anything on either
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 13:33:09 -0500
<p7p82i$42d$1@dont-email.me>

From: John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
From: John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
without installing anything on either
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 17:10:30 -0600
<p6mf310qql@news7.newsguy.com> <p786pc$ste$1@dont-email.me>
<1c9w8k4zj6zx.1gx89wbj8m6wv$.dlg@40tude.net>
<010320180923501589%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<1vggtznv8eefh.wrzncjz1wss5$.dlg@40tude.net>
<010320180950186847%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<11idmlb0drad.ruxcmauj9dq1$.dlg@40tude.net> <JjYeXeLxZqmaFwhE@255soft.uk>
<x-OdnYNI24ceKwfHnZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <1+bBgmU9bwmaFwH5@255soft.uk>
<p7hkdl0mi2@news4.newsguy.com> <aUtqKPShebnaFwZl@255soft.uk>
<p7kqpb01j2@news2.newsguy.com>
<Xu6dnSPVYukECgPHnZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@giganews.com> <260iK6Yy4qnaFwOJ@255soft.uk>
<p7mks2$3k6$1@dont-email.me> <p7nrku02mu7@news1.newsguy.com>
On 3/6/2018 11:00 PM, PeterN wrote:

<heavily edited for brevity>

> Just a bit of explanation. Last December my wife passed from large cell
> lymphoma. Recently,m clinical trials were solicited using ATP to induce
> remission of that type of lymphoma.

I'm very sorry to learn that, Peter.

---
http://www.avg.com

From: John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
From: John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
without installing anything on either
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 17:14:19 -0600
<p6mf310qql@news7.newsguy.com> <p786pc$ste$1@dont-email.me>
<1c9w8k4zj6zx.1gx89wbj8m6wv$.dlg@40tude.net>
<010320180923501589%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<1vggtznv8eefh.wrzncjz1wss5$.dlg@40tude.net>
<010320180950186847%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<11idmlb0drad.ruxcmauj9dq1$.dlg@40tude.net> <JjYeXeLxZqmaFwhE@255soft.uk>
<x-OdnYNI24ceKwfHnZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <1+bBgmU9bwmaFwH5@255soft.uk>
<p7hkdl0mi2@news4.newsguy.com> <aUtqKPShebnaFwZl@255soft.uk>
<p7kqpb01j2@news2.newsguy.com>
<Xu6dnSPVYukECgPHnZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@giganews.com> <260iK6Yy4qnaFwOJ@255soft.uk>
<p7mks2$3k6$1@dont-email.me> <p7nrku02mu7@news1.newsguy.com>
On 3/6/2018 11:00 PM, PeterN wrote:

> Just a bit of explanation. Last December my wife passed from large cell
> lymphoma. Recently,m clinical trials were solicited using ATP to induce
> remission of that type of lymphoma.

I'm very sorry to hear that, Peter.

John

---
http://www.avg.com

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
without installing anything on either
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 20:24:26 -0500
<p7pro7$lia$2@dont-email.me>
On 3/7/2018 6:14 PM, John Turco wrote:
> On 3/6/2018 11:00 PM, PeterN wrote:
>
>> Just a bit of explanation. Last December my wife passed from large
>> cell lymphoma. Recently,m clinical trials were solicited using ATP to
>> induce remission of that type of lymphoma.
>

> I'm very sorry to hear that, Peter.
>
> John
>

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Thank you

--
PeterN

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
without installing anything on either
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 23:54:17 -0500
On 3/6/2018 8:28 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2018-03-05 20:27, PeterN wrote:
>> On 3/5/2018 4:33 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

>>> It wasn't the ATP aspect I thought might not be obvious outside the
>>> UK, it was the 80p aspect.
>>>
>>> Though I should amend it to "some" adenosine; I suspect it's a _long_
>>> time since 80p would get you a pint of _anything_ from a barman.
>>
>> I took the comment as a pun.
>
> It's actually a very clever joke - the 80 p. pun only scratched the
> surface.

Yep! Unfortunately, I learned the "humor" the hard way. But I still
appreciate it.

--
PeterN

From: Ragnusen Ultred <rragnusen@ultred.com>
From: Ragnusen Ultred <rragnusen@ultred.com>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 06:00:40 -0700
References: <1pat6bvdosd5h$.1v0zueckye1z0$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6mf310qql@news7.newsguy.com> <p786pc$ste$1@dont-email.me> <1c9w8k4zj6zx.1gx89wbj8m6wv$.dlg@40tude.net> <010320180923501589%nospam@nospam.invalid> <1vggtznv8eefh.wrzncjz1wss5$.dlg@40tude.net> <010320180950186847%nospam@nospam.invalid> <11idmlb0drad.ruxcmauj9dq1$.dlg@40tude.net> <JjYeXeLxZqmaFwhE@255soft.uk> <x-OdnYNI24ceKwfHnZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <1+bBgmU9bwmaFwH5@255soft.uk> <p7hkdl0mi2@news4.newsguy.com> <aUtqKPShebnaFwZl@255soft.uk> <p7kqpb01j2@news2.newsguy.com> <Xu6dnSPVYukECgPHnZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@giganews.com> <p7nr9q12mn4@news1.newsguy.com>
Am Tue, 6 Mar 2018 23:54:17 -0500, schrieb PeterN:

> Yep! Unfortunately, I learned the "humor" the hard way. But I still
> appreciate it.

*OBSERVATION that this thread topic is now long DEAD.*

In the past two decades of Usenet examples, one thing is consistent which
is that when the quote level gets to the insane level that the last twenty
posts have had, then you *know* the original technical topic was long gone.

There is a direct ratio of the longer the quoted content, the less on topic
the post.

Look above at the last 20 posts for a classic example of this phenomenon.

Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
without installing anything on either
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 15:16:21 -0500
On 3/3/2018 9:51 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>
>> A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd
>> like a pint
>> of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman,
>> "that'll be
>> ATP."
>
> Exceptionally clever.

Groan

--
PeterN

From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Full headers:
without installing anything on either
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 16:52:17 -0500
On 2018-03-04 15:16, PeterN wrote:
> On 3/3/2018 9:51 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>>
>>> A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd
>>> like a pint
>>> of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman,
>>> "that'll be
>>> ATP."
>>
>> Exceptionally clever.
>>

> Groan

Not sure you dug far enough.

From: Wolf K <wolfmac@sympatico.ca>
Full headers:
without installing anything on either
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
From: Wolf K <wolfmac@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 11:24:13 -0500
On 2018-02-22 00:07, ultred ragnusen wrote:
> I just accidentally ran into this very simple way to transfer photos from
> your phone to Windows (and back) without installing anything on either
>
> 1. I gave a few $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus phablets as gifts over Christmas and
> as a direct result I inherited a handful of new-to-me older Android phones,
> even though my main phone is a circa 2012 S3 which works just fine for me
> but which I mount on Windows to use in the native Windows file explorer
> using the Windows "Add a network location" wizard.
>
> 2. One of that handful of old phones is a circa 2014 Moto G, running
> Android 5.1, which I just plugged into Windows where I was surprised the
> phone immediately showed up as its own "XT104" USB drive.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/1xt104_a.jpg [...]

AFAIK, Windows sees all USB-connected cameras, including phones. But
unlike USB flash-drives, they do not have to be Removed. Just unplug
them when you're done.

The first time you  connect a camera, Windows may "install" it, which I
take to mean that it loads some driver.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 10:42:53 -0800
Wolf K<wolfmac@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> AFAIK, Windows sees all USB-connected cameras, including phones. But
> unlike USB flash-drives, they do not have to be Removed. Just unplug
> them when you're done.

THANK YOU for that hint!

I hope it's true, because it's a pain to have to wait to shut it down
first, but where I've had to laboriously recover (e.g., Recuva) data big
time by not shutting down the drive with USB HDD drives after copying over
large amounts of data.

So it's nice to know (if it's true) that you can just unplug a phone
without worry of data corruption.

Thanks!

From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
installing anything on either
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 15:03:41 -0500
ultred ragnusen wrote:
> Wolf K<wolfmac@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> AFAIK, Windows sees all USB-connected cameras, including phones. But
>> unlike USB flash-drives, they do not have to be Removed. Just unplug
>> them when you're done.
>
> THANK YOU for that hint!
>
> I hope it's true, because it's a pain to have to wait to shut it down
> first, but where I've had to laboriously recover (e.g., Recuva) data big
> time by not shutting down the drive with USB HDD drives after copying over
> large amounts of data.
>
> So it's nice to know (if it's true) that you can just unplug a phone
> without worry of data corruption.
>
> Thanks!

We're always here to help you with your data corruption problems.

Just be patient when it happens, OK ?

    Paul

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 17:09:21 -0800
Paul<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> We're always here to help you with your data corruption problems.
>
> Just be patient when it happens, OK ?

Now that the Win10 is set back up with MS Office 2007, I'm gonna tackle
getting the DATA back off the old hard drive.

Do you think Microsoft Support phone numbers will handle a call on Win 10
corruption due to the Microsoft Update?

From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
installing anything on either
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 20:55:09 -0500
ultred ragnusen wrote:
> Paul<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> We're always here to help you with your data corruption problems.
>>
>> Just be patient when it happens, OK ?
>
> Now that the Win10 is set back up with MS Office 2007, I'm gonna tackle
> getting the DATA back off the old hard drive.
>
> Do you think Microsoft Support phone numbers will handle a call on Win 10
> corruption due to the Microsoft Update?

They might.

Are you willing to let them remote in ?

Some people value their privacy more than they value a "repair".

Can you explain, succinctly, to the person on the phone,
what you did to the disk right after the incident ?

In other words, things that might have complicated the situation.

You may have tried that DISM command to back out
a half-finished update. That might have been one of them.
Maybe it was "revert" something-or-other. The first command is
to back out a patch that didn't actually install. The second
one would be backing out a patch that did install.

    DISM /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

    DISM /image:c:\ /remove-package /_packagename_

I think the image parameter implies the operation is an
offline one, and typically it might be /image:d:\ because
of the weird way drive letters are determine in WinPE
(what you're booted from, when trying to recover).

On a damaged disk, "CHKDSK" is a "repair-in-place" utility.
You *must* make a backup before using it, or possibly
forever lose access to the data. CHKDSK is *not* a utility
for casual usage. It's perfectly safe when the disk is
healthy... and quite deadly when the disk is sick. It's
a paradox to be resolved by creating a backup before you
use it. Even the twit on the phone should know that.

Before you allow a twit to work on that disk, you
back it up. In case my little description didn't paint
a vivid enough picture for you.

Even when you take a computer to the computer store or
to Geek Squad for repair, you back it up first!!!
No exceptions. You can use ddrescue for this, if you cannot
find anything else to use.

HTH,
    Paul

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 20:37:10 -0800
Paul<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>> Do you think Microsoft Support phone numbers will handle a call on Win 10
>> corruption due to the Microsoft Update?
>
> They might.

Today the Microsoft Support Tier 2 technician tried to "repair" the Windows
10 Pro HDD that Microsoft Windows Update bricked about a month ago.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/4xt104h.jpg

They failed. It took /hours/, where the 2nd tier Microsoft Technical
Support (+1-800-642-7676) stuck with me the entire time.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/4xt104i.jpg

Since the OS wouldn't boot, screenshots were out of the question.

So I snapped scores of new photos with the spare Moto G Android phone of
exactly the procedure Microsoft followed during the hours it took to fail,
and I transferred those photos to this computer using the "it just works"
method described in this thread.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/4xt104g.jpg

> Are you willing to let them remote in ?

Yes. I already physically replaced the HDD that Microsoft Update bricked,
which needed Office 2007 Pro, where Microsoft Technical Support
(+1-800-360-7561) remotely installed and activated MS Office for me earlier
today.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/office2007_16.jpg

They remoted into my machine in order for them to manually install
Microsoft Office 2007 Pro for me earlier today, all the steps of which are
fully documented in screenshots for group tribal knowledge here.

SOLVED: How to download an ISO image for Office 2007 Pro in the year 2018
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.g...

> Some people value their privacy more than they value a "repair".

All I care about is my data, where they would be bored to tears if they
looked at it - but my data is important to me (pictures of the grandkids,
financial records, thousands of DIY photos, etc.).

I let Microsoft remote in a second time today because they needed to create
a bootable media for me on a known-good computer, we created 1709 bootable
DVD media to attempt to repair the bricked Microsoft Windows 10 Pro.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/6xt104j.jpg

> Can you explain, succinctly, to the person on the phone,
> what you did to the disk right after the incident ?

Hmmm... I'm not known to be laconic. :)
I explained that I hit /every/ button that the recovery console provided
/except/ the one that wipes out everything and reinstalls Windows 10 Pro.

> In other words, things that might have complicated the situation.

The only thing I did that might complicate things is the DISM command you
suggested, where the 2nd tier support at Microsoft told me that they never
use DISM on a system that doesn't already boot.

I don't remember what the DISM command was that I used, but we documented
it in a prior psot so I can dig it up (they didn't seem to care since that
X:\ command prompt is the one step they never use, they told me.

> You may have tried that DISM command to back out
> a half-finished update. That might have been one of them.
> Maybe it was "revert" something-or-other. The first command is
> to back out a patch that didn't actually install. The second
> one would be backing out a patch that did install.
>
>     DISM /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
>     DISM /image:c:\ /remove-package /_packagename_

Yup. I ran whatever DISM you had suggested at the time, but they told me
that DISM won't do anything on a system that won't boot except to the
recovery console.

> On a damaged disk, "CHKDSK" is a "repair-in-place" utility.
> You *must* make a backup before using it, or possibly
> forever lose access to the data. CHKDSK is *not* a utility
> for casual usage.

You can't run CHKDSK if the disk won't mount. :)

> It's perfectly safe when the disk is
> healthy... and quite deadly when the disk is sick.

There's nothing wrong with the disk (AFAIK).

It's the Microsoft Update that bricked it. I suspect it's because I
customized the hell out of that system, to the point that Microsoft Updates
didn't work at all until recently. Then wham! Windows Update bricked the
system.

The tech support said it's because the HP machine I'm using doesn't have
drivers from HP for Win10 but I suspect it's just poor coding that can't
handle customizations.

Lesson learned - don't customize Windows 10 Pro too much.

> It's a paradox to be resolved by creating a backup before you
> use it. Even the twit on the phone should know that.

There's no way to make a backup if you can't "mount" the data.
(I see your suggestion for ddrescue below... see below for details.)

We ended up making a support appointment at the nearest Microsoft Support
Center, which, in the Silicon Valley, is open the strangest hours!
Monday = Midnight to Midnight
Tuesday = Noon to 9:30PM
Wednesday = 10am to Midnight
Thursday = 10 am to 9:30 PM
Friday = 10 am to 9:30 PM
Saturday = 10 am to 9:30 PM
Sunday = Closed

> Before you allow a twit to work on that disk, you
> back it up. In case my little description didn't paint
> a vivid enough picture for you.

I can't imagine how to back up a disk that can't be mounted.
(I see your suggestion for ddrescue below... see below for details.)

As you know, I plugged it into an SATA/IDE/PATA adapter but a known good
Windows 10 computer wouldn't mount it.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/pata_sata_ide_to_usb_adapter...

> Even when you take a computer to the computer store or
> to Geek Squad for repair, you back it up first!!!

How do you back up a terabyte HDD that won't mount?
(I see your suggestion for ddrescue below... see below for details.)

> No exceptions. You can use ddrescue for this, if you cannot
> find anything else to use.

Googling for "ddrescue" canonical site, it looks like it's dead:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ddrescueview/

Maybe the GNU link is the canonical site?
http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/

It's a gunzipped tarball, so I'll deal with that.

Seems to have some associated utilities but they don't work on Windows.
DDRescue-GUI - A simple GUI (Graphical User Interface) for ddrescue.
http://www.hamishmb.altervista.org/html/downloads.php?program_name=...

And they're dead links anyway:
Ddrescueview - A graphical viewer for GNU ddrescue log files.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ddrescueview/

Ddrutility - A set of tools designed to work with ddrescue to aid with data
recovery.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ddrutility/

I'll read up s'more on ddrescue. Thanks. We should probably take this out
of the r.p.d ng because it's off topic so I'll post a separate thread.

From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
installing anything on either
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 02:17:50 -0500
ultred ragnusen wrote:

> I'll read up s'more on ddrescue. Thanks. We should probably take this out
> of the r.p.d ng because it's off topic so I'll post a separate thread.

If you have something like Ubuntu, try "gddrescue".

The package name and the executable name, don't have
to be the same. That's what adds to the joy of figuring it out.

ddrescue is a utility that tolerates "CRC error" when reading
a disk. You can make one run after another, and the "log" file
keeps track of what sectors have not been recovered yet. Looking
at the log, you get some idea how much damage remains (in terms
of CRC errors).

The items are

    source disk
    destination disk
    log file

You present the same log file to the tool, every time you
run the same source and dest. The log file gets updated when
hard-to-read sectors are finally captured. Eventually, after
enough passes, there will be some sectors that will never be
read. And you hope that those are replaced by zeros. Then,
if you run CHKDSK on that destination drive, it might be
able to restore enough of the disk, to get (most) of the
data off it.

ddrescue is mechanical and captures sectors. It doesn't know
or care whether the partition is NTFS or EXT4. Doesn't matter.

It relies on other tools, to make sense of what it captured.

The "logical" state of the file system is another matter
entirely. For example, my Windows 10 Insider partition that
had volume bitmap corruption and some damage to Extended Attributes,
I could use ddrescue on that hard drive, and it would complete
the transfer in only one pass (the log file would be clean).
No second pass would be needed. But in order to correct the
damage on the disk, it takes a couple CHKDSK commands to finish
the job.

I don't really care all that much, what happens to my
Windows 10 Insider installs, as Windows 10 is the "software
as a service" OS, and it should "run like a King". It's
simply not possible for a product like that, to be bricked...
Right ? :-/

This would be an example of backing up a hard drive, to an
"image file". The "image file" could be restored to a new hard
drive later, say. The "S" argument in this example is sparse.
For experiments of this kind, I can prepare /dev/sdb in advance
to contain mostly zeroed data files. When the backup is
written out, it need not take much space on the storage
device. This allows backup experiments with only a small amount
of real space on the destination. I think the -b parameter
sets the max transfer size. The command is adaptive and
adjusts the block transfer according to how "bad" the disk
is. The block size is increased, as long as it improves the
overall transfer rate. If the fastest transfer is happening with
4KB blocks, then it'll use 4KB transfers instead.

ddrescue -S -b8M /dev/sdb /mount/external/backup/sdb.raw  /mount/external/backup/sdb.log

Because there was nothing wrong with the disk, I had no real
opportunity to craft a "second pass" command for it. So that
command is for the first pass. You can open the log in a
text editor, and see what remains to be transferred and whether
another pass is required.

    Paul

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 23:45:21 -0800
Paul<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>> I'll read up s'more on ddrescue. Thanks. We should probably take this out
>> of the r.p.d ng because it's off topic so I'll post a separate thread.
>
> If you have something like Ubuntu, try "gddrescue".

The fan died on my Ubuntu 16.04 laptop, but I can torrent the Ubuntu ISO
and boot off of it or even re-install VirtualBox (although it took a long
time before I had VirtualBox working on the original HDD).

I did torrent Knoppix though and burned it to a bootable DVD image,
although even with almost 2,500 peers, it still took a long while to
torrent.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/knoppix1.jpg

> The package name and the executable name, don't have
> to be the same. That's what adds to the joy of figuring it out.

I think I'll try Knoppix first, and then, perhaps Recuva, where your advice
to back up the data /before/ handing the desktop tower to Microsoft is good
advice.

> ddrescue is a utility that tolerates "CRC error" when reading
> a disk. You can make one run after another, and the "log" file
> keeps track of what sectors have not been recovered yet. Looking
> at the log, you get some idea how much damage remains (in terms
> of CRC errors).

Personally, I don't think there is any /damage/ to the HDD; I think it's as
simple as Microsoft Windows Update screwed up, perhaps because I had
customized the heck out of the system (Winaero, Classic Shell, etc.).

> ddrescue is mechanical and captures sectors. It doesn't know
> or care whether the partition is NTFS or EXT4. Doesn't matter.

Thanks for the ddrescue advice. I'm not sure yet if it's a standalone
bootable tool or something that runs inside of Windows or Linux but I'll
work it out after trying out Knoppix with the bad HDD connected via the
SATA adapter to the USB port on the desktop booted to Knoppix.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/knoppix2.jpg

From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
From: Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
installing anything on either
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 04:14:17 -0500
ultred ragnusen wrote:
> Paul<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> I'll read up s'more on ddrescue. Thanks. We should probably take this out
>>> of the r.p.d ng because it's off topic so I'll post a separate thread.
>> If you have something like Ubuntu, try "gddrescue".
>
> The fan died on my Ubuntu 16.04 laptop, but I can torrent the Ubuntu ISO
> and boot off of it or even re-install VirtualBox (although it took a long
> time before I had VirtualBox working on the original HDD).
>
> I did torrent Knoppix though and burned it to a bootable DVD image,
> although even with almost 2,500 peers, it still took a long while to
> torrent.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/knoppix1.jpg
>
>> The package name and the executable name, don't have
>> to be the same. That's what adds to the joy of figuring it out.
>
> I think I'll try Knoppix first, and then, perhaps Recuva, where your advice
> to back up the data /before/ handing the desktop tower to Microsoft is good
> advice.
>
>> ddrescue is a utility that tolerates "CRC error" when reading
>> a disk. You can make one run after another, and the "log" file
>> keeps track of what sectors have not been recovered yet. Looking
>> at the log, you get some idea how much damage remains (in terms
>> of CRC errors).
>
> Personally, I don't think there is any /damage/ to the HDD; I think it's as
> simple as Microsoft Windows Update screwed up, perhaps because I had
> customized the heck out of the system (Winaero, Classic Shell, etc.).
>
>> ddrescue is mechanical and captures sectors. It doesn't know
>> or care whether the partition is NTFS or EXT4. Doesn't matter.
>
> Thanks for the ddrescue advice. I'm not sure yet if it's a standalone
> bootable tool or something that runs inside of Windows or Linux but I'll
> work it out after trying out Knoppix with the bad HDD connected via the
> SATA adapter to the USB port on the desktop booted to Knoppix.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/knoppix2.jpg

Since the disk is "suspected good" at the hardware level,
you can use "dd" on it. Knoppix will have a copy. Every Linux
distro has "dd" on it. The "dd" utility does not tolerate CRC
errors like gddrescue does. Which is fine with your hard drive.

    sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/sparedrive/bigdisk.bin bs=512 count=...

That's the general format for storing every sector on a hard
drive, as a "very large file" stored on a second disk.

If you have two 1TB drives, then obviously when you make the
/media/sparedrive partition, it will be slightly smaller than
the thing you are copying.

However, sometimes partitions support compression. You can
also chain commands together in the command line.

Adjust the arithmetic product of blocksize and count parameters,
so the entire disk is copied. Unlike gddrescue with its adaptive
transfer scheme, "dd" expects you to do the math and copy
as much or as little of the drive as you'd like. For example,
the second command here would transfer around 1.2GB or so.

    sudo dd if=/dev/sda bs=512 count=12345678 | gzip -3 /media/sparedrive/bigdisk.bin.gz

    sudo dd if=/dev/sda bs=1048576 count=1234 | gzip -3 /media/sparedrive/bigdisk.bin.gz

Since you're in Linux, you can try...

    sudo fdisk /dev/sda

and get size info for the disk. Then, use the factor program,
to see what number makes a good fit for blocksize "bs" parameter.
(bs * count) must equal the total size info you got.

    factor 123456789

*******

Let's try an example. This is a disk sitting on my Test Machine.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk /dev/sda

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.27.1).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

Command (m for help): p
Disk /dev/sda: 477 GiB, 512110190592 bytes, 1000215216 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x72ca3ed1

Now I type "q" to quit, and move on to the next command.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ factor 512110190592
512110190592: 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 7 11 13 257
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

2^13 = 8192, which is a pretty small block size. Some newer
drives will run at the sustained transfer rate, even with that
small of a block size parameter. What I can do, is throw in
3^3 to make it a bit larger. 2^13 * 3^3 = 221184 bytes.

Dividing 512110190592 by 221184, completes the job (2315313)

To copy my 500GB specimen, I'd use

    sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/sparedrive/bigdisk.bin bs=221184 count=2315313

knowing that I'm getting every sector of the source. If the
destination drive is slightly too small, I have the option
of piping the output into a compression command of some sort.
There's possibly a p7zip-full package and a command line 7zip invocation
to achieve a higher compression ratio. But it would be
significantly slower.

There is also the pigz package, which is like gzip only it allows
more than one CPU core to be used. The ZIP that 7ZIP does, uses
a single core by comparison, when compressing. Some other 7ZIP
formats, use multiple cores.

    sudo dd if=/dev/sda bs=221184 count=2315313 | pigz -3 -p 4 out.bin.gz

Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure out something.

To restore the disk later, it would be something like

    unpigz -c out.bin.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sda bs=221184 count=2315313

On some platforms, you can use if=- to stand for "stdin" and
of=- for "stdout". But it's also possible the command understands
the piping situation and the "missing" portion of the command,
to mean the same thing. That's why my last command doesn't have
an input file specification.

To do something like this (i.e. not specify if= and of=),
it's going to copy stdin to stdout.

    cat sample.bin | dd > destination.bin

If I wanted to be more explicit I could do this

    cat sample.bin | dd if=- of=- > destination.bin

or even

    cat sample.bin | dd if=- of=destination.bin

would copy the file in chunks of 512 bytes. The pipe symbol has
a buffer which is larger than that, so the chunks are probably
of no consequence. Running dd with default bs=512 is usually
pretty slow and only does around 13MB/sec.

*******

There's also things like clonezilla. For example, making an exact
copy of one terabyte disk to a second terabyte disk. Sometimes you
get lucky, and they're the same size. Since you have the
sudo fdisk command to check the exact size of each drive, you
can check the drives before deciding what to do. I've not used
clonezilla, so cannot give a rundown on any "tricks".

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/clone-your-linux-ins...

    Paul

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 20:22:49 -0800
Paul<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure out something.

Hi Paul,

I picked up the desktop today from the Microsoft Retail Store.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/27/ms_retail_store_1.jpg

On my way home, I stopped off at Fryes, to pick up the two cables needed to
attach the second HDD, which was a red SATA III cable and a molex to SATA
flat cable.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/27/sata_cables_1.jpg

Putting the new HDD in the SATA1 slot of the motherboard, I can boot off of
the new drive which has the latest Windows 10 Pro ISO installed.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/27/boot_device_2.jpg

Now that it's confirmed by the Microsoft Retail Store that the operating
system the Windows 10 update bricked is a goner, there's really nothing
left to do but back up the data and then format the disk as a new disk.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/27/mounted_file_system8f091.jpg

I don't need two terabytes, where I never even needed one terabyte, so, I
guess I'm going to learn how to RAID these things. :)

From: Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
Full headers:
From: Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
References: <1pat6bvdosd5h$.1v0zueckye1z0$.dlg@40tude.net> <N8CjC.87760$CZ2.56323@fx39.iad> <k1708hh1x1bm.4u71bsj0gbj3$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6n7mu$cuh$1@dont-email.me> <19gis5r2t3woe$.15ka8hlpcnip0$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6qglu$241$1@dont-email.me> <o66qfunblm25$.d86c1aqs9mu2.dlg@40tude.net> <p6r3j0$lvd$1@dont-email.me> <v3smci51vrvo.1i8t00wrqgmf2$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6rada$qtb$1@dont-email.me> <172x3hc3kjbb1.otdop273lc0c.dlg@40tude.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 19:29:11 -0600
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 20:22:49 -0800, ultred ragnusen<ultred@ragnusen.com> wrote:

>Putting the new HDD in the SATA1 slot of the motherboard, I can boot off of
>the new drive which has the latest Windows 10 Pro ISO installed.
>http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/27/boot_device_2.jpg
>
>Now that it's confirmed by the Microsoft Retail Store that the operating
>system the Windows 10 update bricked is a goner, there's really nothing
>left to do but back up the data and then format the disk as a new disk.
>http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/27/mounted_file_system8f091.jpg
>
>I don't need two terabytes, where I never even needed one terabyte, so, I
>guess I'm going to learn how to RAID these things. :)

In my experience, RAID is quite fragile. I've learned through experience
to avoid it on my personal machines.

--

Char Jackson

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 23:31:33 -0500
References: <1pat6bvdosd5h$.1v0zueckye1z0$.dlg@40tude.net> <N8CjC.87760$CZ2.56323@fx39.iad> <k1708hh1x1bm.4u71bsj0gbj3$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6n7mu$cuh$1@dont-email.me> <19gis5r2t3woe$.15ka8hlpcnip0$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6qglu$241$1@dont-email.me> <o66qfunblm25$.d86c1aqs9mu2.dlg@40tude.net> <p6r3j0$lvd$1@dont-email.me> <v3smci51vrvo.1i8t00wrqgmf2$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6rada$qtb$1@dont-email.me> <172x3hc3kjbb1.otdop273lc0c.dlg@40tude.net> <qole9dpq61i8ju7a67jtk7m20qh60bcvpv@4ax.com>
In article<qole9dpq61i8ju7a67jtk7m20qh60bcvpv@4ax.com>, Char Jackson<none@none.invalid> wrote:

> >I don't need two terabytes, where I never even needed one terabyte, so, I
> >guess I'm going to learn how to RAID these things. :)
>
> In my experience, RAID is quite fragile. I've learned through experience
> to avoid it on my personal machines.

raid is definitely *not* fragile. it's extremely robust, although not
the best choice in every situation.

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 21:04:16 -0800
References: <1pat6bvdosd5h$.1v0zueckye1z0$.dlg@40tude.net> <N8CjC.87760$CZ2.56323@fx39.iad> <k1708hh1x1bm.4u71bsj0gbj3$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6n7mu$cuh$1@dont-email.me> <19gis5r2t3woe$.15ka8hlpcnip0$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6qglu$241$1@dont-email.me> <o66qfunblm25$.d86c1aqs9mu2.dlg@40tude.net> <p6r3j0$lvd$1@dont-email.me> <v3smci51vrvo.1i8t00wrqgmf2$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6rada$qtb$1@dont-email.me> <172x3hc3kjbb1.otdop273lc0c.dlg@40tude.net> <qole9dpq61i8ju7a67jtk7m20qh60bcvpv@4ax.com> <280220182331338373%nospam@nospam.invalid>
nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>>I don't need two terabytes, where I never even needed one terabyte, so, I
>>>guess I'm going to learn how to RAID these things. :)
>>
>> In my experience, RAID is quite fragile. I've learned through experience
>> to avoid it on my personal machines.
>
> raid is definitely *not* fragile. it's extremely robust, although not
> the best choice in every situation.

Based on listening to the conversation about RAID from those of you who
have experience that I lack, I think I'll keep those snakes out of my
aquarium.

Thanks!

Since I now have far more disk space than I currently need, most likely,
I'll just dual boot with Ubuntu & Windows 10 using grub following one of
the many tutorials.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/dual-boot-windows-10-linux/
1. Install Windows 10 Pro
2. Install Ubuntu alongside Windows
3. Set Grub to choose either one by default

Full headers:
From: Anonymous <anonymous@foto.nl1.torservers.net>
without installing anything on either
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 17:02:26 -0400 (EDT)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
In article<qole9dpq61i8ju7a67jtk7m20qh60bcvpv@4ax.com>
Char Jackson<none@none.invalid> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 20:22:49 -0800, ultred ragnusen
><ultred@ragnusen.com> wrote:
>
> >Putting the new HDD in the SATA1 slot of the motherboard, I can boot off of
> >the new drive which has the latest Windows 10 Pro ISO installed.
> >http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/27/boot_device_2.jpg
> >
> >Now that it's confirmed by the Microsoft Retail Store that the operating
> >system the Windows 10 update bricked is a goner, there's really nothing
> >left to do but back up the data and then format the disk as a new disk.
> >http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/27/mounted_file_system8f091.jpg
> >
> >I don't need two terabytes, where I never even needed one terabyte, so, I
> >guess I'm going to learn how to RAID these things. :)
>
> In my experience, RAID is quite fragile. I've learned through experience
> to avoid it on my personal machines.
>
> --
>
> Char Jackson

Dig that, people, Raid criticising RAID.

Wow!