> Prev
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Subject: How to add "Start > Run > snip" to bring up the screenshot SnippingTool in Windows 7,8, and 10
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:22:49 -0800
This is a hint for the tribal-knowledge archives on Windows screenshotting.

In the Windows 10 ng, we just found a way to get this to work just fine:
 Start > Run > snip
to bring up a snipping tool for capturing & modifying screenshots in either
Windows 10 or Windows 7 (and presumably Windows 8).

Simply export the existing registry "App Paths" key for "SnippingTool.exe"
and change /just/ the key name in the text *.reg file from
"SnippingTool.exe" to "snip.exe" and then re-import that new key
by doubleclicking on the *.reg file to create a new "App Paths" key.

Everything is exactly the same between the two keys, except the key name.

Original key name:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\SnippingTool.exe

Additional key name:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\snip.exe

Once you export the old key and import it as a new key, this then works:
Start > Run > snip

Of course, if you use the "search box" instead of the "Run box", then
typing almost anything that starts with S or SN or SNI or SNIP will also
work, so this hint is only about getting it to work in the Run box.

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:32:09 -0800
ultred ragnusen<ultred@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> In the Windows 10 ng, we just found a way to get this to work just fine:
>  Start > Run > snip
> to bring up a snipping tool for capturing & modifying screenshots in either
> Windows 10 or Windows 7 (and presumably Windows 8).
>
> Simply export the existing registry "App Paths" key for "SnippingTool.exe"
> and change /just/ the key name in the text *.reg file from
> "SnippingTool.exe" to "snip.exe" and then re-import that new key
> by doubleclicking on the *.reg file to create a new "App Paths" key.

For the tribal knowledge update, here's how to add a Run command to the
later Windows versions which don't have it by default where it used to be
in Windows XP days...

1. Keyboard method to open a "Run" box.
WindowsKey+r

2. Power-user menu method to open a "Run" box.
WindowsKey+x > Run

3. Orb method to open a "Run" box
Right-click on the Windows Orb > Run

4. Cortana method to open a "Run" box.
Cortana > run > Run

5. Start menu method to open a "Run" box.
Start > Windows System > Run

6. Tile method to open a "Run" box.
Start > Windows System > Run > RightClickOnThatIcon > Pin to Start
(That will put a "Run" icon in the Windows touchscreen start tiles.)

7. Shortcut method to open a "Run" box.
Right-click > New > Shortcut >
Location = explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f3-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}
Name = RunBox

8. Another "start > run" menu method to open a "Run" box.
Supposedly you used to be able to drag-and-drop that RunBox.lnk shortcut to
the start menu, but it didn't work for me on Windows 10 Pro today.

Once you have that Run box, the method shown in the original post will work
to make "Start > Run > snip" bring up the Windows snipping tool.

Methods A and B below should also have worked just fine, as I've been using
that method of creating quick commands on Windows for decades, but for some
reason (probably I found yet another Windows bug, which seems to be my
gift), A & B below do not work - but C works just fine.

A. Creating this new key /should/ have worked but it did not work
(I suspect this is due to a Windows bug because I've been doing this App
Paths command-creation technique for decades!)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\snip.exe
Default = %windir%\system32\SnippingTool.exe

B. Creating this also /should/ have worked, but it did not work (same bug!)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\snip.exe
Default = %SystemRoot%\system32\SnippingTool.exe

C. This worked but it should have done the same as the above anyway!
a. Right click on the SnippingTool.exe key
b. Export to "SnippingTool.reg"
c. Change only "SnippingTool.exe" to "snip.exe" & save as "snip.reg"
d. Doubleclick on "snip.reg" and it will create the new key "snip.exe".

Why A & B above don't work, but C does, might be a Windows bug.

Here is the content of the SnippingTool.reg & snip.reg for tribal archives.

:=== < cut below for SnippingTool.reg > ===:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\SnippingTool.exe]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
  00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,53,00,6e,00,\
  69,00,70,00,70,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,54,00,6f,00,6f,00,6c,00,2e,00,65,00,78,\
  00,65,00,00,00

:=== < cut above for SnippingTool.reg > ===:
:=== < cut below for snip.reg > ===:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\snip.exe]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
  00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,53,00,6e,00,\
  69,00,70,00,70,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,54,00,6f,00,6f,00,6c,00,2e,00,65,00,78,\
  00,65,00,00,00

:=== < cut above for snip.reg > ===:

From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Full headers:
Subject: Re: How to add "Start > Run > snip" to bring up the screenshot
SnippingTool in Windows 7,8, and 10
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 21:19:52 +0000
On 28/02/2018 20:22, ultred ragnusen wrote:
> This is a hint for the tribal-knowledge archives on Windows screenshotting.
>
> In the Windows 10 ng, we just found a way to get this to work just fine:
>   Start > Run > snip
> to bring up a snipping tool for capturing & modifying screenshots in either
> Windows 10 or Windows 7 (and presumably Windows 8).
>
> Simply export the existing registry "App Paths" key for "SnippingTool.exe"
> and change /just/ the key name in the text *.reg file from
> "SnippingTool.exe" to "snip.exe" and then re-import that new key
> by doubleclicking on the *.reg file to create a new "App Paths" key.
>
> Everything is exactly the same between the two keys, except the key name.
>
> Original key name:
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\SnippingTool.exe
>
> Additional key name:
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\snip.exe
>
> Once you export the old key and import it as a new key, this then works:
> Start > Run > snip
>
> Of course, if you use the "search box" instead of the "Run box", then
> typing almost anything that starts with S or SN or SNI or SNIP will also
> work, so this hint is only about getting it to work in the Run box.

FWIW, I just keep the snipping tool pinned to the taskbar together with
the other stuff that I use all the time (Word, Excel, Paint, Chrome,
Thunderbird, Spotify, etc).

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 13:44:20 -0800
newshound<newshound@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I just keep the snipping tool pinned to the taskbar together with
> the other stuff that I use all the time (Word, Excel, Paint, Chrome,
> Thunderbird, Spotify, etc).

That's a good observation that /any/ tool you use often can be kept handy,
but having /all/ the tools you use handy is where clutter raises its ugly
head.

Being able to edit the HOSTS file, for example, just by typing "hosts" in
the "Start > Run" box, is handy, and negates the need to put a HOSTS.lnk
shortcut to clutter your taskbar.

Personally, I screenshot all the time with the Win+PrtScrn or
PrtScrn-and-paste method, where I rarely use SnippingTool.exe, so I
wouldn't want the Snipping Tool to clutter my menus.

The advantage of the "Start > Run" method is it avoids clutter.

When I want it, I can just type snip!

From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: newshound <newshound@stevejqr.plus.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 15:46:28 +0000
On 28/02/2018 21:44, ultred ragnusen wrote:
> newshound<newshound@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I just keep the snipping tool pinned to the taskbar together with
>> the other stuff that I use all the time (Word, Excel, Paint, Chrome,
>> Thunderbird, Spotify, etc).
>
> That's a good observation that /any/ tool you use often can be kept handy,
> but having /all/ the tools you use handy is where clutter raises its ugly
> head.
>
> Being able to edit the HOSTS file, for example, just by typing "hosts" in
> the "Start > Run" box, is handy, and negates the need to put a HOSTS.lnk
> shortcut to clutter your taskbar.
>
> Personally, I screenshot all the time with the Win+PrtScrn or
> PrtScrn-and-paste method, where I rarely use SnippingTool.exe, so I
> wouldn't want the Snipping Tool to clutter my menus.
>
> The advantage of the "Start > Run" method is it avoids clutter.
>
> When I want it, I can just type snip!

Each to their own. I *never* take a full screenshot, but I do a lot of
snipping.

From: Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
Full headers:
From: Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 21:28:16 -0600
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:22:49 -0800, ultred ragnusen<ultred@ragnusen.com> wrote:

>This is a hint for the tribal-knowledge archives on Windows screenshotting.
>
>In the Windows 10 ng, we just found a way to get this to work just fine:
> Start > Run > snip
>to bring up a snipping tool for capturing & modifying screenshots in either
>Windows 10 or Windows 7 (and presumably Windows 8).
>
>Simply export the existing registry "App Paths" key for "SnippingTool.exe"
>and change /just/ the key name in the text *.reg file from
>"SnippingTool.exe" to "snip.exe" and then re-import that new key
>by doubleclicking on the *.reg file to create a new "App Paths" key.
>
>Everything is exactly the same between the two keys, except the key name.
>
>Original key name:
>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\SnippingTool.exe
>
>Additional key name:
>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\snip.exe
>
>Once you export the old key and import it as a new key, this then works:
>Start > Run > snip
>
>Of course, if you use the "search box" instead of the "Run box", then
>typing almost anything that starts with S or SN or SNI or SNIP will also
>work, so this hint is only about getting it to work in the Run box.

I'd hazard to guess that most Windows users will choose to use the
built-in functionality, what you call the search box, since it's already
there and it works well for this task and related tasks. AFAICT, nothing
is gained by trying to use the Run box. It's all cons and no pros.

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 21:17:49 -0800
Char Jackson<none@none.invalid> wrote:

> I'd hazard to guess that most Windows users will choose to use the
> built-in functionality, what you call the search box, since it's already
> there and it works well for this task and related tasks. AFAICT, nothing
> is gained by trying to use the Run box. It's all cons and no pros.

Your concerns are fair because you're not thinking about the problem set
the way I am thinking about it.

I'm thinking globally. You're thinking about the specific actions by
Microsoft after four very specific characters are typed in the order given,
of first "S" then "N" and then "I" and then "P", where Microsoft has seen
to it (via magic in essence) that this brings up the tool /they/ want it to
bring up.

However ... I'm thinking of the problem set more globally than are you.
What happens if you type the reverse of SNIP, which is pins.

Don't try it!
Just tell me /exactly/ what happens when you type P then I then N then S.

What's that?
You don't know?

What if you typed PINS in the "Start > Run" box?
Do you know what will happen?

I do.
In fact, I know /exactly/ what will happen, and better yet, I know exactly
what to do if I want to create a command called "pins" where I want
something to happen when I type it into the "Start > Run" box.

We are looking at the problem set from completely different philosophical
viewpoints, one of which is, essentially random, and the other is orderly.

From: Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
Full headers:
From: Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 05:27:35 -0600
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 21:17:49 -0800, ultred ragnusen<ultred@ragnusen.com> wrote:

>Char Jackson<none@none.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I'd hazard to guess that most Windows users will choose to use the
>> built-in functionality, what you call the search box, since it's already
>> there and it works well for this task and related tasks. AFAICT, nothing
>> is gained by trying to use the Run box. It's all cons and no pros.
>
>Your concerns are fair because you're not thinking about the problem set
>the way I am thinking about it.
>
>I'm thinking globally. You're thinking about the specific actions by
>Microsoft after four very specific characters are typed in the order given,
>of first "S" then "N" and then "I" and then "P", where Microsoft has seen
>to it (via magic in essence) that this brings up the tool /they/ want it to
>bring up.
>
>However ... I'm thinking of the problem set more globally than are you.
>What happens if you type the reverse of SNIP, which is pins.

The result is logical and completely expected: With "snip" so badly
misspelled, Snipping Tool is not in the list of results. Were you
expecting something different, or do you agree that this is logical and
completely expected? If it happened to me, I'd simply correct the
spelling and move on.

>Don't try it!
>Just tell me /exactly/ what happens when you type P then I then N then S.
>
>What's that?
>You don't know?
>
>What if you typed PINS in the "Start > Run" box?
>Do you know what will happen?

If I was looking for Snipping Tool, "pins" isn't going to help me via
the Run box either, so the result is essentially the same. Either way, I
wouldn't have launched the Snipping Tool.

In a more global sense, it's exactly the same for most things, I'd
assume. Sometimes a badly misspelled string will find something
interesting, but just correct the spelling and move on, right?

>I do.
>In fact, I know /exactly/ what will happen, and better yet, I know exactly
>what to do if I want to create a command called "pins" where I want
>something to happen when I type it into the "Start > Run" box.

We aren't talking about creating new commands. We're not, right? We're
talking about quickly launching a known command or application. We don't
need to jump through hoops for that.

>We are looking at the problem set from completely different philosophical
>viewpoints, one of which is, essentially random, and the other is orderly.

I wouldn't have used those two words. The labels that we give things,
such as random in this case, can blind a person unnecessarily to the
possibilities. For me, there's nothing random about it.

From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 14:45:36 -0800
Char Jackson<none@none.invalid> wrote:

> The result is logical and completely expected: With "snip" so badly
> misspelled, Snipping Tool is not in the list of results. Were you
> expecting something different, or do you agree that this is logical and
> completely expected? If it happened to me, I'd simply correct the
> spelling and move on.

We don't disagree on the facts - we only differ on the philosophy.

You seem to be thinking that Cortana always comes up with the right answer,
which is exactly what you're looking for - but it's just not capable of
that.

For example, type in "clean disk" and one of the choices is the desired
"Disk Cleanup" tool, whose actual command is %windir%\system32\cleanmgr.exe

But you have to know enough about Cortana to know it won't give you that
answer if you enter, instead, "Clean Up System Files

Next <
From: Bob_S <noone@here.com>
Full headers:
From: "Bob_S" <noone@here.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 19:32:34 -0400
"ultred ragnusen"  wrote in message

>This is a hint for the tribal-knowledge archives on Windows screenshotting.
>
>In the Windows 10 ng, we just found a way to get this to work just fine:
> Start > Run > snip
>to bring up a snipping tool for capturing & modifying screenshots in either
>Windows 10 or Windows 7 (and presumably Windows 8).
>
>Simply export the existing registry "App Paths" key for "SnippingTool.exe"
>and change /just/ the key name in the text *.reg file from
>"SnippingTool.exe" to "snip.exe" and then re-import that new key
>by doubleclicking on the *.reg file to create a new "App Paths" key.
>
>Everything is exactly the same between the two keys, except the key name.
>
>Original key name:
>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\SnippingTool.exe
>
>Additional key name:
>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\snip.exe
>
>Once you export the old key and import it as a new key, this then works:
>Start > Run > snip
>
>Of course, if you use the "search box" instead of the "Run box", then
>typing almost anything that starts with S or SN or SNI or SNIP will also
>work, so this hint is only about getting it to work in the Run box.

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\SnippingTool. exe and then right-click on
the file and drag it to your desktop and drop it and select Make Shortcut
Here.  Now all you have to do is click on the shortcut and it opens...
--
Bob S.